Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48209 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2018, 05:49:52 pm »

"Wait, 'counterpart on my side?' What does that even mean? And why is that boy's face vaguely familiar?"

...What is even going on anymore? I let you speak to gain answers, NOT more questions"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 22, 2018, 01:28:46 am »

I'll juststay up in the air for now, keeping an eye on the falming guy and the old dude on teh roof, and watching where the butterfly and wyvern go - noting who their handlers are.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 22, 2018, 07:57:45 am »

"So, let me get this straight: the Ghost Hunting Club wants to aid people by hunting down these 'demons' while the 'Geography' Club just want to tame them, the 'demons' who approach them just like Miya's dragon did," Nagisa said as she willed her Celestial Repeater into nonexistence. "What makes each club so bad that joining the other would be preferable? If there are good 'demon- 'monsters' out there, won't it be logical to... combine the two clubs? We can 'recruit' the benign monsters while hunting down the 'demons', the bad monsters."

That is smart, sensible and I dont see anyone going for it.

The people who believe in the best of others dont like to believe that some times, the best solution is a sword, and the people who believe in the worst of people believe that any attempt to find another way will be punished by the others they try to trust.

Maybe we should make our own club?

My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2018, 01:23:44 am »

"Wait, 'counterpart on my side?' What does that even mean? And why is that boy's face vaguely familiar?"

...What is even going on anymore? I let you speak to gain answers, NOT more questions"

The old man clicks his tongue.
"Son, you should know by now that we elder's aren't infallible..." He sits up on the lawn chair and reaches over to pick the fruit.
"The kid is a classmate of yours? I thought for sure he was. Then again, as I am not a human, it's a bit hard to tell ages. Some of us are, you know, really scary, like big monsters, giant insects, maybe a fire-breathing lizard."

With that, he takes a bite out of the face-fruit. It's made up of white fibers with small black seeds inside.
"Want some?"

"So, let me get this straight: the Ghost Hunting Club wants to aid people by hunting down these 'demons' while the 'Geography' Club just want to tame them, the 'demons' who approach them just like Miya's dragon did," Nagisa said as she willed her Celestial Repeater into nonexistence. "What makes each club so bad that joining the other would be preferable? If there are good 'demon- 'monsters' out there, won't it be logical to... combine the two clubs? We can 'recruit' the benign monsters while hunting down the 'demons', the bad monsters."
That is smart, sensible and I dont see anyone going for it.

The people who believe in the best of others dont like to believe that some times, the best solution is a sword, and the people who believe in the worst of people believe that any attempt to find another way will be punished by the others they try to trust.

Maybe we should make our own club?

The crossbow-styled weapon vanishes into a cloud of gossamer dragonflies. Before you can blink, they're gone as well.

Youka gives off a loud sigh. "I'm with you. If it were so simple to combine the two, I'd be all for it. But Geography's leadership is questionable to say the least. That guy with the book over there,"
She motions toward the bleachers, where the magician with the glowing book stands up and stuffs the into his purple surcoat and steps out to meet the giant moth crawling in the field as it crosses over into the covered area shared by the bleachers and indoor courts.
Some of the students have already gone to play basketball in the meantime, as the crows above don't seem to be decreasing in number.

"You three--" she looks up to find Makiko still in the sky. "Err, probably don't this, but every time they get a new member, they go hiking in the mountains. They can practice fighting all they want and thanks to magic they can heal themselves of any damage. It's a special kind of club for special people."

"Know that there are two things in this world which can end your second life. The beasts which brought us here can eat us, but the beast that summoned you will probably defend you from other beasts. If only guarding its prey.
But keep in mind that any lost soul, any of us given the power of magic, can also end a life. And up in the mountains, far away from beast-hunting clubs in nearby schools, a master like the Club President can do as he wishes."

"The Geography club got in trouble a while back, so they started sending adult chaperones to supervise the visit. That doesn't seem to have stopped the training. Hway, do you know what powers he has?"
Hway looks blankly.
"I haven't spied on them! You know they're aware of my existence, right? If they caught me following them into the mountains, they might cause our club a great deal of trouble."

Perhaps its not so self evident that a bird knows what to do with it.Mitsuru drops the food to see what happens when the crow lets go of her. Also she strolls into any near by object that see can't see, and walks back to her position and releases her power.

The crows both leap off your hand. Judging by the sound of their pecking, you can tell easily that they are still with you.

Investigating further, you faintly recall there being a chain-link fence nearby, cordoning off mechanical equipment to the masses. You orient yourself, using the fire next to you as a beacon, and walk toward the direction you expected the chain link fence to be, eventually stumbling upon a waist-height object that you deem to be the generator.

It seems that you were able to walk through the fence but not the generator.

You head back and hop back into existence. A blinding flash of light and the onslaught of crow noises greet you, but the food you dropped as well as the two crows you tricked are nowhere to be seen. You reconfirm your suspicions about the generator and chain-link fence, and then notice a clear blue sky peeking out through the rainclouds.

While looking at the sky, you also notice a girl riding a giant crow. Not something you see every day. She swoops across the rooftop momentarily, and the crow's course corrects as to circle back over.

I'll juststay up in the air for now, keeping an eye on the falming guy and the old dude on teh roof, and watching where the butterfly and wyvern go - noting who their handlers are.

The giant moth retreats under the roofed area where the bleachers and ball courts are, circling around its handler who steps away from the bleachers and pockets his magical tome, but the wyvern remains in the field, staring intently at the bleachers and blowing a grey mist out of its nostrils. The handler seems to be in the bleachers, and he doesn't want to come out to meet the beast.
The conversation on the rooftop seems to be progressing normally. You can tell Morrigan is interested... she tries to swoop in as close as possible. You also spot a girl on the other side of the school from your friends, standing next to a bonfire. It looks like she sees you.

...It occurs to you that if other people can't see Morrigan, then you could very well appear to be flying in the sky to normal people. Not that flying in the sky alone is better than being carried by a giant crow. Still, Morrigan seems to feel the pressure and her movements seem to account for this, putting the school building in the way of yourself and the bleachers.

The sky is clearing up as the swarms of crows pick off the last remaining infestation. The giant serpent, which attacked you and your friends, is now a skeleton. Youka is making arm signals for you to return.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2018, 06:38:48 am »

Alright, I'll land discretely (hahahahahaha) on the roof, near the conversation that Morrigan is interested in, and let Morrigan listen in. Guess I'll listen in as well :P

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »

"So basically, the Geography Club are too reckless for their own good and are trifling with beings whose ultimate motives remain unknown, possibly until it's too late," Nagisa concluded as she played with a few loose strands of her long, dark purple hair. "Hmm and here I am, thinking that it's strange that these 'demons' would choose to hang out with people like us instead of trying to eat us."

Thinking about what Hway said after getting killed by a fellow lost soul, Nagisa thought back to when she was shot by one of the hitmen. "Anyway, let's say that, hypothetically, someone else, like a mundane for example, wants to kill you for a variety of reasons. Is it possible for them to actually succeed in doing so with mundane weapons despite you being a lost soul?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »

Mitsuru retries her experiment, this time put her cell phone (turned on) on a surface and try to walk through it. Also try walking through wires. Also see where the crows are did time freeze for them? Are they close to her? Or back where's she first entered.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2018, 10:08:25 am »

Thinking about what Hway said after getting killed by a fellow lost soul, Nagisa thought back to when she was shot by one of the hitmen. "Anyway, let's say that, hypothetically, someone else, like a mundane for example, wants to kill you for a variety of reasons. Is it possible for them to actually succeed in doing so with mundane weapons despite you being a lost soul?"
We are tougher dead then we were alive? this is the first I have heard of that.

"It maybe a good idea to find out exactly what they are doing up there, could be useful to know and if it is bad enough could be used to break the club up."
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2018, 03:35:52 pm »

"...no thank you. So, you're one of those lares as well... what IS your kind called anyway? I've heard monster, beast, demon. What's your purpose here, other then chasing and annoying returned spirits?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 01, 2018, 02:06:47 am »

"...no thank you. So, you're one of those lares as well... what IS your kind called anyway? I've heard monster, beast, demon. What's your purpose here, other then chasing and annoying returned spirits?"

"That's not very nice." he wears the face of an innocent old man rather well. "I don't know what you'd call us, but I can't say I know any Larry's either. Or buried one for that matter.
I suppose we bear lots of similarities to what this country calls kami. Something like a Concept, perhaps. Not quite a young, single-bodied existence like yours. Rather, you could say I'm older than history. Got my fair share of memories from back in the old days. Though I don't always remember having this much fun back then."

"I'll tell you what, though. You should track down that Concept of yours. Some part of me wants to put together a gang and puzzle things out. Maybe that'll clear things up."

Alright, I'll land discretely (hahahahahaha) on the roof, near the conversation that Morrigan is interested in, and let Morrigan listen in. Guess I'll listen in as well :P

You hear the old man speak--he speaks of ancient beings, older than history, and jokes about having more fun today than ever. You didn't quite catch the gist of what he was talking about earlier.

"I'll tell you what, though," he continues. "You should track down that Concept of yours. Some part of me wants to put together a gang and puzzle things out. Maybe that'll clear things up."

Mitsuru retries her experiment, this time put her cell phone (turned on) on a surface and try to walk through it. Also try walking through wires. Also see where the crows are did time freeze for them? Are they close to her? Or back where's she first entered.

You decide to walk through the power cables attached to the transformer, for whatever reason. Inside the dark dimension, you find yourself able to pass through all manner of high-current power delivery mechanisms without fail.
After your quick experiment, you hear two pairs of wings fluttering in your general direction, though seeing black crows in a pitch-black void is not practicable by any means. It seems they aren't fans of this barren and empty world, and leaving them here would probably qualify as inhumane.

We are tougher dead then we were alive? this is the first I have heard of that.

"It maybe a good idea to find out exactly what they are doing up there, could be useful to know and if it is bad enough could be used to break the club up."

"So basically, the Geography Club are too reckless for their own good and are trifling with beings whose ultimate motives remain unknown, possibly until it's too late," Nagisa concluded as she played with a few loose strands of her long, dark purple hair. "Hmm and here I am, thinking that it's strange that these 'demons' would choose to hang out with people like us instead of trying to eat us."

"Don't get ambitious--you're only alive right now thanks to the vast amount of magic holding you together. The more you use, the more it attracts the monsters that hunt souls like us."
"Too much magic in one place, and this happens," Hway pans her arm across the mutated landscape.
"But to answer your question, I heard one rumor from a student that left Geography club. Supposedly, the club president sent someone to break into a local yakuza place after some thug overheard their conversations. He got shot repeatedly but he made it back, and his body ended up looking like it was rotting from the inside out. He's healthy now... but there's now rumors of killer law enforcement robots running about."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2018, 07:42:56 am »

Kami? Ancient beings of great power? Oh no. No, I don't want to see this, to hear this.

Makiko makes herself as small as possible, hiding behind Morrigan and ready to order the bird to fly should the "Kami" show any signs of aggression.

I should have landed next to Nagisa instead. What was I thinking?

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2018, 07:59:18 pm »

Nagisa rubbed her chin thoughtfully. Though the word 'yakuza seemed strange to the person she once was, the knowledge this body contained descriptions of a criminal organization operating within Japan, inspired by the 'mafias' currently present in the west, wherever countries they may be. If it's true that civilian gun ownership is illegal in Japan then perhaps those men who attacked her last night were no doubt crooks who either worked for this 'Yakuza' or were independent. However, this information only proved they're criminals and that's not exactly a stunning revelation for her. Who ordered the hit on Nagisa and why was still a mystery to her and, thanks to the vast stores of magic Youka just mentioned that kept her from getting killed, this person of interest now knows that she's still 'alive' and will no doubt try again. However, regardless of what exactly did the old Nagisa get herself into, the new Nagisa felt powerful and even more confident due to having more control over her newfound abilities. Even if they're incapable of harming or killing mundanes, at least she will prove that she won't go down easily.

Let them come and face her wrath. She'll be ready for them this time...

"What do you mean by 'robots'?" Nagisa asked as she focused on Youka's second piece of information. "Do they perform the duties of city guards and sheriffs in this time period?"

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2018, 01:13:57 am »

"'Older then history' you say? That narrows it down to either ghosts, angels or demons.I'll be generous and say you're the former. Regardless, that really doesn't explain why you keep targeting us. Is it simply a twisted form of enjoyment for your kind? I doubt it's just that."

Gaius thought he could heard a faint flapping sound, but ignored it. Given all that happened, he'd be more surprised if the crows were not panicked. Animals were always more aware of the supernatural then most humans.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »

So injuries still have an effect even if they are not as damaging as they once were. Good to know

Do you have any tips on defending ourselves if more monster show up without all the back up we had here?

Also who was the witch that led the monsters here? 
My Sig

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 09, 2018, 01:28:33 am »

"'Older then history' you say? That narrows it down to either ghosts, angels or demons.I'll be generous and say you're the former. Regardless, that really doesn't explain why you keep targeting us. Is it simply a twisted form of enjoyment for your kind? I doubt it's just that."

Gaius thought he could heard a faint flapping sound, but ignored it. Given all that happened, he'd be more surprised if the crows were not panicked. Animals were always more aware of the supernatural then most humans.
Kami? Ancient beings of great power? Oh no. No, I don't want to see this, to hear this.

Makiko makes herself as small as possible, hiding behind Morrigan and ready to order the bird to fly should the "Kami" show any signs of aggression.

I should have landed next to Nagisa instead. What was I thinking?

"Angels? Demons? I'm not a fan of either," the kami elects to say. "They tend to get in the way of things, you see. Oh, I just remembered something..."

He slowly gets up and dusts himself off.

"While I can't say I didn't enjoy causing this little spectacle, I wouldn't call it twisted, not at all! It's just the way we are. What's that one book say... does a pot ask, 'Why'd you make me this way?'"
Pacing around, he grows notably more irritated.
"Look, just because I can't control my impulse to rot everything over... I'm just testing the waters! That's all it is. Nothing personal...

Right, I need to ask you something. Have you any, ahem, ninjas? I saw one a while back. He looked something like this..."
The fruit tree grows a set of faces, depicting a masked head wearing a black veil. The old man plucks the veil off of one of them to reveal the face.

Nagisa rubbed her chin thoughtfully. Though the word 'yakuza seemed strange to the person she once was, the knowledge this body contained descriptions of a criminal organization operating within Japan, inspired by the 'mafias' currently present in the west, wherever countries they may be. If it's true that civilian gun ownership is illegal in Japan then perhaps those men who attacked her last night were no doubt crooks who either worked for this 'Yakuza' or were independent. However, this information only proved they're criminals and that's not exactly a stunning revelation for her. Who ordered the hit on Nagisa and why was still a mystery to her and, thanks to the vast stores of magic Youka just mentioned that kept her from getting killed, this person of interest now knows that she's still 'alive' and will no doubt try again. However, regardless of what exactly did the old Nagisa get herself into, the new Nagisa felt powerful and even more confident due to having more control over her newfound abilities. Even if they're incapable of harming or killing mundanes, at least she will prove that she won't go down easily.

Let them come and face her wrath. She'll be ready for them this time...

"What do you mean by 'robots'?" Nagisa asked as she focused on Youka's second piece of information. "Do they perform the duties of city guards and sheriffs in this time period?"
So injuries still have an effect even if they are not as damaging as they once were. Good to know

Do you have any tips on defending ourselves if more monster show up without all the back up we had here?

Also who was the witch that led the monsters here? 

Youka grins.
"Robots are like people, but they're made of metal. They're a lot stronger usually, but they can't eat or recharge themselves without outside intervention. But, err, no. People don't like being ruled by iron soldiers."
"Without magic, it's surprising how far mortal kingdoms have come."

"Well, if you want to be sure you can deal with other beasts, I can train you somewhere far away from here," WHway answers with regard to Ryo's question. "A camping trip!" Youka shouts.
"But I doubt your own beast won't come to your aid. More powerful beasts could still be a threat.

But I can track those. They leave quite a signature moving around. There are three legendary beasts in this city you should be aware of, and avoid at all costs. The more powerful ones get a bit incorporeal... so they can basically show up wherever they want. It's best not to get their attention."

Checking the surroundings, Hway motions for everyone to move closer to the school building, so as to not be seen.
"The first is one I've witnessed in many countries. I call it Vigil, because it shows up at night, after funerals. Unlike most beasts, this one openly shows itself to people, and tries to scare people away from the cemetery so it can dig up bodies. I don't know what it does with them, I'm not a big enough fool to mess with a legendary beast."

"The second is more dangerous, and much less predictable. Youka calls it Blazar." Youka blushes.
"Unlike Vigil, it doesn't reveal itself to people, but at the same time it is one of the few monsters I have ever encountered that kills mortals. In this city, most buildings have pipes that feed them with a kind of gas that they burn for heat. This beast causes that gas to leak and explode. For a beast to perform that kind of act, one whose effects reach the whole city, it has to be powerful. Insanely so. Those horrific injuries the news reports? All of those killings happen under the cover of a huge explosion."

"The third is more well-known as the Old Lady. A lot of souls over the years have talked about meeting an old woman when they were first reborn. Typically, it happens to those reborn as infants or toddlers, and in every account I've heard she offered them a potion, which they've rejected with no exceptions I am aware of.
I'm not so sure whether you should be worried about this one. But as a presence, I can feel a great source of strength now and then, coming from the hospital. I have my suspicions.

But so long as you stay away from disaster zones, hospitals, and graveyards, you should be safe from anything I can't handle. And since I'm asking you to put yourselves in danger, you can rest assured that I'll stay in contact. Oh, and there's probably something else you should know about me... any other questions?"

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29