Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48210 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2018, 12:47:46 am »

"Yeah, a staff. Did you make that yourself?" Mitsuru motions at the dragon.

"Lets get going."

"No no no no..." she points her stick at Lilith.
"That's Lilith! She found me, not the other way around." She walks in the other direction. You look back and see that she mounted the skeletal dragon.

"Which way?" Miya asks.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2018, 08:13:26 am »

Makiko helps Nagisa find a vantage point to the south from which to begin our search, then sits and attempts to summon something out of childhood tales of the forest: a Forest Sprite! If successful, she will send the Sprite to find the magic ball. and report back.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

"That's a familiar story. Where are you from?" Mitsuru asks.

"Lets go this way," Mitsuru chooses a reasonable direction to start exploring.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:04 pm »

Gai put his ineffective rod aside. While the look and development of the equipment was new, fishing hadn't changed very much since the III millennium. Neither had his skill in it. He got up and looked around, seeing most of the others getting into pairs, then turned to Ryo.

"I suppose we're searching together then. I'm Gai."

"Good to meet you I am Ryo. Now shall we start with the north?"

Ryo grabs a stick from the ground and leads the way north. Looking for any clearings or scent of smoke marking where the orb may of landed

My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 18, 2018, 02:04:49 am »

Makiko helps Nagisa find a vantage point to the south from which to begin our search, then sits and attempts to summon something out of childhood tales of the forest: a Forest Sprite! If successful, she will send the Sprite to find the magic ball. and report back.
"Certainly, Makiko-san," Nagisa said with a smile as she took both of their orbs from Hway and handed one to Makiko. "We can track down the one that flew off to the south. I'd thought of a wonderful implement to view it but we would need to find a hill to see the orb clearly first."

Together with Makiko, Nagisa will locate a hill. Once she finds it, she will focus on summoning a telescope-like invention and search for the orb or whatever traces it leaves.

This quaint little lakeside refuge is a low vantage point, but Mt. Fuji is rather far away, even though a mountaintop would be an great place for observation, assuming high-quality lenses able to observe the stars. The answer is a healthy compromise.
Crossing the road to the hilltop, the two of you end up traversing the pine forest, stepping on a couple of owl pellets along the way, jouncing a look at the tiny bones inside. Fluffy diurnal creatures stalk from the shadows, while the curious, ever-present crow spies at his roost.

You come across a tree stump that looks like the tree was cleanly sliced through. Whatever caused such a thing had to have been a beast of immense power. That being said, it makes a comfortable seat as Makiko sits down to concentrate.
When she opens her eyes, she feels a miniscule hand pulling the hem of her jacket. The sprite leaps up onto her shoulder and folds its purple butterfly wings, the watches it wears across its chest jingling. Makiko jumps when she sees that the fairy also has a tiny snake wrapped around her miniature waist.
The tiny green-skinned person kneels down to look at Makiko's hand, her matted jumble of hair drooping forward. The sprite eyes the glowing orb, puts on an impish grin, and takes off into the forest, leaving behind a silver watch.

Nagisa, meanwhile, finds a clearing where many trees have been felled by the same sort of creature which bisected the other tree. It provides her with a vantage point over the lake, from which she is able to observe a couple points of interest. The sprite could be seen making a beeline for the Shinto shrine next to the lake; at the same time, Nagisa spots a clearing in the woods, just a couple of trees across but quite noticeable as a gap in the otherwise dense pine forest. There's no sort of fallout visible from the magic orbs' impact, even though they seemed to have quite the effect.

Gai put his ineffective rod aside. While the look and development of the equipment was new, fishing hadn't changed very much since the III millennium. Neither had his skill in it. He got up and looked around, seeing most of the others getting into pairs, then turned to Ryo.

"I suppose we're searching together then. I'm Gai."
"Good to meet you I am Ryo. Now shall we start with the north?"

Ryo grabs a stick from the ground and leads the way north. Looking for any clearings or scent of smoke marking where the orb may of landed

The two of you make your way up the hill, having crossed the road (perhaps illegally), on the lookout for the signs of devastation those orbs were sure to have caused.

Instead, everything seems dreadfully quiet. Even your own footsteps barely register. It's as if you are under some sort of magic spell--the prosaic solitude of the wilderness.
Ryo, keeping an eye out for clearings, finds an arrow embedded in a tree, unmarked. It seems to have been fired in the direction the two of you were moving.

Gai feels the heat of flame from not too far away. It's about [12] units away to the west, hidden by brush.

"That's a familiar story. Where are you from?" Mitsuru asks.

"Lets go this way," Mitsuru chooses a reasonable direction to start exploring.

You head along the road to the east. Lilith crawls across the ground, rather than flying as one (wouldn't) expect from a skeleton. Even when cars pass by, nobody seems to notice the beast, even though Miya is riding it.
The road offers better visibility than the forest; you should be able to see any smoke trail or other sign. Surely there must be one? That Hway girl can't be expecting you two to scour every inch of the forest floor...

"Over here!" says Miya, dismounting. "Lilith smells something!"
So the beasts seem to be the key. You wonder...

Miya stumbles into the forest, her dragon struggling to maneuver around the trees. You make it a fair distance away, such that the bend of the hill obscures the road.
Suddenly, Miya goes flying.

She crashes into a tree. Its boughs snap, dropping the young girl to the ground covered in sticks and weeds.
You keep your eyes fixed on the cause: A black shadow, barely tangible, oddly proportioned for a creature capable of such speed. You recognize it. But it doesn't seem to be the only guest.

The pine trees rustle. Or rather, they give the appearance of doing so. Lilith roars, and soon the creature gives up its cloak of mystery: A rainbow-colored moth, the size of a car, having the stinger of a scorpion, prepares to attack. It strikes at the beast of shadows, and its stinger lands true.

Spoiler: It's a map! (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 18, 2018, 01:36:56 pm »

Makiko takes the silver watch and examines it, then heads over to meet up with Nagisa before following the Sprite.
"I think we found it! I called up a Sprite, Nagisa! I think i might be gettign the hang of this. How about you? What is that?"

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2018, 11:29:39 pm »

Lowering the telescope, Nagisa turned to smile at Makiko. "It's a telescope," she answered as she handed the instrument to Makiko to peer through. She then pointed at the paga-...non-Christian shrine the 'sprite made a beeline to. Perhaps they should go investigate there first. "It allows you to see objects in the distance as like they were actually closer. Hmmm, I wonder if telescopes have been invented in this era that can even take a closer look at stars and planets..."

Leaving Makiko to her device, Nagisa glanced down at one of the nearby stumps, running her fingers along the smooth surface. What manner of demon can slice through a tree like an executioner's axe through butter? Perhaps the culprit were still around.

"Come Makiko-san," Nagisa finally said as she peered through the intact trees, half expecting a great demon to come tearing its way through the branches at them. "Let's go find that orb. I'd hate to stand around here on the off chance that our unholy woodsman returns. Hway may say that we're safe here but I'd thought the same thing before those crooks shot me."

Taking the telescope from Makiko, Nagisa will unsummon it before summoning the Celestial Annihilator. Using Perception to make sure that no dangers were lurking nearby, she and Makiko will journey to the Shinto shrine.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 20, 2018, 01:37:39 am »

"There are flames nearby, likely from other travelers. Plus, we recently saw that arrow. My gut tells me they're brigands, but I'm not sure those are very common in this time. I believe we should investigate, just to be safe."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:30 am »

"There are flames nearby, likely from other travelers. Plus, we recently saw that arrow. My gut tells me they're brigands, but I'm not sure those are very common in this time. I believe we should investigate, just to be safe."

"Brigands? Really... People don't turn to a dangerous short life for no reason and in this age of plenty for all its hard to imagine someone willing to give it all up just to attack people. I mean there is no starvation, no wars, and no big taxes hard to imagine what would drive a peasant to banditry now."

Tighten my backpacks straps

"Still you have a point about being safe lets try to avoid being seen while observing them"

Follow Gai and try to stay quiet think back to old memories of hunting and try not to step on dry twigs.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 22, 2018, 12:33:10 pm »

"I don't think your buddy has the facilities to smell anything."

The sudden appearance of the shadow prompts Mitsuru, "Sister?"

At the sudden appearance of the moth, Mitsuru shoulders her weapon and fires. If there is no immediate and impressive effect she'll go to the shadow realm (her power) and then try to use her phantasm to retrieve a larger weapon.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2018, 06:11:19 pm »

"I know it's not likely, but in my time even times of peace had bandits infesting Roman roads. Old habits die hard."

Sneak over to the bushes hiding the flames and look towards them.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2018, 02:30:28 am »

Makiko takes the silver watch and examines it, then heads over to meet up with Nagisa before following the Sprite.
"I think we found it! I called up a Sprite, Nagisa! I think i might be gettign the hang of this. How about you? What is that?"

Lowering the telescope, Nagisa turned to smile at Makiko. "It's a telescope," she answered as she handed the instrument to Makiko to peer through. She then pointed at the paga-...non-Christian shrine the 'sprite made a beeline to. Perhaps they should go investigate there first. "It allows you to see objects in the distance as like they were actually closer. Hmmm, I wonder if telescopes have been invented in this era that can even take a closer look at stars and planets..."

Leaving Makiko to her device, Nagisa glanced down at one of the nearby stumps, running her fingers along the smooth surface. What manner of demon can slice through a tree like an executioner's axe through butter? Perhaps the culprit were still around.

"Come Makiko-san," Nagisa finally said as she peered through the intact trees, half expecting a great demon to come tearing its way through the branches at them. "Let's go find that orb. I'd hate to stand around here on the off chance that our unholy woodsman returns. Hway may say that we're safe here but I'd thought the same thing before those crooks shot me."

Taking the telescope from Makiko, Nagisa will unsummon it before summoning the Celestial Annihilator. Using Perception to make sure that no dangers were lurking nearby, she and Makiko will journey to the Shinto shrine.

Nagisa attempts to bring up a familiar weapon. Unusual as it was, it seems like it would be the easiest to use.
The two of you hike down the hillside toward the shrine, until they come across a small rocky pool with a small single-room cottage nearby. The shrine is visible, with paper charms hung between trees to act as a barrier, but it's still a few minutes' walk away.

Makiko's sprite hangs out by the water. She gives Nagisa a sly grin, noticing her weapon, and then dives into the water. A glowing orb pops out, floating on the surface of the water. Unlike the miniature that Hway gave you, this one boils off the water around it into steam. Carrying it may be difficult.
The sprite hovers over it and does a loop in the air. "I'll let you borrow it," she says with happy moue and a finger on her chin.

"I know it's not likely, but in my time even times of peace had bandits infesting Roman roads. Old habits die hard."

Sneak over to the bushes hiding the flames and look towards them.

You seek the flames but you realize that the flames were seeking you.

It is the hydra! Four heads this time, feathers ablaze, it stares you down from a handful of meters away.

As you take a stance and watch its movements, it stands its heads up like a rabbit raising its ears. It doesn't seem to be making a motion to breath any sort of flames...

"Brigands? Really... People don't turn to a dangerous short life for no reason and in this age of plenty for all its hard to imagine someone willing to give it all up just to attack people. I mean there is no starvation, no wars, and no big taxes hard to imagine what would drive a peasant to banditry now."

Tighten my backpacks straps

"Still you have a point about being safe lets try to avoid being seen while observing them"

Follow Gai and try to stay quiet think back to old memories of hunting and try not to step on dry twigs.

You notice that Gai freezes up ahead. Up in front of him is a four-headed dragon, with all of its scales--no, feathers--on fire.
It doesn't seem that you'd be visible to it right now. If you made a break for it, it may think Gai was alone.

That being said, you hear the bushes rustling behind you, as if something stalking you had the impression you noticed them. Not ture, you were clueless up to this point, but it seems that the two of you are stuck between a dragon and an unknown foe.

"I don't think your buddy has the facilities to smell anything."

The sudden appearance of the shadow prompts Mitsuru, "Sister?"

At the sudden appearance of the moth, Mitsuru shoulders her weapon and fires. If there is no immediate and impressive effect she'll go to the shadow realm (her power) and then try to use her phantasm to retrieve a larger weapon.

You shoulder your weapon and fire. [7 => 2] (5 => 3) [2Wt => 2 vs 5Wt => 2✔️]
A bullet impacts a tree next to your head, showing you with splinters. Your teenage body hardly flinches. A reflection? A richochet? Is that beast's carapace as hard as steel?

Retreating into the realm of shadows, you notice a stark contrast between the bleak, featureless void from before, and the new landscape that presents itself before your eyes. Every shadow appears as a limpid blotch wrapping over the ground. They emanate not from location of the sun, but from several points in the sky, and they overlap to form a complex maze of colors, infinite shades of white.
The beast of shadows appears amidst the shadows without casting its own. Likewise, you notice that you yourself cast no shadow in this world, nor your gun or anything you drop to your feet.

The moth's shadow is clear as day. Despite its camouflage, its sheer size makes it easy to track amidst the slender lines traced by the pines.

((Wit dodges are in favor of the defender))
((Note that the enemy can only Wit dodge one attack per turn))

While inside the shadow realm, you see 'Lilith's shadow stand and place itself between Miya and the target. It makes a roaring motion, though you cannot hear things from within this realm, and the diffuse shadow of a faint cloud appears off of its jaws. {6 => 1} (10Pc => 5 ❌)
The moth's shadow makes a jerking motion, but doesn't appear to be hit. Its shadow has expanded and become more diffuse. Wonder what that means.

Meanwhile, the beast of shadows approaches you with a vivid beat to its steps.

Spoiler: It's a map! (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2018, 10:37:35 pm »

Nagisa wrinkled a brow at the strange 'spirit' in slight annoyance. "The orb is not yours to loan out, creature."

Her eyes flicking to the orb, Nagisa watched as the steam rose from its surface. Shining like a miniature sun, it would have to be carried in a way that the heat don't burn anything or anyone.

Rubbing her chin for a second, Nagisa suddenly had an idea. Closing her eyes, Nagisa:

Pictured a large pair of steel tongs. The grips are coated with a thick layer of rubber and a leather sheath to help disperse any heat conduction. After summoning the tool, Nagisa will retrieve the orb.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:39:46 am by Sir Elventide »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 25, 2018, 07:11:22 am »

"Oh, thank you, you found it! Wonderful! would you be a dear and place it on the shore? Tell me, did you notice any other spirit beings nearby as you journeyed?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 26, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »

Why am I so scared? The sight of the shadow beast causes Mitsuru's hairs to stand on end. Since her first encounter with the beast of shadows in this time, Mitsuru had longed to see it again but there is something deeply unsettling about the creature to Mitsuru. Get control of yourself.

"A-are you going to help me like the o-others?" Mitsuru calls out timidly.

Recover a stronger weapon from her phantasm, leaving the shadow space if necessary to do so, and use it against the moth.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29