Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48701 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2017, 06:56:20 am »

Be invisible! (not literally). Look inconspicuous. Look super bored. Look for my bus pass or 'exact change.' Get on the bus, go home. Meet the folks.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2017, 01:02:30 pm »

The wonders of the city intrigued Nagisa. The stone towers of a thousand torches, the ever changing signs and colorful lights, and the self propelled machines, some big enough to hold lots of people, are just a few things that stroked her interest. If she wasn't hunted by dangerous people or 'demons', she would be exploring every inch of this strange town or whatever it was called.

Turning to find herself staring into the eyes of a woman, Nagisa gave her a shrug and a small smile before continuing her musings. As long as she didn't draw unnecessary attention to herself and Makiko, she has nothing to worry about. However, it still was getting late so she decided to:

Remain inconspicuous and follow Makiko's lead, not exactly of course.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:10:14 pm by Sir Elventide »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2017, 07:08:09 pm »

Stroll down the way with the "authorized personnel only" door and look at the lock, also take a look at a fire map to learn the size and shape of the room, as well as nearby exits.

No keys? Mitsuru frowns. Perhaps the janitor has some..

If she can locate the key that these authorized personnel use or a master janitor key she might be able to try something. Time for some sleight of hand.Mitsuru takes some item of hers in hand that has no means of being identified as hers, pokes the key bearing staff member in the back, as to focus their attention, snatches the keys and then with a smile and nice voice,

"Hey, I think someone left this."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:52:51 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »

Gold teeth? Now that's just tacky. And impracticl, it'd be so heavy. And expensive. Whomever this man is, no-one else seems to think him an ally.

Enter a familiar battle-position, and stay quiet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:07:26 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2017, 02:39:32 am »

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

Gold teeth? Now that's just tacky. And impracticl, it'd be so heavy. And expensive. Whomever this man is, no-one else seems to think him an ally.

Enter a familiar battle=position, and stay quiet.

"Are you guys okay? Take it easy--panicking is the worst way to go."
He assumes a traditional karate stance. "I mean, if this is how it's gonna be..."

His weary eyes contract into tiny dark swirls. "But I heard everything, you know..."

A net of ivy rises up out of the ground. They grasp at your feet, and soon you find that there's nowhere to step. Not without tripping, or falling further into the trap...

Chen, still clothed in dazzling blue robes, tosses some glass canisters at his feet. The plants freeze... but they rot away in an instant and new ones take their place, roots digging into the original. Soon he is trapped too.

Makoto grins. "This all you got?"
He dons a light-green army coat, and zombies crawl up out of the dense flora, wielding strange missile weapons that punch the old man full of holes. The man gets back up, bleeding from many gangrenous holes in his body, and merely shrugs.
The zombies' flesh rots off and they are reduced to skeletons. Their rifles drop into the web of ivy, gripped by disembodied skeletal hands, and small sprouts begin to propagate through the grain of the wooden stocks.

Memoto, whose new midnight cloak makes her almost invisible if not for the nightshade blossoms embedded in its fabric, dashes into the air with frightening agility. "Two can play at this game!" she shouts while in the air, gracefully landing behind the elderly attacker. She hurls a volley of thorny bulbs, which stick themselves into the old man's skin and inject a deadly venom, causing the skin to swell with many blisters.
But those blisters burst instantaneously, and the old man finds himself unimpeded by the damage to his exterior layers. You can feel the glee in his expression--and the sordid realization in hers.

Tagashi breaks through the layer of ivy atop a column of marble layers, unfolding like the very earth flowering beneath his feet. But the rock crumbles, infested with roots, and he only barely manages to hang on to the bottom rung of the next floor's guardrail.

You... Seeing your would-be friends like this, unable to do anything about it yourself... something's burning inside of you. A feeling of deja-vu, perhaps? Or maybe...

Just maybe...

A hand, reaching out of the burning rubble. It's offering you a chance--a second chance.

Ozarck (Di/Makiko) (4Df 3Pw 7Pc 2Wt)

Be invisible! (not literally). Look inconspicuous. Look super bored. Look for my bus pass or 'exact change.' Get on the bus, go home. Meet the folks.

You stand in the crowd. Not inconspicuously, given your rather different attire from these other schoolchildren, but your act only goes so far. You can cover up your outward expressions, but not what is inside of you.

You can tell. Something sees through your act. And it's staring right at you.

The road the charter bus took--there wasn't a bush next to it, was there? An out-of-place growth of bamboo grows there. It would have been trimmed a long time ago.

You don't remember being this attentive, but perhaps centuries of solitude made you more... open to your senses.
(see below)

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

The wonders of the city intrigued Nagisa. The stone towers of a thousand torches, the ever changing signs and colorful lights, and the self propelled machines, some big enough to hold lots of people, are just a few things that stroked her interest. If she wasn't hunted by dangerous people or 'demons', she would be exploring every inch of this strange town or whatever it was called.

Turning to find herself staring into the eyes of a woman, Nagisa gave her a shrug and a small smile before continuing her musings. As long as she didn't draw unnecessary attention to herself and Makiko, she has nothing to worry about. However, it still was getting late so she decided to:

Remain inconspicuous and follow Makiko's lead, not exactly of course.

You notice Makiko fixated on something off in the distance. You thought she was focused on the bus from before, but then you notice it yourself. A small, meter-wide growth of grassy trees that clearly wasn't there before last time you looked.

It jumps out and dashes straight toward you, leaping a great distance in almost no time at all. Is it a horse? Its ribs are exposed, and made of wood. Its hide is... leaves.
It isn't as fast as its initial stride was, trotting along at about the speed of a running human, dodging the street curb, light fixtures, fire hydrants, and other vehicles parked along both sides of a street parallel to the transit center's main bus line. You might be able to outpace it in on uneven terrain, but if it ever leaps like that again...

Your mind considers the options. Youka already left on a different bus--there's no relying on her for this. There are people all around you. There are two buses loading passengers and waiting for people, but it doesn't look like they'll be going any time soon. People are still lined up and swiping their tablets at a device near the driver's seat.

There is an alleyway within a dozen meter's reach. You probably don't want to run down the street, as it will clearly outpace you on open ground.

There's also a building on the other side of the transit center, on the same side of the road as the charging beast. If you could get in, you could perhaps barricade the doors, but the creature may beat you there along the sidewalk.

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

Stroll down the way with the "authorized personnel only" door and look at the lock, also take a look at a fire map to learn the size and shape of the room, as well as nearby exits.

No keys? Mitsuru frowns. Perhaps the janitor has some..

If she can locate the key that these authorized personnel use or a master janitor key she might be able to try something. Time for some sleight of hand.Mitsuru takes some item of hers in hand that has no means of being identified as hers, pokes the key bearing staff member in the back, as to focus their attention, snatches the keys and then with a smile and nice voice,

"Hey, I think someone left this."

You reach toward his pocket during that opportune moment of your doing.

"WOOF!" a dog barks at you behind. A terrifying dog... you don't have to look behind you for your whole body to shudder, causing you to fall forward. Actually, you can work this to your advantage...

One brief adventure later, your umbrella and the contents of your backpack find themselves strewn all over the floor, mixed in with soapy water and a slurry of decomposing blossoms.
The dog, a Great Pyrenees of imposing stature, sits on your back, panting happily and barking with a blissful, placid look on its face. The janitor is right in front of you, having slipped first and landed back first. He seems unparalyzed, but once the brief moment of confusion wears off there is no telling whom he will blame.

On the bright side...

Spoiler: Notes/Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Ryo) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

(Sorry for skip :(. Trying to get a post in before bed.)

Spoiler: Items and Status (click to show/hide)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:07 am »

"I think this one is mine, Nagisa. Youka said they don't like to make scenes in front of people!"

Makiko, torn between desire toprotect her friend, to stay within the supposed safety of the crowd, and to flee, fiunally breaks and runs toward the alley, looking for obstacles, and maybe a ladder to climb. All defense die shld go toward plantbased physical attacks from the spirit world. (i.e. she expects the monster to attack in a physical way, using some kind of plant extension of it's 'body.' But she expects it to be a spiritual creature.)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »

No no NO! Not again! Am I to watch, powerless, as my comrades fall to a tyrant once again?

...No. I will not idly by again. Heaven can wait. It already did for MDC years, why not L more?

He grabbed the hand and felt a fire start inside him. He felt the flames of his will and passion envelop him, and a literal one as well. He felt no pain in it though, but was fueled by it. He was filled with a righteous fury, the will to save his comrades and put his inner demons to rest.

The flames covered him up fully, then burst away, turning any nearby ivy to cinders. His clothes were replaced with his old praetorian armor, and hair back to his blazing red, on his new, younger body. Cape flapping behind him, he pulled out his gladius, pristine as the day it was forged and now burning a hot as his spirit, and pointed it at the fiend.

"I don't know who you are, and don't pretend to care, either. All I know is that I won't let you harm my new-found comrades! I won't let them down like last time."

"You face the Ember of Rome, the last keeper of Roman culture and tradition! Now fall... by the hand of the LAST SON OF ROME!"

Send flames to burn away the ivy tangling my comrades, without harming them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:29:12 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »

"Mama del Cristo, wait!" Nagisa yelled as Makiko ran down the alley to escape the plant 'demon'. Why can't she understand that they were safer in the crowds and with each other than apart? Running after Makiko, Nagisa was keenly aware that the monster was onto them now. Suddenly, a question surfaced in her head: if the gear 'demon' was the only one who showed up earlier and Youka was surprised at to why that was so, what of this plant 'demon'? Could it be that it actually stalked them all the way to the bus stop and waited until Youka have left before striking? If that was true then it was smarter than she'd expected such a 'demon' to be. As a result, she must be smarter as well.

Continue to chase Makiko while pushing obstacles into the 'demon's' path. Use 5 Wits to predict when it will leap and where to so that she can use all of her Power to knock it out of the air with the Wooden Rod. Dedicate 2 Defense to protect against plant based magical attacks and the rest against physical attacks. Dedicate all of Presence to evading whatever attacks she failed to block.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:10:26 pm by Sir Elventide »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2017, 01:19:26 am »

Dedicate all of Presence to evading whatever attacks she failed to block.

[5 => 3 - (5 => 3) = 0]

The creature's movements are too fickle and random to make any real predictions. One thing is sure, however. If it attacks Makiko heading into the alley, there will be no way to dodge to the side as it's far too big. The only way to dodge would be...

...up?

(The remaining 1 wit will go toward masking your actions.)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2017, 08:56:00 am »

Grapel with the thing and try to force it to the ground while it is unbalanced leaning over start beating it while it is on the ground.

(sorry about not posting I lost internet for a bit)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2017, 10:12:04 am »

[5 => 3 - (5 => 3) = 0]

Let me see if I can get this calculation right: the first 5 is the Perception that I dedicated to predicting the plant 'demon's' movements, followed by the amount of successes I received for that while the second 5 is the stat that the monster is dedicating/completely spending on its movements being masked/unknown to Nagisa and the amount of successes that it received for that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:22 am »

[5 => 3 - (5 => 3) = 0]

Let me see if I can get this calculation right: the first 5 is the Perception that I dedicated to predicting the plant 'demon's' movements, followed by the amount of successes I received for that while the second 5 is the stat that the monster is dedicating/completely spending on its movements being masked/unknown to Nagisa and the amount of successes that it received for that.
(Yep! Normally I hide the wit rolls but as a tutorial I'm making them visible this time)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2017, 11:39:28 pm »

"Oh! Look what you've done!" Mitsuru steams as she deftly assemblers her stuff. "It's ruined..." She murmurers holding a collection of her stuff.

Look at a fire map, perhaps she can use it to determine if she would be able to walk into the security room undetected, is it big? Small? How many people is big enough for? Though if this takes any longer she might miss out on the chance to investigate what she saw.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:46 am »

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

No no NO! Not again! Am I to watch, powerless, as my comrades fall to a tyrant once again?

...No. I will not idly by again. Heaven can wait. It already did for MDC years, why not L more?

He grabbed the hand and felt a fire start inside him. He felt the flames of his will and passion envelop him, and a literal one as well. He felt no pain in it though, but was fueled by it. He was filled with a righteous fury, the will to save his comrades and put his inner demons to rest.

The flames covered him up fully, then burst away, turning any nearby ivy to cinders. His clothes were replaced with his old praetorian armor, and hair back to his blazing red, on his new, younger body. Cape flapping behind him, he pulled out his gladius, pristine as the day it was forged and now burning a hot as his spirit, and pointed it at the fiend.

"I don't know who you are, and don't pretend to care, either. All I know is that I won't let you harm my new-found comrades! I won't let them down like last time."

"You face the Ember of Rome, the last keeper of Roman culture and tradition! Now fall... by the hand of the LAST SON OF ROME!"

Send flames to burn away the ivy tangling my comrades, without harming them.

Your blade glows white-hot, but in your hands it feels cold to the touch.

You swing it outward, and it sends forth a wave of searing fire. [6 => 3] The web of ivy burns into a crisp but your friends are unharmed, somehow, saved by the purifying flames of redemption. Makoto and Chen are freed, and Tagashi lets go of the railing. He lands gracefully upon a bed of dead vines.

"My my..." the old man retorts. He takes one step back.
"It appears my trump card has its limits," he declares, reaching for his pocket. He pulls out a shining cylinder with a handle... and points it at his head. It's like a small crowssbow, but without a bow.

"Sayonara!"

"I think this one is mine, Nagisa. Youka said they don't like to make scenes in front of people!"

Makiko, torn between desire toprotect her friend, to stay within the supposed safety of the crowd, and to flee, fiunally breaks and runs toward the alley, looking for obstacles, and maybe a ladder to climb. All defense die shld go toward plantbased physical attacks from the spirit world. (i.e. she expects the monster to attack in a physical way, using some kind of plant extension of it's 'body.' But she expects it to be a spiritual creature.)

You somehow expect it to propel spikes from its body somehow, like in some kind of animated picture you'd watch on your phone. Like you've seen it before.

The ground suddenly erupts beside you. You... dodged it? It didn't feel like you did anything special there. Or did the creature simply miss? (5 => 2 - [4 +> 2]) (+1 for correct guess)

You slip into the alleyway and discover a zigzag maze within, made up of countless smaller buildings built into each other. Haphazardly-placed balconies, built long ago over scenic views, now rot as places used to store furniture and large objects. Trash cans, boxes and disassembled crates are stacked up against the walls, and lonely unmarked doors offer little in the way of direction.
You spot a ladder to your left and a stairway into a nearby house to your right. You might be able to jump from the top of the stairs to a nearby roof.

Nagisa follows a fair distance behind you as the creature enters the alleyway. You slow down as you see that the creature caught up to her--and it's slowing down, threatening her with the same attack it used on you. The ladder would take you to the opposite side that Nagisa is on, while the stairway + jump would put you right above her.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

"Mama del Cristo, wait!" Nagisa yelled as Makiko ran down the alley to escape the plant 'demon'. Why can't she understand that they were safer in the crowds and with each other than apart? Running after Makiko, Nagisa was keenly aware that the monster was onto them now. Suddenly, a question surfaced in her head: if the gear 'demon' was the only one who showed up earlier and Youka was surprised at to why that was so, what of this plant 'demon'? Could it be that it actually stalked them all the way to the bus stop and waited until Youka have left before striking? If that was true then it was smarter than she'd expected such a 'demon' to be. As a result, she must be smarter as well.

Continue to chase Makiko while pushing obstacles into the 'demon's' path. Use 5 Wits to predict when it will leap and where to so that she can use all of her Power to knock it out of the air with the Wooden Rod. Dedicate 2 Defense to protect against plant based magical attacks and the rest against physical attacks. Dedicate all of Presence to evading whatever attacks she failed to block.

The crowd at the bus stop didn't seem to notice. Looks like that part of Youka's explanation was right.

Makiko is quite fast. You can hardly keep up with her--by now she's almost disappeared around a corner by the time you reach the entrance to the alley. A pair of branches fly overhead in an extended motion... they stab into the asphalt nest to Makiko, missing her and throwing up chunks of the ground. One of those chunks hits your face, and you feel something cool running down your cheek.
You realize that those spikes could have gone right through you... so it must be targeting Makiko! The spikes retract--

--and then you realize just how close the pounding footsteps have gotten. Its presence is like the rustling of wind--a titanic presence, yet light as air. You have a feeling there isn't much of a power mismatch...

You take your rod and swing it full force at the beast behind you. Its own speed works against itself and you smack it in whatever you can discern as a face with a quick glance. [3+1 => 1 - (5 => 4) = -3] (added 1 because it's Pc is 5--it ran 1 faster than you)
The beast swats you to the side with its wooden claws and slams you against the building to its left. (3 => 1 - [1 => 0]. 1 counter damage taken). Your head crashes through a window, leaving you showered in glass shards. The attack redirected your momentum into the wall: (4 => 2 damage taken) You notice red pits in your shirt where the claws hit, but you leap back up to your feet to confront the threat. The monster itself is skidding to a halt next to you. The roots on its back, having retracted into its hide, re-emerge and point menacingly toward your arms and legs. You'd guess it's not trying to kill you... but if those roots can pierce stone, then they might end up pinning you, regardless of how well you took a bullet earlier.

Though battered, you're rather lucidly aware of your surroundings. The window behind you is one possible escape route... above you there's a white torch encased in a long glass tube, hanging on a bracket from the wall, and beside you are buckets and trash cans to either side.
There's a broom (+1 reach--you can attack from 1 distance away), and further above you is a machine hanging from the wall, humming gently and expelling cool air.

(A note on the attributes in your Status section below--Fatigue won't affect your rolls, it's just a number so far. It represents your total damage taken.
Advantage is the one you'll want to pay attention to.)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

"Oh! Look what you've done!" Mitsuru steams as she deftly assemblers her stuff. "It's ruined..." She murmurers holding a collection of her stuff.

Look at a fire map, perhaps she can use it to determine if she would be able to walk into the security room undetected, is it big? Small? How many people is big enough for? Though if this takes any longer she might miss out on the chance to investigate what she saw.

"...Uh huh. Sorry young lady," the janitor apologizes. He seems to be under the impression this is his fault somehow.
You abandon the umbrella--a fair trade, perhaps.

Approaching the far side of the building, you locate a fire exit map. They are meant to be easily spotted, after all. Neither the dog owner nor the janitor accost you further, and overall the whole experience left you with an overwhelming sense of isolation. It's as if nobody wants to be involved with each other.

The fire map doesn't show the layout for restricted areas. There goes that plan.
The door swings wide open--it's the same man who walked in earlier. Except that this time, he's carrying a lunchbox and heading out without paying attention to you.

Is he going out on lunch break? Whatever, it's a chance. You slyly put your foot in front of the door to halt its return.

Spoiler: Notes/Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Ryo) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

Grapel with the thing and try to force it to the ground while it is unbalanced leaning over start beating it while it is on the ground.

(sorry about not posting I lost internet for a bit)

Your attacker rushes to the side. You take advantage of the fact and tackle him as he starts moving. [2 => 2 - (2 +> 1) = 1]

The two of you crash into the ground. Your opponent's back makes a sickening noise as an approaching chair wedges itself in from behind. (1 damage dealt) You then try and swing at his face, but he casually twitches his body back and forth. He is clearly a monster--a normal man would have been paralyzed.

Your attacker tries to buck you off of him, (3 => 0 - [5 => 5]) but you maintain your grip.
In fact, his struggling actually helped you get a better grip, allowing you to counterattack with successive hits that he can't dodge. [5 => 3 counter damage dealt]

You're close to the glass coffee table with metal legs. Both sword and metal club lie within arm's reach.

(You can attempt a finisher. You'd roll dice equal to the difference in damage taken--if you get more successes than your opponent's 3 Defense, you end the battle. If not, you lose your advantage and the Fatigue counter goes up to [4])

Spoiler: Items and Status (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2017, 02:19:08 am »

Oh, shoot. Nagisa ..."

ry to imbue my dagger with fire magic, climb hte ladder to above Nagisa, and leap onto the creature, stabbing at it. Again, all defense toward those vine projectile type thingies
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 29