Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48672 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:09 am »

"I do," I remember the very moment of my death. I collapsed after receiving multiple gunshot wounds from a distant machinegunner and died after feeling my heart fail. She also remembers falling face first onto her Thompson machine gun when she got hit, those rear sights hurt.

Mitsuru looks down at her hands. They're a bit pale, she leans against a wall and tries some deep breaths. She remembers the shock-induced blindness, it was that darkness that would haunt him into the afterlife, the same silent darkness that he experienced buried under his families corpses. Terrifying yet intriguing. That beast of darkness, he must be the key to my power.

Come hither and bring me the weapons of my ancient world war, the veritable tools of political change.

Seeking the beast that haunted you for decades... it's a rather ironic twist to this new reality of being a high school girl.

A blue sun sets over the hills just up ahead, though the hills themselves can scarcely be seen. A grey mist envelops you, a mist of soot and ashes, screening these happenings from the rest of the world.
Your nose doesn't bother you this time, but the smell is all the same. A smell to which no man nor woman nor child should ever bear witness.
But this isn't panning out like you remembered it. They're missing. Everyone is missing.

You lift up your head and look around. Hway is standing next to a bunch of bodies holding an MP-40 in one hand, smoking a cigarette with the other.

"Yuck." She spits it out.

"It's a lonely place," she starts, "almost as if whatever being was driving things here... is now gone."
She fires a few more rounds into the nearest German body, dumping the magazine. An echo bounces off the hill. Your knees shudder, half expecting the sound of ricochets at your feet.
"This happens a lot, you know? The phantasms, I mean. They tend to get a lot emptier when people leave."

"This isn't going to go well, is it? Ah well, no time like the present."

Gai chases after Hway to the schoolyard and notices the ominous surroundings.

"Yup, definitely not going to end well. Typical."

Hway disappeared. And Mitsuru suddenly went unresponsive, her eyes appearing stone dead. And yet she stands up, unaware of the plants and vines suddenly sprouting up all around her. Crimson bulbs emerge from the soil, covered in warts made of dead white material. Cursed blades of grass rise up out of the ground, morphed into wicket scythes of bone-like growth, and they rear themselves in a position ready to strike and disembowel the defenseless human caught in a surprise coma.

"GET DOWN!" a familiar voice compels you to hit the dirt, diving to knock Mitsuru over as well.
A surprise fusilade of gunfire trims down the mass of putrid bulbs and stalks. Behind you, a grown student clad in light-green military uniform, wielding a long matchlock rifle, peeks out of his trench along with his squad of fifty skeletons currently reloading their six-foot muzzle-loading weapons.

"Well well..." a frail voice booms from the rooftop.
"Fancy meeting you again," it declares. The figure, standing against the backdrop of crows, pulls his hands out of his pockets.
He then unsheathes a Scottish claymore and assumes an overhead guard stance from the edge of the rooftop.

(On the other side of the school, though still close to the track)

Giving Miya a reassuring smile, Nagisa followed Youka and Makiko outside just in time to see the strange signs. Feeling tensed, Nagisa thought about what Youka just said. Perhaps it was wise to be ready for anything.

Attempt to summon the Celestial Repeater again.

Suddenly, a thought entered her head. "Hey Youka-san, what about the people who are not like us?" she begin to ask. "What exactly do they see when we're fighting these monsters or accessing our powers? Is it possible for them to get hurt as a result?"

"They don't see monsters, or any of the things we summon. They're not really meant for this world,"
Youka dons her own glowing outfit, complete with a basket slung across her back filled with fireworks.
"In situations like this, when people are jumping all over the place, it must look weird to them... but in the end, we still see the stuff on videos and recordings, so there's no way for us to tell. It looks as if the rest of the students are taking shelter from the birds up above," she points at the students waiting under the covered bleachers next to the track.

You retreat to the armory of your memories, finding yourself inside a hall filled with lockers at a building's entrance. The doorway is gated and the outside city looks pale, misty, and almost... distorted.
A familiar thundering rhythm echoes through the passageways behind you, so you make haste and begin unlocking the lockers with the key in your hands.

You wonder where the key came from.

Inside there are chains, unfamiliar parts from strange, imposing, yet portable weapons you've never seen before, knives with no handles, and long guns with unfamiliar form factors. You don't have much time before the footsteps get here, so you pick a gun with a curved box attached in front of the trigger, as well as a short barrel and a mix of metal and wood construction. It's heavy, but much shorter than a musket.

(It seems that you've a hard time pinpointing your weapons across the vastness of your memories at the start of battle. Perhaps if you keep your thoughts focused during battle, it may come to you more easily.)

Makiko Glances nervously between Miya and Youka. The sounds up ahead add to her nervousness. Well, better get this out of the way before whatever is about to happen ...

"Youka-san, Youka-san ... I summoned a centipede. It was really big and at a bit of my fish. Is that what you mean by taming my monster?"

Youka gave you an explanation earlier. In the ensuing pause, Miya chimes in. "I didn't need to tame Lilith! She came to me when I was lonely."

As a large flying creature swoops overhead, with a wingspan as wide as two grown men in height, Miya pulls a wooden twig out of her backpack and makes a motion to stab its base into the ground. Immediately, it grows to the full length of a staff, topped with a skull not unlike that of 'Lilith.' Miya's glowing green dress quickly grows to cover her whole body.

Quote from: killerhellhound

Ryo glances around the field before getting startled by the crashing noise of a metallic heap tossed at his feet. It's some sort of machine with a cylindrical body and round, spinning feet. It has a multi-jointed arm wielding some kind of brush attached to a flexible tube. The whole thing gives off a high-pitched whine which dies down soon enough, and leeches begin to crawl out of the cracks in the outer casing.

Having taken the time to look at the situation, it appears that in addition to the flying creature, there are two monsters present. One is a spine-covered wyvern with no legs, instead crawling around on its great winged arms and slashing at poisonous bulbs sprouting from the ground around it close to the center of the track. It breaths a cloud of grey dust, which causes the bulbs to liquefy into an earthen-colored sludge.

The other monster is much more difficult to observe. At first glance, it seemed to dance among the bulbs, blending in among virulent strains of hyperactive plant growth. At times it could be easily mistaken for the vines and tubes running through the ground, spreading the plague further. But then it unfurled its dazzling wings on the opposite side of the circular track, the seven colors of light shining iridescently in patterns resembling alien eyeballs
It looked somewhat like a giant moth. But its bladed stinger swung back and forth, sinking into a giant mutated tree sprouting up out of the ground and felling it with one blow.

Two students in glowing garb are 'hiding' in the mass of students at the bleachers just a couple of meters away. One of them looks on nervously, feverishly biting his nails. The other is currently poring through a glowing book, though the effects of his invocation are yet to be seen.

It seems difficult to identify a culprit in all this. But around the corner of the school, just out of sight of the bleachers, a new threat reveals itself: A noxious worm, covered in bright red warty petals, unburrows itself and spits out a cluster of vines covered in globs of adhesive--like hooks on a fishing line. Four of you, Nagisa, Makiko, Ryo, and Youka, all manage to avoid it, but Miya had a slow reaction to the vines as they sailed through the air, and found herself caught. Youka kicks the vine, only to find it anchored firmly to the ground--and Miya's prone body. Youka's shoe stayed attached.

Another worm unearths itself, this one much further from the group, and with a swollen body. They don't seem to be effective combatants in and of themselves, leading the five of you to fully expect the second threat: a massive serpent with rocky scales lurking underground. This colossal behemoth emerges from beneath the dirt and raises its head to tower over the multi-story school, its rocky scales seeming nigh impenetrable by comparison to soft plant matter. At its head, holding on to its crown of horns, stands a humanoid figure covered in pale white skin and with tiny, indistinct facial features.

The towering serpent opens its mouth, about to unleash forth a breath of noxious gas--until four orbs of light crash into its skull from the sky, killing it instantly. Its body falls in a circle, forming a wall around yourselves and the noxious worms. In addition, the humanoid falls from above and splats into a puddle, but in moments it reforms into the shape of a human girl--a barefoot girl wearing a muddy purple gown, having a dejected expression.

Spoiler: Enemy Targets (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:02:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2018, 03:46:18 am »

"Ah, salve Makoto! Thanks for the assistance. And YOU." Gaius pulled his gladius out in a swirl of flames, his uniform burning off to reveal his praetorian armor. His left hand burst into flames as he pointed with his sword at the familiar foe.

"I see you're not burned out from last time! Didn't take you very long to heat back up enough to face us. You should've shimmered for longer though, because I'll make you wish you were embers after... what on earth is your stance?" The flames abruptly ceased and his arms fell to his side.

"You look ridiculous! No shield, oddly long sword up for no reason, no formation to speak of, against a line of adversaries? I thought we were the children here."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:34 pm »

((During to random weaponry appearing every time Nagisa tries to summon something, perhaps an arsenal is necessary to keep track of them for future use.))

Spoiler: Nagisa's Arsenal (click to show/hide)

Confused, Nagisa examined the weapon. It was unlike any gun she'd ever made in her previous life, assuming that it's even a gun. She was sure it was a gun. Lately, she have had the annoying habit of summoning things at random. Sure it is true that she's just getting used to her abilities but Nagisa realized that she must learn to control it if she wished to summon the right tool for the job. Making a mental note to focus more on the details of what she intended to summon next time, Nagisa turned toward the nearest enemy, one of the noxious worms who trapped Miya underneath the vines.

Nagisa will open fire on that worm-demon, dedicating all of her Power to the attack. She will use 2 Defense to dodge plant based attacks and the remainer against physical attacks

"Hey Makiko, try summoning that creature you summoned earlier," Nagisa suggested. "It may be best if we ended this as quickly as possible, lest more demons show up."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40:03 am »

"Okay! Plants and bugs ... these seem similar to my phantasm.

Makiko closes her eyes and attempts to call forth her centipede again, or a bird to peck at the worms. She'll dodge the plantlife.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2018, 12:43:07 am »

Quickly focusing on summoning a weapon I charge at the fallen witch she seems responsible for all this

"Target the girl she seems to control them."
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »

"Oh, you're here." Mitsuru looks around. This isn't exactly out of character for her phantasm, at least the way she remembers it. Silent lulls punctuated by noisy, aggressive crescendos: the meekness and quietness of animalistic survival and spiritual peace contrasted with the bloody, gasping adrenaline affairs of human politics. A man is both animal and politician. He is his own beast of burden and the architect of his purpose. I have always sought a balance between the two.

This phantasm wasn't wholly the prospect of animals and politics, there lurked a great beast of shadow, immune to the strength and logic of man, whose ghastly presence proved impossible for Ryzard to overcome. It is a beast whose purposes cannot be extinguished nor expressed. What is it? Even now it is hard for Mitsuru to answer that question.

"It is rather empty, I miss the crows." Mitsuru says. She picks up a Karabiner 98K off the ground. She pulls the bolt open, which reveals it to be loaded. Closing the bolt, she peers down the sights a bit. Isn't my favorite weapon.

"Do you think these will work back there, where we come from?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2018, 04:44:15 am »

"Oh, you're here." Mitsuru looks around. This isn't exactly out of character for her phantasm, at least the way she remembers it. Silent lulls punctuated by noisy, aggressive crescendos: the meekness and quietness of animalistic survival and spiritual peace contrasted with the bloody, gasping adrenaline affairs of human politics. A man is both animal and politician. He is his own beast of burden and the architect of his purpose. I have always sought a balance between the two.

This phantasm wasn't wholly the prospect of animals and politics, there lurked a great beast of shadow, immune to the strength and logic of man, whose ghastly presence proved impossible for Ryzard to overcome. It is a beast whose purposes cannot be extinguished nor expressed. What is it? Even now it is hard for Mitsuru to answer that question.

"It is rather empty, I miss the crows." Mitsuru says. She picks up a Karabiner 98K off the ground. She pulls the bolt open, which reveals it to be loaded. Closing the bolt, she peers down the sights a bit. Isn't my favorite weapon.

"Do you think these will work back there, where we come from?"

Hway stands next to an ornate wooden door, lacquered a deep shade of mahogany.
"I dunno. It's been a while since I took one from mine." Those orbs must be something else, then.

She heads through the door. You don't particularly remember whether or not it was there beforehand.

The door opens unto a battlefield in the school's track field. A trench filled with skeletal musketmen form one side of the battlefield, hoisting a particular star-spangled banner up high above the ranks. Their leader looks fairly human.
In the other direction lies a forest of twisted crimson bulbs and bony, blade-like appendages sprouting from the ground. Black figures approach through this mess, slinking side-to-side among the briars, their head-sized, round bodies held aloft by spindly legs which blend in among the growths.

At your feet are several pieces of broken bone and large tufts of membrane which spread out after the bulbs were popped. By the muskets, perhaps?

Gai stands before you, dressed in praetorian armor with an obnoxious purple cape flaring in the unstable wind. A grand murder of crows migrates overhead.
His arm catches fire as he points toward an old man standing on the roof. Said old man brandishes a Scottish claymore with a period-accurate guard position.

"Ah, salve Makoto! Thanks for the assistance. And YOU." Gaius pulled his gladius out in a swirl of flames, his uniform burning off to reveal his praetorian armor. His left hand burst into flames as he pointed with his sword at the familiar foe.

"I see you're not burned out from last time! Didn't take you very long to heat back up enough to face us. You should've shimmered for longer though, because I'll make you wish you were embers after... what on earth is your stance?" The flames abruptly ceased and his arms fell to his side.

"You look ridiculous! No shield, oddly long sword up for no reason, no formation to speak of, against a line of adversaries? I thought we were the children here."

"Hmmph, if you say so." the old man answers, raising the sword and awkwardly struggling to insert it into the sheath on his back. He drops it to the ground and it makes a loud clang.

Several bone white figures walk up to his sides, four in total. Their blank, faceless heads gaze down ominously. They look well-built yet lightweight in physique.
"I'll have my 'formation' fight you if you think that's fair. Meet me up here if you still have something to say afterward."

The four figures leap down, landing from three stories up without breaking their legs like any ordinary human would after such a fall. They surround you, (2) units of distance away with one in each corner. One stands between you and Mitsuru, who seems to be awake now.

(I feel that defense allocation is more like a tax at this point... I've been coming up with a new ruleset that I'd like to introduce that hopefully keeps the "predicting your opponent's attacks" idea while making it so you don't have to micromanage your dice)

((During to random weaponry appearing every time Nagisa tries to summon something, perhaps an arsenal is necessary to keep track of them for future use.))

Confused, Nagisa examined the weapon. It was unlike any gun she'd ever made in her previous life, assuming that it's even a gun. She was sure it was a gun. Lately, she have had the annoying habit of summoning things at random. Sure it is true that she's just getting used to her abilities but Nagisa realized that she must learn to control it if she wished to summon the right tool for the job. Making a mental note to focus more on the details of what she intended to summon next time, Nagisa turned toward the nearest enemy, one of the noxious worms who trapped Miya underneath the vines.

Nagisa will open fire on that worm-demon, dedicating all of her Power to the attack. She will use 2 Defense to dodge plant based attacks and the remainer against physical attacks

"Hey Makiko, try summoning that creature you summoned earlier," Nagisa suggested. "It may be best if we ended this as quickly as possible, lest more demons show up."

You ready yourself for another attack from the creatures around you. Given what you've seen so far, perhaps they will extend roots as a ranged attack, although such a thing can hardly be considered characteristic of plants in the first place.
Thinking of what might stop such an attack, you find yourself thoroughly surprised by a pillar of milk-colored crystals suddenly jutting by your side. A mineral based attack...? You step back, only to notice that the cursed grass around the pillar is dying, shriveling into unrecognizable pulp.

The pillar cracks in half, and inside was a scythe, whose blade is made of salt. Its ragged surface hides the reflection of a ruined empire, brought to its knees by the work of bandits who salted the earth and let no crop grow. Gained Harbinger of Famine! (Current charge: 0 + [3 Def => 1] = 1)
Guarded by this strange item, you level the strange weapon at the worm ensnaring Miya; [3 => 1 ✔️] with a sudden series of loud cracks, it kicks against your shoulder without unleashing a single puff of smoke. Broken--? The noxious worm seems unfazed.

[4 dmg - (8 -> 3) = 1] And yet at your feet, the sticky trap dissolves into a white powder, freeing Miya. In the distance, the worm slumps forward, revealing exit wounds the sizes of basketballs on its back. Looking back to Miya, you notice bullet holes on the wall of the school building. It looks like the same number of shots you fired. (description added)

"Okay! Plants and bugs ... these seem similar to my phantasm.

Makiko closes her eyes and attempts to call forth her centipede again, or a bird to peck at the worms. She'll dodge the plantlife.

[2 Wt => 0 ❌] Having no idea what will happen next, you simply try and get out of the way. (you moved 3 units tangent to the worm and away from the 'fallen witch') It spit a net at your current position, several meters across! Good thing you are quick on your feet. (The AoE radius is 1)
[4 Pw => 2] Looking up above, you ponder the usefulness of a bird. It could maybe help you get over the giant lizard's corpse... You decide to look for one.

It's dark. The forest that you remember never got this dark. You remember the sound of small birds chirping in the night, taunting their predators until they get worn out. That sound is gone. All you hear is a faint fluttering of a crow's wings as it follows you in the night.
You stumble upon a body in the dark, surrounded by rats in a circle. One rat approaches the body, plaintively jabbing at it as if its actions are being watched. A giant beak lifts the body, saving it from the rats.

Crossing eyes with the new creature, you realize that it's the crow you heard. She tucks the body neatly between two branches, and then looks up toward the moon with her shiny eyes that have many pupils. A flock of crows flies in front of it, snuffing it out. Suddenly you hear the raucous voice of many crows once more.
Your new companion stands a meter above you, calmly surveying the battlefield.

Summoned Morrigan, Groundskeeper of the Abyss

Quickly focusing on summoning a weapon I charge at the fallen witch she seems responsible for all this

"Target the girl she seems to control them."

You make contact with the witch (at speed 3), brandishing a shining steel sword pulled straight from the aether. A glowing sword manifests itself in front of her, and she reaches out to grab it just in time for you to cross swords with her. This cuts a huge notch in your blade, while the witch's glowing sword remains as pristine as can be. It crackles and sparks like a campfire, leading you to believe that it isn't truly a sword, but some sort of vile conjuration.

[4 => 1 VS 3 -> 2 ❌ blocked] [2 => 1 - 5 => 2 ✔️ you take no counterattack damage]
(3 => 0 she fails to charge her sword)

Ryo guesses that the witch controls fire, though he isn't quite sure.
Makiko used her efforts on reacting to the worm's ranged attack (Anticipation). Her companion spots a Spore Pod (distance: 20), which was previously hidden by the mass of crows overhead.
Nagisa's focus is on the worms (Prediction). [6 => 3] They are slow creatures and only attack once every other turn. The remaining worm has used its attack and will not attack next turn.

Spoiler: New Defense System (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:52:10 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 25, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »

There, thank you! If you have fight us, at least do it properly. Vi Et Armis!

Set up a ring of fire around me toward against plant-based attacks, then charge one of the pale beings closer to friendlies, jabbing at it's head with the flaming gladius.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 26, 2018, 02:53:42 am »

"Mother of god," Mitsuru says completely dumbfounded by the awesome display in front of her. She kind of takes a few steps back, unsure of her own safety. She clutches her rifle tightly. I should have grabbed some ammo.

Civil war skeletons, a flaming Roman legionnaire, a Scotsman and what are those?

"What is this?" She askes bluntly.

Mitsuru shoots anything that attacks her until it dies, using up all four rounds in her rifle.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 26, 2018, 09:57:03 am »

Makiko will have Morrigan carry her toward the spore pod. She will attempt to summon a swarm of bugs to eat the spore pod.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2018, 11:37:11 pm »

Examining the scythe made of salt, Nagisa figured that it was too brittle to be used as a weapon. Besides, based on its weakened structure, she surmised that it would be surprising if it managed to protect her from plant based attacks more than once. Since it was small and light enough to be attached to her uniform, which she did. Glancing at the killed worm 'demon', Nagisa glanced at its kin and concluded that it is so sluggish that it isn't an immediate threat.

However, the 'witch' is the greatest threat. Though Nagisa is unable to wrap her head around the fact that people like them could use their powers for evil. Nevertheless, Nagisa must stop her no matter what she must do. However, based on the spread of the Celestial Annihilator, which fires like a battalion of musketeers by the way, she is worried that she will hit Ryo as well as the 'witch'. Perhaps she needs something more accurate?

Closing her eyes and taking slow and steady breaths, Nagisa pictured the Celestial Repeater in her head. To will herself into summoning it, she focusing on the weapon's arms, on its bolt holder and stock. She even focused on the curvature of the trigger and the mechanisms that pulled at the bowstring, dropping the bolt into the groove at the top of the stock, and releasing the bowstring to fire the bolt, all in a single cycle.

Focusing, Nagisa will unsummon the Annihilator and summon the Repeater. If successful at her attempt, she will then imbue the weapon with 2 Presence before shooting at the 'witch'. If not and she receives a weapon she didn't summoned before, Nagisa will test out its capabilities on the other worm 'demon'.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:42:53 pm by Sir Elventide »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2018, 05:26:20 am »

Striking high then low LeFrank felt like he was back at home training. He could even almost feel his old armor's weight, wait he could feel it's weight metal covered him bending at joints covering his entire body (Put a ward protecting against physical damage)

Chuckling he slammed his sword down on the witch then grabbed her wrist pulling it out of the way then drive his sword home
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:32 am »

There, thank you! If you have fight us, at least do it properly. Vi Et Armis!

Set up a ring of fire around me toward against plant-based attacks, then charge one of the pale beings closer to friendlies, jabbing at it's head with the flaming gladius.

You retreat through the pair of enemies to your right, taking you past Mitsuru and closer to Makoto's wall of skeletal gunmen hastily working to reload their weapons. [Reload finished! They will fire again next turn.]

[4 Df => 4! ⚡] An unstoppable blaze surrounds you, arching between your shoulders like a fiery halo. You feel a presence at your shoulder, a guiding hand, but as you glare to your side you see only your faceless attacker coming at you with a sweeping kick.
[3 Wt => 3! vs 2 => 1 ⚡] The kick proves futile. You cut his remaining leg out from under him. Then, a blazing glint of steel emerges from its face, as you kick the body out from behind. (You auto-finished a Shackled Spirit)

Hardly exhausted, you ready your weapon as the remaining three charge you. As horrific beings pour in from the field, you stand your ground against the three ravening monsters, soon expecting to join your friends.
Friends... Fighting life-or-death has that quality, doesn't it? As the scriptures say, whoever is not against you us for you.

The first faceless minion throws himself at you with a tackle. The other two swoop in from either side, the one at the right reaching for your weapon, while the one at the left prepares a kick.

(2)(2)(3) vs [4 -> 3, 4 damage blocked by Ward] The enemies cluster into each other, unavoidably placing themselves close together and ripe for an attack. Hampered by their positioning, they move so slowly that you can attempt a counterstrike against all three...

[6 => 3] vs (0)(0)(2) Flaming metal cuts through both, revealing gills on the inside of their bodies, much like the underside of a mushroom.

Surprisingly, the one to your right managed to roll out of the way, currently knocked down on all fours. If it had eyes, it'd be glaring at you.

[You summoned a master-level Ward, since you rolled a critical defense]
[You performed a Wit dodge--since you used your Pc for movement, you had to dodge by outwitting your opponent instead]
[Unallocated Pc can be rolled for a Presence dodge, in which case you roll against your attacker's Wit, or his Presence (melee)/Skill roll (ranged), whichever is higher]

Spoiler: Targets (click to show/hide)

"Mother of god," Mitsuru says completely dumbfounded by the awesome display in front of her. She kind of takes a few steps back, unsure of her own safety. She clutches her rifle tightly. I should have grabbed some ammo.

Civil war skeletons, a flaming Roman legionnaire, a Scotsman and what are those?

"What is this?" She askes bluntly.

Mitsuru shoots anything that attacks her until it dies, using up all four rounds in her rifle.

You listen momentarily for a response from Hway, but hearing nothing you assume the worst and focus on the gray figures coming out of the forest of terrors.

They look like cartoonish spiders, a round bulb propped up on eight legs thin as drinking straws. An awful hard target. Worse, there are five of them.

Not enough bullets to go around.

[7 => 2] BAM! The first shot deafens you to the next three, and as the trigger pulls itself you feel your instincts snapping the gun into position with the finesse of a trained killer. If a little girl could handle a weapon this cleanly, she'd draw a lot of attention, but given that this gun likely didn't come from the same world as yours, looks notwithstanding...

The last surviving spider creeps over, and you realize that your legs can't carry you fast enough to avoid this one... towering over you, it raises a single needle-like leg and thrusts for the kill--
"I think I've figured out your power," a voice tells you from behind. The world has suddenly turned black. Faint outlines of the battlefield imprint themselves on your retina, as do muffled sounds, but it's so quiet still that you can hear your own heartbeat.
"Not a bad one, in fact." she says, making sure not to let go of you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Makiko will have Morrigan carry her toward the spore pod. She will attempt to summon a swarm of bugs to eat the spore pod.

Morrigan impels you with the gift of flight, and together the two of you climb toward the bobbing concoction floating in the sky. Could it be the source of all this? Morrigan's fellow crows part ways, allowing the two of you the clearest of views: A balloon made of gills and leaves. Popping it could spread its pestilence far and wide.
Fortunately, the trick you have in mind is annihilation. There will be nothing left of it.

[3 => 2 ✔️] You feel a pulsating force in your backpack. Unzipping it, a swarm of fireflies emerges. The swarm of motes stands out against the dark stormclouds overhead. But the insects have a difficult time keeping up with you. They will arrive next turn, as would you if you truly desire to close in.

[Approaching Spore pod at 7 speed; distance = 13.]

Examining the scythe made of salt, Nagisa figured that it was too brittle to be used as a weapon. Besides, based on its weakened structure, she surmised that it would be surprising if it managed to protect her from plant based attacks more than once. Since it was small and light enough to be attached to her uniform, which she did. Glancing at the killed worm 'demon', Nagisa glanced at its kin and concluded that it is so sluggish that it isn't an immediate threat.

However, the 'witch' is the greatest threat. Though Nagisa is unable to wrap her head around the fact that people like them could use their powers for evil. Nevertheless, Nagisa must stop her no matter what she must do. However, based on the spread of the Celestial Annihilator, which fires like a battalion of musketeers by the way, she is worried that she will hit Ryo as well as the 'witch'. Perhaps she needs something more accurate?

Closing her eyes and taking slow and steady breaths, Nagisa pictured the Celestial Repeater in her head. To will herself into summoning it, she focusing on the weapon's arms, on its bolt holder and stock. She even focused on the curvature of the trigger and the mechanisms that pulled at the bowstring, dropping the bolt into the groove at the top of the stock, and releasing the bowstring to fire the bolt, all in a single cycle.

Focusing, Nagisa will unsummon the Annihilator and summon the Repeater. If successful at her attempt, she will then imbue the weapon with 2 Presence before shooting at the 'witch'. If not and she receives a weapon she didn't summoned before, Nagisa will test out its capabilities on the other worm 'demon'.

The devourer falls appart at your feet. It dissembles itself into a myriad of parts, gears, and screws, and then reassembles itself into the Repeater you once held familiar. It seems every bit as alien as the weapon you saw before.
[4 => 2✔️] Pulling the trigger, your projectile sings true.

(see next turn for cumulative effects on the witch)

(Harbinger of Famine gained 3=>1 charge this turn.)

Striking high then low LeFrank felt like he was back at home training. He could even almost feel his old armor's weight, wait he could feel it's weight metal covered him bending at joints covering his entire body (Put a ward protecting against physical damage)

Chuckling he slammed his sword down on the witch then grabbed her wrist pulling it out of the way then drive his sword home

The witch continues with her blank faceless stare, unrelenting against your onslaught.

Her loss.

[4Pw => 3] You raise your sword and prepare for a strik--[4Wt => 2 vs 5 => 3 ❌] The muddy witch just put her sword right through your chest! You feel a warmth in the location of your heart.
That's how you know it's not over. When you died the first time, the world felt cold and indifferent. That can't be farther from the truth here.

(4 Pw => 2 damage) [5Df -> 1 damage blocked by standard defense roll][5 => 3 charge toward Ward (-1 due to extra damage) ✔️]

You reel back, and notice white-hot metal dripping from your breastplate--but there is no hole all the way through. That flaming sword is nothing but a shallow conjuration, if it can't beat simple steel!

(6Pc => 4 vs Nagisa's skill roll result of 2) A gleaming arrow knocks the flaming sword out of the witch's hand, and she takes flight. (2 Pc overshoot) An line of apple tree saplings sprouts from the ground to catch her from falling, as she attempts to flee toward the great serpent's corpse.
(She will attempt to sprint gracefully across the upper branches)

Youka and Miya focus on the worms sprouting from the ground--the sound of firecrackers fills the air with a loud cacophony of pops.

Spoiler: Targets (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2018, 08:31:07 am »

Makiko will allow the fireflies to advance ahead ofher, and will prepare to deal with any spreading contamination. A spell of purification? Maybe some salt pixies? She will prepare a wind against any noxious attacks.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 08, 2018, 11:25:57 am »

When the Annihilator resembled itself into the weapon she wanted, Nagisa became very relieved. Turns out that focusing is the key here and Nagisa intends to make use of it. However, now isn't the time to celebrate: the witch is getting away and the surviving worm 'demon' is about to attack. Fortunately, she has just the weapon to deal with fleeing enemies.

"Ryo, take down that worm 'demon' over there!" Nagisa said, pointing at the aforementioned creature. "I'll deal with the witch!"

Putting all of her Presence into her Repeater, Nagisa will attempt to turn the witch into a pincushion with guided arrows.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29