Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wispward, a Pony Fort - Chapter 1: Hopeful Beginnings  (Read 3409 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Wispward, a Pony Fort - Chapter 1: Hopeful Beginnings
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:57 am »

The Tale of Wispward
A Pony Saga By The Immortal Ryukan

"Everypony has their own way of Life" - Kal the Bard

It's been said that Ponykind was once a prosperous and peaceful society. One where friendship and equality were held in the highest regard. Where family and food were never in want. Those must have been in a different time, because the world has changed.

The world has bled.

The Bronze Lyrics, that was the name of our Nation. Onur Oiledlace founded the nation of ponies with the intention of bringing lasting peace into the world. She managed to live that dream for fifteen years before reality caught up to her. She, along with the rest of her court and family were killed when the first wave of Buffalo came. Poetloves fell quickly and all the settlements under the Bronze Banner were soon occupied and the Nation was placed under Buffalo rule, as nothing more than a puppet to them. Many battles were fought and soon the Buffalo were driven back out. But as we took one moment to catch our breath, the Changelings swooped in from the West across the mountains and laid waste to what little we had regained.

The Bronze Lyrics were no more. Pony society still lives up in the North under the banner of the Fresh Song, but they are hated by the ponies of Bronze Lyric, a hatred that burned hotter than the hottest furnace, for in their time of need, the Northern Ponies turned on their Southern kin.

It has since been 100 years since the last fall of the Bronze Lyrics. But hope may yet still sound. A group of 20 survivors had assembled in the ruins of Poetloves and has embarked on a quest to rekindle the lost society and to finally take their revenge on those that had wronged them. Will they be successful or will they be doomed to fail and be crushed under the weight of the world?

We Shall See.

Hello everyone, and welcome to my third and final attempt at a pony fort. My last two forts ended prematurely due to factors both inside and outside my control. This fort however will likely be the riskiest of the three. In the world I genned there was just one evil biome, a one map tile Mountain. I have never tried to play in an evil biome before so don't get too attached to any particular ponies. Speaking of ponies, I used dfhack to start with 20 ponies instead of seven because in all my other pony forts, the Changelings came extremely early and chopped by poor equines to bits before snow even fell. Plus we are starting as a dead civ, there WAS a perfectly good and alive pony civ up north, but come on, wheres the !!FUN!! in that?

As with my other forts, I will have some self-imposed challenges/rules.

Spoiler: Rules and Challenges (click to show/hide)

Here's a List of Dorfed... er, "ponied" ponies.

Spoiler: Named Ponies (click to show/hide)

As for updates, I will try to keep them regular, but with college and stuff, it may be widely spaced between updates.

But, this has been my gal for a while, to create a successful pony fort that lives past the first year.

So, here we go, I hope you enjoy Wispward, A Pony Tale.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:59:44 am by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:24:13 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Wispward, a Pony Fort - Chapter 0: Please Work This Time
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:06:06 am »

!!Suporting Post!!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:45:46 am »

1st of Granite, 150, The Age of Myth

Ruins of Poetloves

As the wind whistled through the long abandoned and crumbling ruins of the once bright city, a trio of ponies made their way to the edge of the former city. Tunur, a Unicorn and leader of the trio trotted in the front as Kal, a Pegasus Scholar, and Atrid, a Pegasus Administrator, followed behind. The Sun had gone down a few minutes before, bathing the world in twilight until the moon came to rule over the night.

A larger group of ponies awaited the trio at the ruined gates with a wagon and a few supplies.

Spoiler: Ponies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: supplies (click to show/hide)

One of the ponies in the large group stepped towards the trio, "Have you found a spot for us?"

Tunur replied, "Yes, but its far to the east, on the tip of the mountains Rithul. We had a particular peak in mind..."

While already silent, the area seemed to grow even more so as Rithul pressed, "Are you serious? We wanted safety, not death. If we go there we will meet a fate far worse than death. What drove you to choose there?"

"Think, theres only 20 of us plus a few stragglers who didn;t make this meeting but will join us later. So about 30, thats a small group yes, but we also have 3 ponies who know more than enough about Swordsponyship. If we make for there we can set up in this valley here," Tunur points at the map,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"And once we build a small shelter we can expand. Once the Changelings find us, we'll be safe behind our walls and whatever force they send after us will be decimated by the 'wildlife' there."

Rithul remained silent for a few moments before speaking, "If you think and believe that, I will follow you, but I sure hope you know what your doing."

"So its settled, is all our stuff here?" Lunur asked

"Yeah, as much loot and personal items we could find," a Unicorn Trader named Stelmith answered.

"Well, we're off now, the rest will catch up eventuelly, I left a spell here for them to see where we are going."

With that the group of ponies headed off into the darkening Twilight.

15th of Granite, 150, Age of Heroes

As the wagon slowed to a stop in the valley flanked by two branches protruding from the ominous mount looming over the valley like a shadow of malevolence. A small stream wound its way through the valley floor as trees grew beyond the reach of the evil that hung on the air like a choking fog.

"Well, here we are My Little Ponies. Lets get a shelter up as soon as we can." Tunur said as the ponies began to shift out of their daze towards the mountain. Living here under that constant shadow would be difficult, but they would do what they could to Live on and bring revenge against the damn Changelings.

Spoiler: Welcome to Wispward (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Our New Home (click to show/hide)

I'll be updating the OP to include profiles of all the ponies and their appearances so you can choose which ones you'd like to be dorfed/ponied as.

Here's to a long and prosperous fort.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:49:58 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:24 pm »

*Crosses fingers*
Ancestprs help you if this crashes and burns like the last ones.
Pony me as a male hammer - pegasus named Imic.
This time though, no connection to Undarak. Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:14:04 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:53:55 pm »

Heh, why not, eh?

Pony me as Eser, the Mason Pony (I assume E is for Earth Pony?)

I'd like my priorities and only work initially to be the construction of the walled fortifications. After initial wall defenses are up, make smooth stone blocks to set up a proper wall and defense.

Buildings can come later unless we need to flee underground to avoid weather conditions. If that is the case (yay, for evil biomes) then still fortify the underground entrance and make aboveground structures with ceilings. Projectile slits on the second floor only.

Good luck!
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »

I know nothing about ponies but I inexplicably want to be that administrator pony. Call it Maximum Horse. :P

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »

I'd like the farmer pony, named MottledPetrel. I know next to nothing about the lore of My Little Pony, so if I try to make a personal journal for my pony and I get some things incorrect just know that most of this is going over my head.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:43 am »

k, I will try to get all of you in, and you don't really need to know the lore of the show, this is a separate world isn't it?

All you need to know

Earth Ponies: Strong and are good at manual labor such as farming and mining.

Pegasi: Winged Ponies with a penchant for weapons, ideal military ponies. (They don't fly in game due to a bug)

Unicorns: Unlike DF unicorns, these ponies possess magic in their horns allowing levitation in game and are generally the most noble and administration ponies.

Alicorns: The Royals. Each pony civ gets one immortal Alicorn at the beginning of world gen, tho they have a nasty tendency to die off really fast. They posses the wings of Pegasi and the Horns of Unicorns and possess the strength of Earth ponies.

Cutie Marks: The mark on the flanks of almost all ponies that signifies what they do in life. In game its random, but I still try to fit ponies into a field related to their cutie mark.

There are several new workshops in this mod that I haven;t gotten to use, so I will be in just a surprise as the rest of you when I hopefully get them.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:11:56 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 04:06:37 pm »

thanks, that'll probably be enough for me to go off of

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 11:18:08 am »

1st of Hematite 125, The Age of Myth

Well, journal, this is rather unexpected. I never thought we'd live long enough for me to even bother, but now that summer is here and 3 months have passed, I am beginning to think we may yet survive here.

I'll brief you on what has transpired to this point.

Right when we got here I ordered a large pit dug into the ground where we could put our farms.
Spoiler: Pit (click to show/hide)

I also had our carpenter go around and fell a few trees so we could begin to build.
Spoiler: Cut Trees (click to show/hide)

Once we had enough wood, we began to construct a small palisade around the wagon and the pit
Spoiler: First Walls (click to show/hide)

We added a small stockpile to the bottom of the enclosure, ad we began to dig a temporary underground bunker with farms in the center.
Spoiler: Wood stockpile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: First dwelvings (click to show/hide)

Perhaps the greatest scare we got was when the weirdest and most unnatural thing happened.

I have heard stories of weather like this how it could melt your skin clean off or even turn you into an undead horror. I sequestered the ponies caught out in the "rain" and inspected them from head to tail. After a few hours of waiting, nothing overtly bad was happening, outside their disgust and annoyance at being outside in blood rain.

Checking the surroundings, I only saw a handful of not-un-dead wildwife. If this mountain is infested as the legends goes, then the forces of necromancy haven;t shown their faces yet.
Spoiler: Current Wildlife (click to show/hide)

It was halfway through Slate when I got the most joyous of news.
Spoiler: Sweet Metal (click to show/hide)

While its not Hematite, It is more than I could've hoped for. With that discovery, we began to build the necessary workstations on the surface.

I ordered our miners to mine the whole vein out and to be on the lookout for more.
Spoiler: Yes I used digv (click to show/hide)

Before long after that, we had managed to set up the dorm room for us to sleep in for now. while not a royal apartment, it IS more than we've had in years.

I stopped by our Smelter to see how we were doing and what I saw was pure joy. A small stack of ingots of silver and Copper.

I left Stelmith, our Earth Pony Smith, and went to order a lever be hooked up to our new Microcline gate.
Spoiler: Lever (click to show/hide)

After that, the rest of the season went on rather uneventfully. We added another section to the above ground and began work on a new tavern for our ponies to drink and be merry. We put that anvil of our to good use and set up a forge for future use. And we began to add another lever to out walls, with an overhang so nothing can climb over. All in all, it has been a surprisingly productive and fruitful Spring.
Spoiler: Lower Wispward (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Above Ground (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Second Story (click to show/hide)

With Summer now here, I must plan ahead for our continued survival.
Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)

I look forward to writing in your this coming Fall.

P.S. This is really getting annoying

Here are your requested Ponies, tho I didnlt have precisely what some of you wanted (Your now a Girl Pegasus Imic, sorry), but I got the basic roles and pony type down.

Spoiler: Eser (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maximum Horse (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MottledPetrel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Here is the list of Ponies as it currently stands:
Spoiler: Ponies (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Wispward, a Pony Fort - Chapter 1: Hopeful Beginnings
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 03:24:05 pm »

'Tis okay.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 04:20:59 pm »

1st of Limestone 125, The Age of Myth

Another season has come and gone and progress has been made. To say I am surprised would be a massive understatement.

It started out when I was informed that there happened to be a Hematite vein just to the west of the Fortress in the cliff. I looked and sure enough, disguised by the pony blood, there was a vein of precious Hematite. I ordered it mined, and after hearing the complaints of blood and zombies, I said they better dig it or no more tea.

It wasn;t long after that that I got reports of figures moving in from the north. Panicking I sent word to Imic to ready her troops, but right before I ordered the gates shut, I got a hail from the figures and was relieved that it was just one of the groups expected to come. I quickly ordered the guard to stand down (I swear I heard Imic mumbling about boredom, but that's just me probably).

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A party of Four (click to show/hide)

They made their way in and told of how they found the message and traveled here. They came from the north because te south was being guarded by a small changeling post. I was worried, but now was the time for revelry, more of our comrades had arrived and where settling down. We moved into the newly finished tavern and had a few drinks from a few freshly hewn goblets.

It was around this time that I noticed how little I saw of Imic. I wanted to see if she was all right, so I went down into the mines and I swear to the Princess, Imic, the infallible Soldier, was cuddling with Vakist the Pegasus Bard. I wasted no time in hightailing it out of there. I was happy for them, but wow, IMIC of all people.

Spoiler: Just... Wow (click to show/hide)

After that, the season passed uneventfully. We recieved a few wandering ponies in the tavern who told tales of the going-ons in the world.

Spoiler: Tales (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Travelers (click to show/hide)

.... Ugghh, I am being called to the surface again, more figures spotted on the horizon. I guess I leave you for now journal. From the shouts and amount of traffic being caused, I think this may not be some more migrants.

Until next time.

Spoiler: Uninvited Guests (click to show/hide)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:21:42 am »

pony me up I suppose. A pony named Hero/Heroine I suppose works. a pony in the military would be cool.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 11:21:29 am »

Well, the One Year anniversary of the O.B.A. passed us by this last July and we didn't even notice. To those of you who don't know, I run a discord and steam group called the O.B.A. where many people with many different gaming backgrounds have come. If you aren't already, I encourage you to join and take part in all our activities. (The steam page could use some love, but the discord is going strong)

O.B.A. Discord

O.B.A. Steam Page

Pages: [1] 2