Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Noob question) No Hearth-quest dialogue option available?  (Read 2860 times)

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
(Noob question) No Hearth-quest dialogue option available?
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:11:59 pm »

Hey quick question, I'm on df 43.05 and I spawned as a dwarf swordsman in a fortress.
As soon as I spawned I went searching for the mayor and greeted him bla bla bla, but when I looked for the "duties of a hearth-person" dialogue option it wasn't there??
I'm not sure if I did something wrong but I checked legends viewer and it says I'm part of the faction, which I believe makes me a hearth-person already...

anyone know why?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Noob question) No Hearth-quest dialogue option available?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »

Wait, did you start as "Locally Important" or as a "Peasant"? You're not a hearthperson if you started as the latter.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:25:17 pm »

I hadn't thought about the position of locally important or not, so I tested both important and peasant status but both seem to have no hearth-person dialogue options, as well as no option to become a hearth-person.

screenshots
Locally important fortress guard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Peasant hillock dwarf

I also checked the raws and the mayor entity file has the [KILL_QUEST] token, so he supposedly should be giving out quests to hearth-persons

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:36 pm »

Does the mayor actually give quests? It's usually the lord (generally you start in the same room if you're a hearthsperson.

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:41 pm »

In the raws of the game it says that it's supposed to be the mayor, or any position with the [KILL_QUEST] token, and there is no "lord" position in the dwarf raws, I think lords are only in human hamlets.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »

Lords are site rulers of any human or goblin settlement, mayors may serve the same function in hillocks, but I've never seen any hearthpeople options in conversation with fortress mayors. If you started as a member of the fortress guard, then try speaking with the captain of the guard.

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »

Although I would try to find a captain of the guard to see if it would work I just checked the raws and inside it shows that they don't have the [KILL_QUEST] token at all so they can't even give quests...

screenshot for proof

Also I checked the human side of the raws and there is no set "Lord" entity, instead it has a [VARIABLE_POSITION] token, which in short means that the game dynamically generates a leader position for human sites.

proof

So all I can conclude from this is that when the game generates a world and dynamically makes these positions for the human and goblin civs it gives these positions some kind of special token or tag that allows them to give quests to hearth-persons, while all-ready written positions in the dwarf and elf raws can't seem to give quests to their own hearth-persons even with the [KILL_QUEST] token...

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

You can conclude before leaving your first settlement that adventurer mode implementation is very human-centric, and other civs lack many of their features.

Also, there are more to generated raws than are revealed in the folder. The only position of site rulership isn't variable at all; if it's native it's always a lord/lady, if occupied it's always an administrator. The human civ ruler is always a Law-giver, just as the dwarven and elven civ rulers are always monarchs. These aren't the only templates defined in internal data not exposed to notepad browsing. If you have dfhack you should look into the structures with gm-editor.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:05 pm »

[KILL_QUEST] was more relevant in older versions, when site leaders tended to give 'bigger' quests than random peasants. If you want orders, then you should talk to your commanding officer, thus the captain of the guard.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »

As of this version the only purpose for their orders and duties is character roleplaying. You could achieve the same results from finding the beasts or brigands or skulking vermin or etc. yourself and spreading the news through direct report or story telling. The further afield you travel to find new quests and challenges, the less relevant your hometown becomes anyway.

And in this version everyone in the whole civ has the same rumors. Ask a rustic peasant about beasts and he'll explain to you how much glory you would bring him by vanquishing some fantastical thing on the ass-end of creation whose location he doesn't even know.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:55:09 pm by Uzu Bash »

foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike true
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:44:27 am »

I see, I guess I put too much faith in just the raws, I'll check out gm editor and inspect this further.

Also your right I could've just used the troubles dialogue option the whole time if I needed quests :P

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »

Bandit leaders give quests to liutenants aswell, also it is "ask for advice or services pertaining to your duty as x"  it's not "give me hearth quest" . In my modded version I have "Ranger Captains" that give quests to rangers in elf sites, I would have to look at my raws to see what combination of tags I gave them that enabled that, but I'm on my phone so I cannot check right now.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »

As of this version the only purpose for their orders and duties is character roleplaying. You could achieve the same results from finding the beasts or brigands or skulking vermin or etc. yourself and spreading the news through direct report or story telling. The further afield you travel to find new quests and challenges, the less relevant your hometown becomes anyway.

And in this version everyone in the whole civ has the same rumors. Ask a rustic peasant about beasts and he'll explain to you how much glory you would bring him by vanquishing some fantastical thing on the ass-end of creation whose location he doesn't even know.

Completing the agreements they assign you gives you the "loyal soldier " reputation I'm not aware of any other activity that gives this kind of reputation. Also, there's the handy agreement list entry it gives you, and the removal of tyranny of choice which provides structure.

after I look at my raws I'll go ahead and update the quest wiki page with a guide of how to enable the new "quests" on them before I go to bed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:35:28 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

There should be lord reputations. If you have a pattern of recruiting competent people and assigning them duties suited to their ability so they succeed and all prosper, then insurrections couldn't gain traction. If you have a pattern of sending everyone on suicide missions for the sake of your own ego then your hearthies should assassinate you themselves.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 06:52:53 pm »

There should be lord reputations. If you have a pattern of recruiting competent people and assigning them duties suited to their ability so they succeed and all prosper, then insurrections couldn't gain traction. If you have a pattern of sending everyone on suicide missions for the sake of your own ego then your hearthies should assassinate you themselves.
Hmm good idea, but a bit off topic.

Since this thread is about the hearth quests, has anyone figured out how to complete the "cause trouble" quest? I could never wrap my head around it and if so someone should drop some info about it in the adventure mode wiki section, also the rumors/quests page is pretty messy tbh (and I'm the one who wrote it like a year ago) so if someone els could edit that without reducing the amount of information it would be great.ill edit it tonight when I play around in my raws when I get home.

Also OP you need to start as locally important or ask to become a hearth person(and be accepted)  to do those quests and it is only available for human/bandit  factions in vanilla as far as I am aware, fort guards might get them aswell I think that has happened. In any case it wouldn't be the mayor it would be the military leader, for human this is the lord/lady positions for bandits it's the leader.  In a fort assuming it works it would be captain of the guard.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:03:49 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: [1] 2