Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historical figures, what it is, how to ...  (Read 2094 times)

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Historical figures, what it is, how to ...
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »

In my recent digging about the ORIENTATION tag, i was pretty surprising to find out that some parameters seems to have effect only on "historical figures".
But i have very little information, in the wiki or elsewhere, about WHAT is an Historical Figures. What is the criterion that make dwarf/human/elf be one, in which condition etc...

And, most importantly, is it possible to make ALL the population of a race historical figures, despite the long information processing ?

Is so, how ?

Thanks ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Historical figures, what it is, how to ...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »

Historical figures are every unit you can see in the "historical figures" list in legends mode. Units who are not historical figures are mostly just population numbers seen in XML dumps, which are taken from to generate units seen when entering sites or when armies invade. They'll also be taken from to fill in required positions (nobles, generals etc.) when no historical figures are available.

Units can become historical figures upon doing something historically important, such as marrying a historical figure (though if they don't do anything through their life, they might be culled if that's on) or killing a historical figure.

There is no way to make all the population of a race historical figures.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:56 pm »

I was thinking of creating a new "position" that does require nothing and that is necessary in high number per site.
Could this done the job ?

I mean, if it truely substract from the "population" number to make Noble, it should be possible to nullify it by making A LOT of useless noble.
No ?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »

I think it would more likely inflate hist fig counts than reduce non-historical population count, if you get me, and doing so would not even remotely be worth it due to performance issues.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:10 am »

I thinks it's worth trying, and for performance issue, i don't thinks it's the case. I have currently on a world vastly more hist figs that pops of human. So it will decrease my perfs by less that a factor 2 if i transform all the human pops into hist fig.
Alos, notice that in the begenning i made this test to reduce the popping of population in a natural way without the limit of site so the goal is to have less population, and so less hist fig.

Of course, it would be bad to simulate 5000 years old worlds. But for 250/400 years i can manage to wait ^^ and i have a good CPU ^^

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:19:19 pm »

I thinks it's worth trying, and for performance issue, i don't thinks it's the case. I have currently on a world vastly more hist figs that pops of human. So it will decrease my perfs by less that a factor 2 if i transform all the human pops into hist fig.
Alos, notice that in the begenning i made this test to reduce the popping of population in a natural way without the limit of site so the goal is to have less population, and so less hist fig.

Of course, it would be bad to simulate 5000 years old worlds. But for 250/400 years i can manage to wait ^^ and i have a good CPU ^^

Really, memory matters more than CPU in worldgen. Maybe I'll get a special computer geared for playing DF sometime later. Crappy graphics, but you don't need it in ASCII, but good memory and a decent CPU.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 01:35:26 am »

My 32Gb or ram should do the tricks.
But it's not the limitant speed factor in my case, the speed limit is that even in last version 64 bit DF is desperatly mon CPU in essence and that even with last CPUs in high freq it remains to exploit only 5Ghz in mean (one CPU and some tricks due to the CPU logic improving repartition of charge on each core even with one thread, but it does not exploit all the CPU to 100%)

Well, of course, i manage to have a problem of disk memory when my DF region file take more that 5Go but well, i have large disk too and i erase my previous experiment ^^.

In conlusion i think some of us could manage to have ALL hist figs in a given pops. At least for small period simulations. I have made a suggestion about a tag that grant us access to this in the suggestion forum ^^

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 04:08:58 am »

How fast the RAM is matters way more than how fast CPU is for DF's performance.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 01:49:35 pm »

Hum Ok. ^^