Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different place naming system  (Read 608 times)

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different place naming system
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:30 pm »

Currently, oceans, mountains, taverns, etc. are given names such as "Scalemugs the Well-slapped Hole". People refer to them by saying things like "I took a long trip to scalemugs yesterday".

Is scalemugs an ocean, a tavern, or a mountain? Who knows.

A solution to this problem would be to allow each civ to give it a name, refered to in their native tounge. For example, someone would now say, "I took a long trip to the Ôvunspul Tavern yesterday." With this system, place names could even become part of the given civ's wordbank, and things named using the old system, such as items, people, and beasts could be named after them or have them in their name, for example, "Holeslapper the Terror of Ôvunspul".

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Different place naming system
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:52 am »

I believe there's currently a notion about things being named after other things, if I remember it correctly they talked about it (or at least the specific example of children being named after your adventurer) in one of the DF talks. I believe it was the one about cultures.

I'd also like to note that they are given different names, or at least partially different, with oceans being called things such as "the sea of bathing" and mountains "the mountainous range". Taverns and sites have more similar names, but taverns tend to have words associated with "festive" things and "food"; so Scalemugs would probably be a tavern rather than an ocean, a mountain, or a hamlet.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different place naming system
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:39:53 am »

Other name sources could be historic events such as a divine apparition, a local hero or a battle.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."