Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to salvage this?  (Read 1396 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to salvage this?
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:36:18 am »

I embarked on a cold site with an aquifer just below the surface. In winter I was channeling out a channel for fortress defense, when disaster struck. I hit the aquifer and both of my miners fell down the channel they just dug, the water instantly froze, the dwarves were encased in ice and they died. They carried my only pickaxes.

So now it is summer again and the corpses are visibile, together with the pickaxes, in 7/7 water. But my dwarves apparently can't fish them out. I tried building a screw pump, but there is not enough space. And I can't make more space without a pickaxe. I also have no access to any stone, although I do have lots of wood.

What now? Any way out of this mess?

And another question: why did my dwarves fall down their own channel - is there a way to prevent that from happening? According to the wiki it should not be possible, I'm confused about how it happened.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:39:05 am by Quarque »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to salvage this?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:45:48 am »

Wait for the next human or dwarven trade caravan, trade for a pickaxe or just take it.
You can make pump parts out of wood in the meantime, if you want to pump out the water in the aquifer.
I would rather wait for winter to give it another go, be able to retrieve your pickaxes that way too.

If they were standing on the channeled tile while it was being channeled, they would fall. I've had it happen to me before. I could be wrong, but I surmise that is what happened since you had two miners channeling at the same time. Maybe make single designations or priority your designations to give you more control over which tiles get channeled first.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:28:30 am »

You say there is not enough room for a screw pump: Do you mean there isn't room physically or that you don't have room for the water to flow off? In the latter case a Portable Drain might be useful, i.e. a track stop set to dump into a wall with a mine cart on top of the track stop and a screw pump pumping into the track stop tile. This should be enclosed on three sides with walls and with the screw pump's impassable (output) tile on the fourth (and the diagonals should be blocked by walls as well). A Portable Drain can get rid of unlimited amounts of water, keeping the level steady at 5/7 in the track stop tile.

Otherwise caravans are an option, as are migrants, provided you've kept the default to have professions enabled. You may then get miner migrants that come with their own tools.

Dorfs have no concept of workplace safety, and unless you keep tight control over them they'll happily channel away tiles under the feet of others, or remove floor in an order that causes cave-ins. When you order dorfs to channel a shaft straight down they follow the order and fall (safely) each tile channeled, until they manage to grab hold of the wall when falling, at which time they climb out of the shaft (to the ire of the manager).
In your case they might not have fallen: they may have pathed through the tile before there was any water on it as the tile is a ramp, to get killed as soon as water entered the tile from the sides. I've had at least one dorf killed by pathing through a ramp shortcut as sloshing magma entered the tile.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 05:01:40 am »

Right, thanks. Buying pickaxes did the tricks, although I screwed up at first because I tried to hard to negotiate and the dwarven caravan said they were "tired of your childish games" and left, so I had to wait for another year

So one year later they're back, I buy the pickaxe (offering them an outrageous profit) and I promptly receive the message that one of my dwarves has gone MIA. Turns out I had forgotten to remove the unsafe channeling designations, and I had already assigned the job of mining to someone, so he immediately picked up the pick and got himself killed with it.

Another year later I bought two new pickaxes and started work on breaching the aquifer. It extends down all the way to the topmost caverns. One of my dwarves died of old age before I had worked my way down, finally getting access to plain stone, so that I may bury the dead. Epic success.  8)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:04:30 am »

In current version, merchant happiness is pointless. It's always 50%+ profit, no less, no matter the happiness or skills of your broker.

Though got to admit, literally dying from old age before breaching is hilarious.

However, a stone aquifer that extends to the cavern is ...interesting. I've seen this, and my advice is to not dig any aquifer-bearing rock in caverns unless you can deal with it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:27:03 am »

Yes, conglomerate and sandstone can reach a long way down. I've seen it in the first cavern as well, although fortunately that aquifer was not part of my main biome, so I could get down the to cavern without too much trouble. Breaching the cavern through such an aquifer is not a major issue, although smoothing the walls with a hole to the cavern in the floor is a safety issue until dealt with. Any mining in an aquifer is messy, though, but not impossible. Water spilling into a sufficiently large open area is not much of an issue either, as the water spreads out to a maximum, after which evaporation balances the influx.

And, by the way, congratulation to the success. It's good to hear you kept at it despite the difficulties: overcoming such adversities is generally rewarded with a sense of achievement.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 01:49:53 pm »

I had a peek at this fortress with DHack Prospect. It turns out I am sitting on top of 10.318 raw Adamantine ore: it should be found from Z:-16 to Z:82.

Wow.. glad I didn't give up on this fortress! Not sure which part of these veins are going to be hollow and which part is safe to mine. But dear Armok, the potential. :o

xMAWLx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 09:31:42 pm »

You could maybe have used buckets to transfer water into a pit?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 02:50:04 am »

@xMAWLx: If I understand your comment correctly (which may not be the case), you don't understand how aquifers work (if so, search the wiki for a description). There is no way a bucket brigade can move water at the rate an aquifer produces new water. The only things that can keep up are drains, Portable Drains, and screw pumps.

@Quarque: Congratulations. Even if you only mine the candy tiles guaranteed to be safe, you've got a decent supply, but safe candy mining is rather overseer time consuming, as you have to mine only a few tiles at a time and use the results to determine what's safe to mine next. You may have a case of a pillar reaching the second cavern.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: added spoiler tags
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:18:30 pm by Quarque »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:39:33 pm »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »

I found an "easier" way:

EDIT: In other news, a section of the top cavern has collapsed. It was nowhere near any of my activities, so it's a mystery how it happened. I had not even seen that part of the cavern yet. It must have had something to do with the aquifer.

Shortly afterwards, the game crashed. I still have a recent savegame (because seasonal autosave).. this might end up as a bug report.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:37:12 pm by Quarque »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 02:05:56 am »

One way for spontaneous collapses to occur is to have trees collapse as a result of a fire (can be caused either by magma pools or flame bases FBs).