Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancers? Is this normal for them?  (Read 1229 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Necromancers? Is this normal for them?
« on: August 19, 2017, 06:19:38 am »

I'm not sure how to post screenshots from the game yet, but I'm sure someone will tell me. Recently I stumbled across in legends mode at war for necromancer found the secret to immortality from talking to a dingo woman, then held herself up in her tower for the next 900 or so years...just writing books, peacefully about the stuff around her, like I think biographies of dingomen, and her tower, and treastise about the reigion she was living in. Is it normal for them to be this peaceful in worldgen? ???

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers? Is this normal for them?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:09:34 am »

It can be, the procedural generation gives a wide range of possible progressions, and you'll see all kinds of progressions.

To take a screenshot: Depends on your system, with some variations, but the PrtScr button may well put the whole of your screen in the clipboard buffer that you can paste into any Paint-like program for editing (or perhaps straight into a file, to open by such an editor).  Alt-PrtScr likely does the same with the active window only, which saves editing time, but you're probably going to want to trim edges of anyway.

You may even want to take multiple screenshots of the DF screen, in differently-scrolled states, to compose into a larger display, but that's according to your wishes and capabilities.

Whatever you do to get the image, and compose it to your liking, now find an image-hosting site that you can upload to and get a link to in here. There are too many possible options to list, but plenty of free ones exist, with differing approaches and vaguaries to their operation. I leave you to discover what works for you, or get more learned suggestions from others.

(However you get to this point, use "Preview" and adjust, prior to "Post"ing, until you're happy.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:11:51 am by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:03 am »

Necromancers apparently don't do much of anything except write books in worldgen.

Perfectly normal for an animal person to become a necromancer and take on apprentices since the last release when animal people (and gorlaks and plump helmet people) became able to 'civilize' by joining dwarf, elf, human or goblin civs.

Even plump helmet men manage it somehow despite not being able to speak...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:34:23 am »

Yeah, that's it.

It's possible a war in a open field somewhere incites them to go and pick up corpses and make new tower(s) if they're leader of other necromantic groups that don't yet have a tower, but that seems to be it.

I've only seen very few worldgens where a certain necromancer leaves their tower to rejoin normal civilization as traveller - the one person that did this behaved like before building their first tower, creating new nomadic undead groups after visiting a new site every few years.

Post worldgen, the towers start attacking whatever is around, though.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 11:18:23 am »

It can be, the procedural generation gives a wide range of possible progressions, and you'll see all kinds of progressions.

To take a screenshot: Depends on your system, with some variations, but the PrtScr button may well put the whole of your screen in the clipboard buffer that you can paste into any Paint-like program for editing (or perhaps straight into a file, to open by such an editor).  Alt-PrtScr likely does the same with the active window only, which saves editing time, but you're probably going to want to trim edges of anyway.

You may even want to take multiple screenshots of the DF screen, in differently-scrolled states, to compose into a larger display, but that's according to your wishes and capabilities.

Whatever you do to get the image, and compose it to your liking, now find an image-hosting site that you can upload to and get a link to in here. There are too many possible options to list, but plenty of free ones exist, with differing approaches and vaguaries to their operation. I leave you to discover what works for you, or get more learned suggestions from others.

(However you get to this point, use "Preview" and adjust, prior to "Post"ing, until you're happy.)

Currently there are only 3 ways to become a necro:

Become a ardent worshipper of a death god and have them gift you with the slab that contains the secrets of life and death. (Or stealing and reading the slab)

Become an apprentice to a necromancer who lives in a tower (the dingo women way as described )

Learn the secrets of life and death by reading a book written by a necromancer who decided to write down the secret (this is a way for it to spread outside of towers and in fort and adventure mode)

Not a huge variety tbh.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:20:22 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:28:40 am »

((Snipped the irrelevant bits))

Currently there are only 3 ways to become a necro:

My understanding (maybe incorrect) was that it was a question about finding a 'pre-necromancered' historical figure who then turned to (rather un-Deathy) boom writing for centuries.

I was just saying that there's different things a character might do, after learning the Secret, and this is just one of them. (Maybe the safest. Without getting anywhere near trouble, or attracting attention, if you can live for up to a millennia then why not? I don't know what the chances are that they didn't want to go marauding and fail, though, or that someone else doesn't decide to maraud this hideaway and succeed.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 01:57:08 pm »

Heh, yeah, seen my fair share of necros who learned the secrets...and then instead of building a tower got ganked by giant animals some decades down the line.

An extension of this incredible risk awareness: Necros all start attacking around and conquering after worldgen has ended because they know worldgen has ended and that most player forts don't last even a decade. In that situation, their only hope to survive longer is to make the world more interesting so that the player would use it longer, instead of deleting it in favour of greener pastures.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »

I have recent confirmation that Necromancer doesn't attack anything at all in worldgen and doesn't be attack. At least where they are in a tower, new necromancer can be attack when building the tower or when traveling to a tower, but when they are the master of the tower they are protected from world gen and others are protected from them.

It's easy to check ; make a world with a lot of necromant (add religion:pantheon to each races and sphere:death to each, make immortal race mortal (it can be very long living mortal) and up to the max the number of secret : many many towers appears) and just observe that despite the force of undead nor hilllock, nor fortresses, nor the tiniest little village will be wipeout near towers, even if they are at only one tile distance ...

This fact could lead to a very brutal post-worldgen world ...