Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 287332 times)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: Crisis Acters
« Reply #1980 on: October 20, 2018, 09:10:32 am »

B is for Believe that this is actually a good idea.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11:52 am »

C
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 20, 2018, 04:58:11 pm »

Gm, stupid "minigame" for you, plz throw a coin

if it lands heads logic will prevail and I will vote C making it a draw

if it lands tails i will risk luck and vote B
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 20, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »

Mate, it's currently 3C 2B 1A. Just vote C and make it more decisive.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 20, 2018, 07:32:51 pm »

Wait. You have no way of knowing whether I flipped it fairly. So are you just asking what I prefer to happen?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: [S] Cascade
« Reply #1985 on: October 21, 2018, 10:53:35 am »

I already wrote fluff for C so let’s do that.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

“That’s it,” says Quill, peering into the chamber of the autoclave. The test tube had been remotely shattered and its contents subjected to hot steam for around fifteen minutes. “That’s the virus destroyed.”

He turned to the small team of researchers and engineers behind him, all covered, like he was, in foot to toe hazmat gear. “Can I have this thing cast into an iron brick and dropped into the Atlantic, please? Pays to be certain.”

As he was walking out of the lab he was met by a small man with unkempt hair. “Erin Quill, right?” he says. He bluntly holds his hand out. “Evan Wexcombe. Congratulations on getting your job back.”

“I thought Padelheb had everyone thinking I was a madman?” Quill asks.

“Most of them do, but my friends and my group actually pay attention to events, and it’s clear that his charges are totally made up.”

“Your group?”

“I’m heading the organization that’s been protesting for better animal rights,” he explains.

“Oh god, alternate PETA,” Quill mutters.

“What’s that?” Evan asks. “PETA? What’s that stand for?”

“Uh…” Quill says. “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.”

“Hey, that’s actually a good acronym!” Evan says. “I’ve been looking for a better name. We’ve just been calling it ‘the organization protesting for better animal rights’ up until now.”

“Whatever,” Quill says. “What do you want here?”

“So you know that we’ve been protesting the dog intelligence serum right? But then we were thinking - what if we used it to grant intelligence to other animals? What if we gave them the ability to speak on their own behalf? That would make our job so much easier!”

There was a long silence while Quill considered this.

“You gotta admit, it’s a great idea!” says Wexcombe.

“It’s a terrible idea!” Quill shouts. “Firstly, it’s not a fire-and-forget medication, it has to be tuned for every species and monitored closely in order to work right.”

“We have plenty of scientists on our side!” Wexcombe replies. “You could monitor it personally!”

“The personality of the animal inherits from the instincts of the species. It only works on dogs because they already have a complex nervous system, doing it to anything else could just make them insane.”

“Llamas are plenty as smart as dogs, Quill. We’ll start with higher mammals, obviously. We aren’t doing this to fish.”

“Then there’s an ethical standpoint! Some of these animals have short lifespans. Some exist only to feed us, some live in horrible conditions! Do you really think it’s humane to make them able to really feel that?”

“See, here’s the question, Quill,” Evan asks. “Are you rejecting this because you can’t? Or because you’re not willing to acknowledge that you’ll have to start treating them like worthy beings once they can speak for themselves?”

“I’m rejecting it because it’s emotional blackmail! You’re forcing minds into existence just so you can wave them around to threaten leaders with!”

“Animals have always been there! They are suffering as we speak, and all this will do is pull people face to face with the consequences. That’s not blackmail, that’s just effective action!”

What do you say?

A: “Absolutely not. You aren’t using the intelligence procedure on anything.”
B: “You make a good point. We’ll work something out, but under heavy supervision.”
C: “I don’t have the time to micromanage this. I’ll send the data over and you can use it yourself.”
D: “This is lunacy, and in fact as of now I’m going to ask the government to shut you down.”
E: (add on to any) Put the organization and its leaders under surveillance
F: Something else...

Stats list check:

• +1 military
  • +2 scientific
  • +1 informational
  • -1 political
  • BONUS: Scientific designs get one die automatically 4
  • BONUS: D7s are rolled on anything relating to Wenton Celling
  • Fingerprint scanners on military base doors
  • Uplifted dogs
  • Lobotomized child soldiers called “Cherubs”
  • Plans for a shield against Andantesite wormhole disruption, although power-intensive and requiring a lot of Andantesite
  • Large, cracked Andantesite shard, ready to link
  • Radio-frequency Andantesite disruptor - 14.03 hour working time
  • Loading of wormhole onto SFN Pylos planned, to follow Magellan back home
  • Hammerspace parrot
  • Venomous implants for dogs
  • Hammerspace disruption masers, although in control of Padelheb

Plot points to be resolved:
  • Interrogating captured rebels
  • Armen DeMarco
  • Order of the Stick
  • Rebel location
  • Secondborn

Tell me if I missed anything
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:36:03 am by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 21, 2018, 11:06:24 am »

F+E: Try to convince him it's a bad idea. First off, as stated, it will take fairly extensive research, which is, if nothing else, going to be expensive, and take up the time of scientists who could be researching subjects of much more general practicality. Plant in his mind the idea that instead of giving all the animals sapience right now, we could instead have people researching cloning animal tissue and do the intelligence thing once animals don't have to be killed for us to get meat, which would be a win-win for humans and animals rather than giving something to the animals (hypothetically) while at least appearing to be taking something from humans (definitely).
And put them under surveillance, primarily just to know if they try to steal government secrets or try to lynch people or capture laboratories or stuff like that.

EDIT: Also, imply that if animals are to be equal to humans, they will need to be equal in ways that don't just mean equal rights; they'll need to get jobs to pay for food and the like, they will be able to be tried for crimes, and other such things that people - which they will be a part of if they're made sapient - see as a burden rather than a privilege.

EDIT2: Only tangentially related, but we don't have pigs. Or dogs, technically. We have alpacas, llamas, some Antarctica-adapted tame lions, and other such things from South America, the more southern parts of Africa, Antarctica, and maybe some things from Australia (though we've probably done more to try to make sure the things there don't spread).
This is based on Discord discussion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:49:36 am by Glass »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:47 am »

EDIT2: Only tangentially related, but we don't have pigs. Or dogs, technically. We have alpacas, llamas, some Antarctica-adapted tame lions, and other such things from South America, the more southern parts of Africa, Antarctica, and maybe some things from Australia (though we've probably done more to try to make sure the things there don't spread).

Just going to note that our wolves and dogs derive from gray wolves, Canis lupus. I know that's a North Hemisphere species. They had an ancient empire, and they built the Bed.

Don't question it.

EDIT: Or maybe they're maned wolves. I'll have to think about that
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:20:45 pm by blueturtle1134 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 21, 2018, 11:59:58 am »

Just going to note that our wolves and dogs derive from gray wolves, Canis lupus. I know that's a North Hemisphere species.

Don't question it.

EDIT: Or maybe they're maned wolves. I'll have to think about that
...no, I think we determined that they could 100% be tamed lions and it would not only still make sense, it would make more sense in the context of the game than having canine dogs.
You're not getting police dogs out of maned wolves, and you're not getting grey wolves period because they're from the northern hemisphere, as you just said.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 21, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »

Gotten to South Africa in trade from Europe and we got it from there? Technically possible considering large trade routes being a thing
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 21, 2018, 01:50:13 pm »

Additional addendum to previous suggestion: also show the difference before pre-uplift "dogs" and post-uplift "dogs", specifically the way their brains work, in order to prove that yes, there really is a huge difference between the cognitive abilities of the uplifted animals and non-uplifted ones so claiming that uplifting them would "just give them the ability to voice their concerns" is completely wrong.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 21, 2018, 01:51:22 pm »

CE
I don't see any huge probelom the idea can cause but I still don't trust them

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 21, 2018, 01:52:34 pm »

Guys, if we send them the data, you know they'll cherry-pick pieces out of it to claim we're abusing the dogs.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 21, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »

Guys, if we send them the data, you know they'll cherry-pick pieces out of it to claim we're abusing the dogs.

The "data" is just the formulas and procedures to do an uplift. Make of that what you will.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 203