Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282656 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter IV: Just One Day: The Birds and the Bees
« Reply #2925 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:43 am »

So you're saying that if I was just playing around with the dice and rolled a 20, you'd also be demanding something special? Because that's about as valid as that roll is now.
No, you rolled this specifically for the game. It's not like a player at a D&D game just rolling a die and telling the DM "hey, I got a 20, can I keep it for my next roll?"
No, it's like the DM rolling for a specific purpose, getting a 20, and then telling the players "actually, no, ignore that roll, I'm rolling again."

I rolled for the specific purpose of "the players chose C on the option about what to say to Corvis". As that purpose no longer exists, the roll is invalid.

If you choose C on this revote, I'll reroll, because it's not fair to let you know what the roll is before deciding.

To use your D&D analogy, the situation is like this.

PLAYER: I roll to pick the lock.
DM: Okay, you got a 20. You raise your sword and swing it at the bear-
PLAYER: Hey, I wanted to pick the lock, not behead the bear. But now that I know I got a 20, I do want to behead the bear.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: December 27, 2019, 04:45:36 pm »

You forgot the bit where your example DM said "but also you can't pick the lock and so that 20 is not getting used."

Also +1 to CC
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: December 27, 2019, 09:10:13 pm »

You forgot the bit where your example DM said "but also you can't pick the lock and so that 20 is not getting used."

Did I say that?

Maybe my analogy was not perfectly clear. You chose a less risky thing (A), and I rolled for a more risky thing (C) by accident. You may not switch to the more risky thing and keep the 20, because that would be voting while you know what the roll will be. A does not actually require a roll, d20 or otherwise.

20s are not some magical substance that obliges the DM to go with what you want. I recall that ONE time I rolled a 20 on something different and I gave you a reward, but in that case:

• There was no specific result assigned to 20; I was rolling to generate a 1/20 chance and landed on 20
  • I rolled a d20 TWICE because I thought my first roll was wrong and BOTH were 20; that's much more rare.
  • That was a one-shot thing. Even then, you instantly assumed you got a reward for that rather than the more appropriate answer of "That was for a 5% chance and nothing else", but I went along with it because I thought it was funny. I have since learned that I cannot give you nice things, because you will use that to convince yourself that you are allowed to scream at me for things not going perfectly your way in more situations.

This has been a rather amusing study in entitlement, but I'd like to get on with the game now.

Also +1 to CC

I already tiebroke in favor of C on the first one (by random choice) but still, thanks! Writing update now.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: February 16, 2020, 10:57:44 pm »

We're doing a benevolent takeover. Expect an update sometime this evening.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: February 16, 2020, 11:02:52 pm »

I support this takeover, also PTW finally
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:48 pm »

Celling looks at Fansworth, with an inviting look. Fansworth smiles back, and turns toward Captain Corvis.

"Captain Corvis. You're a smart man, and it doesn't even take that much to know that what has happened is wildly out of the ordinary. Under normal circumstances.
These are not normal circumstances."

Corvis's face scrunches up in confusion. "Excuse me? What are you talking about."

Fansworth's smile grows wider. "Allow me to answer your question with a question. Who was the last king of Antarctica?"
"What does that have to do w-"
"What was your grandfather's name? Either of them. Or your grandmother? Mother and father, even? Do you have siblings?"
"Wha- huh-"
"How's the weather right now? What is it? What did you eat for breakfast this morning?"

Celling interjects. "Did you even have breakfast this morning? For that matter, what time is it, what meal should we be having next?"
Fansworth continues. "What color are your clothes? When was the last time an inspection came around? What is today's date?"

Captain Corvis is on the ground now, his head cradled in his hands. He alternates between statue-like stillness and convulsions as Celling and Fansworth continue to bombard him with questions. Until finally:
"Stop! Stop, I- I get it, I get the point! But... why? Why would they do this? What's the point?"

The questions cease; Fansworth extends a hand, and brings Corvis to his feet. His smile remains, but his eyes are sad. "Because they can. Because they enjoy it, at least partly. Because we're not really real to them, not the way they are to each other."

Celling continues. "But also because they still care about us, in their own way. They know we're not real, but they still want the best for us. Even though they know it's harder. They're hardly the best people, but they're trying. Acter knows that's the best we can hope for."

At the mention of Acter, Corvis puts his face back in his hand - this time in a facepalm, rather than an attempt to collect his broken thoughts. "That- why did they even involve that... thing? Figment? Avatar? Whatever. It doesn't even have any reason to be involved here!"

Celling and Fansworth look at each other again, and simultaneously shrug.
"Because they felt like it."
"And it's not like they're a bad god to try to live up to."
"Now, I believe that we have some prisoners to arrest."

Captain Corvis has joined the party.

Jacob and the remaining Goon are brought aboard. With the two of them winded from the impact, and exhausted from staying afloat, arresting them is a trivial task, and they are moved to a pair of cells, with three guards watching the two of them (it is worth noting that all guards on the ship are confirmed loyal to the Republic, and do not have any secret allegiances). So, there is only really one question now.

What is to be done with Jacob, and with the Goon?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:22:22 pm by Glass »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: February 16, 2020, 11:42:28 pm »

Since no vote changes happened, let’s flip a dice between A and C! Alright, CC it is.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

“Captain Corvis,” Celling says. “What is the current date?”

Corvis seems very taken aback by this. “It’s… well… why do you ask?”

“Just tell me, as fast as possible,” Celling requests.

“...March 30, of course,” Corvis answers. “Celling, is there a point to this?”

“What is the maximum speed of this vessel?” Fansworth continued.

“Twenty-three knots. We’ll be traveling much slower to Antarctica, but-”

“Who was the previous King of Antarctica?” Celling asked. “What even are the powers of the king? In what order were the provinces of the Republic added?”

“Is there a point to asking all these questions?” Corvis demanded.

“Just think about them,” Fansworth suggested. “Notice things. Then you’ll see the reason behind all this.”

Corvis stares intently at him, then scowls. “Fine. Fine, I’ll think about it.”

Erin Quill stood on the cliffs, watching as the twisted remnants of the John Philip Sousa sank.

Celling walked up behind him. “Bus is here. Time to go.”

“I’m still not certain how you got here,” Corvis asks, climbing up the hill to his left. Fansworth follows.

“We’ll explain on the way back,” Quill says.

They stood in silence for a moment. “Did we get Jacob?” Quill finally asks.

“Jacob Eldin and one other hostile were captured, yes,” Corvis confirms. “Jacob is injured and possibly paralyzed. The other prisoner is unharmed.”

“After that blast wave?” Fansworth says. “They’re lucky to be alive.”

“These rebels seem to have a streak of getting lucky,” Corvis comments.

Epilogue

“Is this a court-martial?” Erin Quill asks.

The throne room is slightly more occupied than the last time he was here. Enir Nest stands next to the throne of King Karastotz, arms folded carefully behind his back.

Leaning against a pillar to Celling’s left is Baron Adam Carr of Adelaide Island. Obviously not taking this seriously, he sips from a small glass of wine. Nobody else is drinking anything. Not to be underestimated, Quill thinks. He’s definitely here for something.

Baron Andrei Stevenson, of Australia, stands opposite him. Aged and bearded, he contrasts with the young-looking Carr. Known for his sharp questions about the King’s control of the provinces, Stevenson was visiting the capital to discuss matters of government in Australia.

Erin Quill, Mira Kethalyn, Wenton Celling, and Edward Fansworth stand in the center of this group. All eyes are upon them.

“Because if it’s a court-martial, I’m going home,” Quill says. “I’m not actually in the military command structure.”

“For someone not in the command structure, you seem to spend an awful lot of your time commanding,” Stevenson responds.

“I was given control over the pursuit of the Drimoxi rebel cell due to my experience with the tools they were going to use to destroy the Republic,” Quill shoots back.

“Enough,” Karastotz cuts in. “To answer your question, Quill, this is not a court-martial. This is an informal meeting to discuss some questions we have regarding your actions of the past three months.”

“I’ll summarize the events in question, just to make sure everyone’s on the same page,” Nest says. “A group of terrorists, led by a man known as Samael Drimoxi, stole some samples of a mineral known as Andantesite. This mineral allows the manipulation of gravity, by means not yet fully understood. Erin Quill found that the Andantesite could have been used to destabilize the wormhole placed between South America and Antarctica, leading to a… what words did you use, Quill?”

“Instant obliteration of known civilization,” Quill supplied. “Conversion of upwards of 70% of the wormhole’s effective mass into energy. My prior estimates of the ionizing radiation produced may have been on the high side, but it’s definitely enough to wipe out a large part of both continents.”

“So for the last ten years we’ve all been living on a gigantic mass-energy bomb?” Carr interjects.

Quill glared at him. “The wormhole is a “bomb” in the same way that a train is a “ramming weapon”. It’s only dangerous if manipulated very precisely and very maliciously.”

“But a train doesn’t run over an entire city at once,” Stevenson adds. “It seems prudent to move our end. Outside of the city, at least.”

“The entire point of the wormhole link was secure communications,” Erin counters. “Moving it anywhere but our command center completely defeats that.”

“We can discuss this later,” Karastotz notes. “Nest, continue with your report.”

Nest nods. “In any case, Celling joined in soon after, citing a personal interest in the case, namely one Armen DeMarco, who defected to the rebels and had some prior relationship with Celling.”

“You mean he disobeyed orders to chase down his traitorous ex-girlfriend,” Carr summarized. “And got promoted for it.”

Celling glared at him. Nest paused briefly, and continued. “In the course of carrying out this investigation, Celling made contact with a secret group calling themselves the Protinam, which had the ability to see the future. They are led by one David Eborrenial-"

"Who sounds like a massive, gaping security vulnerability bar none, if you ask me," Carr says. "We should be tracking him down."

Karastotz looks at Erin Quill. "Quill, your final reports on David Eborrenial are somewhat ambiguous. What do you know about his whereabouts, and what do you believe are his motivations?"

What do you tell them about David?
A: "I really don't know where he is or if he even survived the meteor impact."
B: "I'm pretty sure he's out there, somewhere, but I'm not sure where."
C: "He was last seen teleporting straight into the blast zone. I think we can safely say we've seen the last of him."

And what about his motivations?
A: Say that you aren't sure.
B: Say that he's probably working for the good of the people and we shouldn't mind him.
C: Say that he's to be treated as an enemy and arrested on sight.
D: Say that you don't know what he wants, but tracking him down so you can ask is probably prudent.

I'm expecting a lot of write-in for this one, as these choices are probably too restrictive.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Trials and Tribunalations
« Reply #2932 on: February 16, 2020, 11:51:32 pm »

1. "There is reason to believe that he is still alive, but the only possible lead we might have regarding his whereabouts is that he may have returned to the old Protinam headquarters, which I doubt, given that the rest of his organization was, to the best of our knowledge - and, I believe, his - exterminated since we first made contact." (Basically B.)

2. "He has good intentions, but so did the rebels. If he is encountered, then he should be treated with caution, and his plans should be verified before any other actions are taken. However, based on my prior interactions with him, I am inclined to believe that we will be able to allow him to continue whatever activities he is conducting in peace." (Basically between D and B, more toward D.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: February 17, 2020, 12:35:01 am »

1. "There is reason to believe that he is still alive, but the only possible lead we might have regarding his whereabouts is that he may have returned to the old Protinam headquarters, which I doubt, given that the rest of his organization was, to the best of our knowledge - and, I believe, his - exterminated since we first made contact." (Basically B.)

2. "He has good intentions, but so did the rebels. If he is encountered, then he should be treated with caution, and his plans should be verified before any other actions are taken. However, based on my prior interactions with him, I am inclined to believe that we will be able to allow him to continue whatever activities he is conducting in peace." (Basically between D and B, more toward D.)
Ahem. I do believe it is that time of year again, and I bestow upon Glass, once more the eternal +1.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: February 17, 2020, 07:06:13 am »

Ahem. I do believe it is that time of year again, and I bestow upon Glass, once more the eternal +1.
+1

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: February 17, 2020, 07:40:05 am »

1. "Went MIA, I have reason to think he is alive and active but it can't be confirmed (A)
2. Whatever glass said
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2936 on: February 17, 2020, 11:59:16 pm »

1. A
2. D

ID cards are distributed and displayed within a few hours of this announcement. These are found to greatly increase the transparency and speed of military-civilian interactions, causing an increase in both public perception and actual efficiency of the regime.

+1 military, +1 political
+1 :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:00:51 am by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:02 pm »

As usual, we are going with Glass’s plan.

Nest looked at Quill. “I’m afraid that as Guardian of the State, I cannot allow him to just ‘continue his activities in peace’,” he said. “Carr is correct. Based on your description of David’s abilities, he is a formidable threat to the security of this Republic - and would be a powerful asset if he was on our side. Teleportation opens up secure communications, espionage, infiltration, rapid intervention… and that’s just the military. Think of the applications to trade. Limited by his ability to carry things through, but we could study him and duplicate the powers, if we had him.”

“Are these wonders going to be firmly under the thumb of the King and his men?” Stevenson asked.

Nest glared at him. “That can be discussed later. I’m making it a priority to get David Eborrenial under our control as soon as feasible. Peacefully, if we can, but by force if we must. Quill,” he looked at Erin, “As our foremost expert on wormhole theory, I am personally assigning you to the task of tracking or at least detecting David’s teleports. If we can’t keep him out of Zenith City, we’ll know when he’s here. Your interferometry research accomplished something similar, look into that. Miss Kethalyn, you’ll be working with Dr. Fallas d’ Florist on replicating the abilities of these Protinam, using the three that we have access to as a guide.” He seemed to think of something, rounding on Fansworth. “Fansworth. Did you ever grab Goonswarm’s serum? The one that created Julia?”

“We left the dock in rather a hurry,” Fansworth said. “Goonswarm is decapitated without the Mittani, however. We might be able to stroll it and take it.”

“Priority message to Montevideo - see that they do so,” Nest responded. “And, Quill - pull the sapience research back together and get me something that can ensure David’s loyalty. I hope I don’t have to use it, but in the worst case…”

“Excuse me, Nest,” Celling says. “But are we declaring war on David Eborrenial?”

Nest pauses for a moment. “I would be more inclined to consider David’s wishes, if he wasn’t already guilty of conspiracy with the Rebels.”

It took Celling a moment to remember what he was talking about. “That? That was him trying to stir things up, being a loose variable, to make observations on the timeline.”

“And if there’s a loose variable stirring things up, I need to know where it is.” Nest responds. “So no. We are not declaring war on David Eborrenial. War is something you declare on countries.”

What does Quill do?

A: Go along with Nest’s orders.
B: Challenge them (Give reasons).
C: Appeal to the King for an overrule
D: Pretend to go along, but have Erin Quill and Fallas d’ Florist sabotage the research
E: As with D, but recruit Mira to the conspiracy as well.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: February 28, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »

B, with following argument. If this fails, we resort to C:

"You cannot unilaterally decide to imprison someone and conduct inhumane experiments on them regardless of the threat they pose to the country. Perhaps, at best, you could place him in precautionary detention. Going beyond that or even just permanently detaining him would turn us into exactly what the Rebels claimed we are. If you would like David to work with us, we have no choice but to go about recruiting him peacefully. As of now he can see the future, has probably reclaimed his fancy Protinam artifact to refine his visions and become better at seeing the future, and is therefore functionally untouchable as far as this plan goes. And since he may very well learn of what you're doing when you start doing it, perhaps you ought not to antagonize him. Doing so would GUARANTEE he'd become an enemy, at least of the people who are trying to turn him into a puppet.

In short, not only are several parts of this "plan" morally reprehensible, it's also simply physically impossible to force him to do anything, or even find him if he doesn't want to be found. And you also don't want to turn him into an enemy when he is most probably not right now.

I am willing to go and try and find him myself and convince him to change his ways or work with us, but can give no guarantees. I will certainly not be party to restraining someone's will and damaging their mind in order to protect a few government secrets from one person."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:41:14 pm by Madman198237 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:02 pm »

B, with following argument. If this fails, we resort to C:

"You cannot unilaterally decide to imprison someone and conduct inhumane experiments on them regardless of the threat they pose to the country. Perhaps, at best, you could place him in precautionary detention. Going beyond that or even just permanently detaining him would turn us into exactly what the Rebels claimed we are. If you would like David to work with us, we have no choice but to go about recruiting him peacefully. As of now he can see the future, has probably reclaimed his fancy Protinam artifact to refine his visions and become better at seeing the future, and is therefore functionally untouchable as far as this plan goes. And since he may very well learn of what you're doing when you start doing it, perhaps you ought not to antagonize him. Doing so would GUARANTEE he'd become an enemy, at least of the people who are trying to turn him into a puppet.

In short, not only are several parts of this "plan" morally reprehensible, it's also simply physically impossible to force him to do anything, or even find him if he doesn't want to be found. And you also don't want to turn him into an enemy when he is most probably not right now.

I am willing to go and try and find him myself and convince him to change his ways or work with us, but can give no guarantees. I will certainly not be party to restraining someone's will and damaging their mind in order to protect a few government secrets from one person."

+1
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 203