Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282763 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Who's afraid of David Eborrenial?
« Reply #3000 on: June 07, 2020, 12:11:35 am »

AB and additionally refer all specific questions, comments, and concerns with regards to the Cherubs to the appropriate project heads

(Post #3000!)

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: July 04, 2020, 01:28:15 pm »

You (and by you I mean Glass and all his friends) have chosen AA.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

“You really didn’t need to release that apology,” Nest tells Quill.

They are standing on the deck of the AMS Edward Elgar, a fast passenger vessel bound for Montevideo. From there it’s a short trip by rail to Andes High Command and the planar rift. It’s a sunny, slightly windy morning.

“Yes we did. I’m not going to wait for someone else to dig up the fact that I rubber-stamped the Cherub project,” Quill replies.

“Nobody was going to dig it up,” Enir Nest insists. “With all the chaos lately, everyone would believe that a couple of scientists would go rogue and create the Cherubs all by themselves.”

“It’s been used for blackmail once already. Keeping secrets about it raises too much a risk of that happening again.”

“In exchange for what? There’s already movements to have you ousted from office.”

Erin Quill gestures dismissively. “I was going to catch some flak for this either way. At least they know the truth.”

“And movements to ban all research into biological augmentation,” Nest presses. “That means no talking dogs, and maybe no resurrection serum.”

“I’m not even sure the resurrection serum works,” Quill says. “Anyways, I don’t think that movement’s going to get anywhere.”

“I hope you’re right,” Nest says. He looks around at the dock and shoreline. “You know, we’ve caused quite a media stir. The Guardian of the State, the Royal Master of Sciences, and the Baron of Australia going to negotiate a treaty with a new world-”

“Wait, Baron Stevenson’s going with us?” Quill asks.

Nest shrugs. “Apparently your suggestion of making a protectorate out of some of his territories was received well. He wants to be part of the negotiations. In fact, I’ll go see if he’s boarded now.”

Erin Quill watches as Nest turns and walks away, then stands alone near the railing.

A few minutes later, he hears a distinctive hiss-whoosh and spins around.

“Nice view, right, Erin?” David says, gesturing at the shoreline. His left hand is still clamped around the Key of Taloc, its red core quiescent in a cage of gray metal. Behind him, the whirlwind of light he just emerged from diminishes and dissipates.

“David, why are you here?” Erin Quill demands.

“Oh wait,” David responds. “Are we at war now? Sorry, I’m kind of out of the loop on that.”

“We’re not,” Quill answers. “Although we might be close. Enir Nest wants you locked up and researched for your teleportation ability.”

“That won’t work,” David says. “I can only teleport because I have the Secondborn’s energy supply. Without an equivalent reserve of power, you wouldn’t be able to do this.”

“Still, he wants you out of the picture, so you’d best lay low for a while.”

“The Protinam have been laying low for hundreds of years, Erin, I can handle myself,” David replies. “By the way, the Pillar of Time - our big beacon thingy - is at these coordinates.” He hands Quill a slip of paper with some numbers written on it. “I’ve deactivated the traps surrounding it, but it’s on a mountain in the middle of nowhere, so nobody’s going to steal it. And I disassembled the cult made by the last guy to use this Key,” he continues, looking at the Key of Taloc.

“But none of that is why I’m here.” David looks sharply at Quill. “You - you, and all of you, said that you wanted to resurrect Anna. Do you still want to? And if so, why and how?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:46:37 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 04, 2020, 02:25:15 pm »

Hello again, David. I’m going to assume that you know who is sending you each message, because I really don’t want to have to preface each one with “This is Glass”, and I especially don’t want everyone else prefacing their messages with “This is Glass” and you not knowing that they’re not me.

Anyway.

Yes, I do still want to resurrect her, because 1. I feel like it’s the right thing to do, 2. I generally prefer to hold to my previous intentions unless I’ve been given a good reason not to (which in this situation I do not feel I have), and 3. Despite what it may seem at times, I do not want you angry at us.

As for how, I believe you’re aware of the other reality, Order of the Stick? Magic is commonplace there, resurrection is commonplace there. While I cannot say for certain that it would be easy, given Anna’s soul is inside the Key, there are even ways around that, given a powerful enough spellcaster, and I believe that we have the resources to acquire the services of one, at least for this.

If I may ask my own question: do you have access to here only, or can you also see our other channels of discussion? I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve answered that before, but I honestly don’t remember.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 04, 2020, 02:39:06 pm »

Lemme just answer some questions ahead of time: He cannot see any channel of communication with the players. He can't see this forum, he can't see the Discord or any other location where you might discuss this. And you're not sending him mail, you're voting on what Erin Quill is going to say. (Although "let Erin Quill read aloud messages from each of the players" is a possible vote).
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3004 on: July 04, 2020, 07:10:38 pm »

This is Glass Ceiling, Glass Celling's distant cousin. We want to resurrect Anna because we keep our word and know of a place where this can be arranged with fewer side-effects than our technology alone can accomplish regardless of inconsequential things like brain damage and severed limbs. We need only diamonds and money to put this plan into action and thus wrap up a near-abandoned plot thread/snarl

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: July 04, 2020, 07:15:22 pm »

((Brain damage and severed limbs are far from inconsequential))

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3006 on: July 04, 2020, 07:20:11 pm »

((Brain damage and severed limbs are far from inconsequential))
Not in D&D!
Quote from: 3.5e SRD
The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 04, 2020, 09:25:22 pm »

Basically, the point here is that we have access to an alternate reality that operates on a very different set of rules, and while we are as-yet uncertain as to whether we will be able to apply them - this would be the first time we would have the necessity to try - I believe that I can say with certainty that our chances of success are far greater there than here.

I have, additionally, occasionally thought of an additional alternative, though it is not one that I can say I have any confidence in; it is much more theoretical, and dependent on a great deal of luck regarding the properties of the Key. Seeing as the Key contains Anna's soul - at least, as best as I understand the situation - it may, may, be possible to construct an artificial, most likely mechanical, body set up to house the Key such that she can control it from within.

Honestly, the latter proposition is much more of a thought experiment, and would require much more study of the Key before we might even consider being able to follow through with it. I am, however, confident that the former plan could be made to work.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 04, 2020, 09:29:00 pm »

((Because going to an alternate reality is easier than building a body? Why?))

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:06 pm »

The hard part is not the body, the hard part is getting it to somehow interface with the Key such that Anna's consciousness is not only housed in it, but can control it as one may control the body they were born in.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 04, 2020, 09:35:30 pm »

The hard part is not the body, the hard part is getting it to somehow interface with the Key such that Anna's consciousness is not only housed in it, but can control it as one may control the body they were born in.
Interesting. Do we know what material(s) the key is made of? Maybe if the body is made of matching materials as the key, and the key could be merged with the body, and it being the same material...wait, no, that might not work if the material of the key is keeping her soul dormant. How did she get trapped in the key in the first place?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 04, 2020, 09:40:08 pm »

Interesting. Do we know what material(s) the key is made of? Maybe if the body is made of matching materials as the key, and the key could be merged with the body, and it being the same material...wait, no, that might not work if the material of the key is keeping her soul dormant. How did she get trapped in the key in the first place?
She got trapped inside because she gave up her soul to it so that it would be repaired - for use against the Secondborn, if my recollection serves me correctly (which it very well may not). I do not believe we know what material it is made of.
And yes, how much influence her soul has over the ring is very much the question, as is whether or not she is even conscious inside it.

There are far fewer unanswered questions with the OotS-verse mechanics for resurrection, which is why we should really be pursuing that path first.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 04, 2020, 09:45:48 pm »

How do we know our current character knows of another universe? Is this the one who found a fourth wall break that summoned a meteor? I came in late, but I do remember the ship

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 04, 2020, 09:48:31 pm »

How do we know our current character knows of another universe? Is this the one who found a fourth wall break that summoned a meteor? I came in late, but I do remember the ship

Yep, both Erin Quill (our character) and David Eborrenial (person you are talking to) have seen the fourth wall break, and thus know about the other universe.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:35 pm »

Yep, both Erin Quill (our character) and David Eborrenial (person you are talking to) have seen the fourth wall break, and thus know about the other universe.
they might know of our universe, but thst doesn’t mean they know of whatever universe Glass is talking about
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203