Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 287834 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2017, 10:10:52 pm »

OOC; we are fairly high ranking, right?
We literally decide basically every important thing. Yes we're high-ranking.

Well, OOC you do. Usually you are Erin Quill, who's been put in charge of this entire operation as it's his wormhole. But right now you're just some mook.

OOC fuck, iggnore what i was trying to say then. Would Quill be totaly fine with some mook who now want to learn more about impersonating him to gain mkore information from a vital prisoner ??? Can we send him a telegraph requesting permission or something ??? Can we call him here ???

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »

OOC; we are fairly high ranking, right?
We literally decide basically every important thing. Yes we're high-ranking.

Well, OOC you do. Usually you are Erin Quill, who's been put in charge of this entire operation as it's his wormhole. But right now you're just some mook.

OOC fuck, iggnore what i was trying to say then. Would Quill be totaly fine with some mook who now want to learn more about impersonating him to gain mkore information from a vital prisoner ??? Can we send him a telegraph requesting permission or something ??? Can we call him here ???

Like I said... right now you're a high-ranking officer coming down from HQ to lean on the prisoner. Erin Quill is out of contact but is by no means the sole head of this operation. Feel free to promise anything you like.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 08, 2017, 01:06:52 pm »

May as well post that Celling story I've been hyping for a while now.

Jacob Eldin steps off the boat first, descending off a metal ramp onto the white sandy beach. Armen DeMarco follows suit soon enough.

Wenton Celling approaches from the path cut into the neighboring woods, emerging from the underbrush as he rounds a turn. He holds his hands up to show that he is unarmed.

“Who the hell are you?” shouts Jacob.

“My name’s Lieutenant Wenton Celling. I declined to fire on your stolen vessel when I had the chance. If not for me, you and all the hostages would be dead.”

“So you’re here to bargain them out, I assume,” Eldin scoffed.

“That’s right. I get that you don’t like the Southern Republic - to be frank, I don’t care much for that festival of fools myself. But those sailors are innocent, Eldin. They didn’t sign up for this.”

Eldin laughed. “They signed up with the Republic.”

“They signed up to take an aging ship carrying a high-priority cargo across the Drake Passage. They didn’t sign up to be gagged and threatened and dragged on a week-long boat trip with a traitor and a rebel. They had no part in getting you captured.”

Armen was getting bored with all this, so she looked around. For some reason she kept focusing on the dunes. Something’s not right… she felt. An odd chill ran down her spine.

It was at that moment that Erin Quill stepped out from behind a dune, wielding a crossbow. Before there was time to react he raised it up to his shoulder, put his finger on the trigger, and-

Captain Celling’s ship, two hours prior. Conversation with Erin Quill over the radio.

“We have limited but workable knowledge about forces that seem to permeate every event in our universe and that appear to knowingly hold sway over the very essence of the reality that we experience. We thus focus on a particular possible turn of events and manipulate it to our ends.”

Erin Quill delivered this long spiel through the radio to Wenton Celling while he was cruising towards the estimated landing site of Jacob Eldin. Celling summarized it in a more succinct way.
“We’re going to use a weaponized cliche.”

“Exactly,” Quill answered. “A particular possible event. A main character is about to be shot and a supporting character leaps in front of the projectile. Events in this universe will tend to include this event if we properly manipulate the ones before and after it.”

Armen DeMarco hit the ground with a thud, a red splotch of blood forming on her shirt. She cried out in pain, the shaft of the arrow sticking up out from her chest.

Jacob Eldin saw Quill’s bolt drive toward its mark, saw Armen realize it and push him down, watched as she took the arrow that was meant for him. Watched as it hit her squarely in the heart, watched as she fell motionless onto the sand.

Eldin jumped up, screamed, and knelt down toward her face. “Please don’t die, please don’t-” Her jaw was already slack, her features distorted with pain.

Jacob suddenly whirled as if possessed toward Celling, shakily aiming his pistol at his head.

“Notice. She needs to notice. She needs to realize something’s not right. What do you remember about Ensign DeMarco?”

Celling thought for a moment. “Argentinien? I knew her when I was little.”

Erin Quill paused thoughtfully. “Your relationship in your younger days?”

Celling considered his options for a moment before answering, “We dated.”

Quill sat bolt upright at this. “And you parted in what way?”

“She left me at the end of high school. We went to different universities. Never saw her again until the Eldin mission.”

“Yes, yes, that would be… predictable. Did you part on amicable terms by any chance?”

“No. No, sir.”

“Alright then. So what doesn’t she like?”

“Being ignored,” Celling answered immediately. “She wants her opinion known.”

“Ah. And what will she happen to look at, if she feels slighted by, say, you totally not mentioning her during your conversation?”

Celling thought about this too. “She grew up near the beach. She’ll look at the sand dunes. But how can you be sure she’ll look just as you stand up?”

“Don’t worry!” Erin Quill answered. “A plot always works.”

“You did this,” Jacob snarled. “You lying, sniveling-”

“Calm down, Jacob, he had nothing to do with it. It was me,” boomed Erin Quill’s voice from across the dune. He was out of cover now, striding rapidly toward the fugitive, cloak flapping in the wind. Jacob twitched spasmodically, jerking his head to face Quill before swiveling around to point the gun at him.

“You killed her.”

“Yes, I did,” Quill answered, his voice maddening in its evenness.

Behind Jacob, Armen choked and took her last breath before everything went dark.

“Please be assured, she won’t actually die,” Quill reassured Eldin.

“Uhh, alright,” he answered. “So why are we going to all this trouble in order to make her look dead?”

“The entire object of this was to capture Armen. We have to set everything up in a way that makes it look like she should be dead. Trick the plot into doing what we want.”

Celling considered that. “And just what are you going to use to get this done?”

“Chemistry,” came the answer. “For a couple of years now I've been studying the toxic creatures of Brazil. We'll combine a bee sting extract with, say, a paralytic dart frog neurotoxin..”

“OK, wait, what?” said Celling, eager to get to the good part.

“We shoot her with a tranquilizer dart, only it hurts like hell too,” Quill concluded. “The head will be hollow and have an explosive charge inside to both drive the dart in and destroy the head, spraying red liquid everywhere. It’ll be pointed enough to make an actual wound, so there will be believable blood. She thinks she’s dead, Jacob Eldin thinks she’s dead, she’s not dead.

“You killed her,” Eldin repeated again. “You had this guy -” he once again jerked his hand around to aim at Eldin - “You had him distract me so you could shoot me.” His face contorted into a savage, insane smile. “And who cares who got in the way, eh?”

“Drop your weapon!” came several voices from the top of the nearest hill. Several policemen came running down the hill. “We have you surrounded. Come with your hands up and nobody needs to get hurt.”

Eldin glanced up at the men charging at him, then sprung away from Celling and Quill and ran back to the boat. As he escaped, Quill walked briskly up to Armen’s side and took her pulse. He whispered, “Still alive,” to Celling before jumping up and waving his arms at Jacob’s rapidly receding boat.

“I win!” he shouted. He proceeded to turn and duck as a bullet inevitably soared over his head. He leaped up as soon as it passed. “Stop wasting ammo!” he shouted at Jacob as he left. Jacob fired another shot, but was long out of range at this point.

Several of the soldiers dragged Armen away on a stretcher. “And the hostages?” Quill asked of the police commander.

“We got them off safely. As you suspected, they left the back door to the boat unguarded. They’re unharmed.”

“So. See, Celling? I win.”

Celling tapped his foot. “Eldin is still out there.”

Erin Quill replied, “I told you, the plot armor won’t allow us to capture or even harm him right now. He’s too important to be lost halfway through the rising action. What we can do is to make the plot pay for every second he lives.” He caught sight of Celling’s worried expression and said, “He’s not that dangerous anymore. He’s friendless and alone - we caught the grandfather and the kid as well. Come on, let’s get all these people back to base.”
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 08:12:23 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 08, 2017, 01:27:57 pm »

“He’s not that dangerous anymore. He’s friendless and alone...”
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Goddamnit Erin I trusted you to not say stupid stuff like this.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 08, 2017, 02:23:11 pm »

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

DAMN ERIN

good work

BUT DAMN

We could make him somehow desire to hurt innocent people, make him stop being the hero and put the plot armor gradually desintegrate as people would lose interest of who really wins the war, take the battle to a level of "anti-hero vs the Anti-villian"

We could work along the lines of "Who is the hero? The ones that make anything to overthrow a strong government or the agents of said government that isn't that bad that are doing anything to keep order and stability against separatists that took peoples as hostages and have no proof that they are going to work for the people"

Look, one of the motivations of badass grandpa is because he is descendant  of the last Brazilian empire's rulers. we can point it as selfish somehow.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:43 pm »

Ditto, but as long as he still has hope of rescuing his buddies we need not worry too much..if he loses that though...things could get dicey! We need to make sure he doesnt think he has nothing left to lose so that he doesn't start mowing people down left and right.

On another note, will it be possible to make further upgrade to our reliable cyber doggos, After alll their hard work they deserve some kind of rewar right, if not upgrades at least a statue commemorating''The Brave Dogs of The Republic'' or similiar?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 08, 2017, 02:40:02 pm »

"I was just trying to reassure Celling. We both know that until this plot-armored fool is brought to justice, nobody is safe"

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 08, 2017, 05:41:37 pm »

Replies to comments:

On another note, will it be possible to make further upgrade to our reliable cyber doggos, After alll their hard work they deserve some kind of rewar right, if not upgrades at least a statue commemorating''The Brave Dogs of The Republic'' or similiar?

We have been gradually toning up their intellectual capabilities. We are by now fairly certain that their analytic capabilities are equivalent to those of our human soldiers - and their sense of direction and smell much better. Of course, their extreme loyalty to each other and to the Republic has been left unchanged.

If you want any specific physical upgrade, please comment.

Look, one of the motivations of badass grandpa is because he is descendant  of the last Brazilian empire's rulers. we can point it as selfish somehow.

That was in fact something I thought up, but I don't remember where I told you. Where did I tell you?

Erin Quill strides into the interrogation rooms. The officer in charge told him, “Glad you could come, Quill. Did you get that rebel?”

“Yup.”

“We got two.”

“So I heard,” replied Quill. “I assume you took my advice and reported them as dead rather than captured.”

“We did.”

“Tried brainwashing them yet?”

“I thought you also told us that brainwashing was impossible?”

“No, I told you that there was no such thing as a mind reading machine. It’s perfectly possible to alter the mental state of the prisoners by various means.”

“Oh… ok.”

“Alright. In my lab at Brazil High Command there are a bunch of jars with poison dart frogs in them. Have someone find the one with green skin and yellow empty spots.”

“Yeah…”

“Bring him here. He does brainwashings. I have to talk to Armen once she wakes up.”

Erin Quill explaining what he’s doing.

“This first compound is just a serum of truth. It disables the parts of the brain required to maintain a lie. They will only be able to give information that they themselves believe is true. It’s combined with a healthy dose of oxytocin-like neurotransmitters to make the subject more cooperative, but they can still make lies of omission if they want to.”

Who do we question first:
A: Sam Drimoxi (Old guy)
B: Andrew Calvin (Kid)

And what do we ask them?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

If you want any specific physical upgrade, please comment.
Cheetah speed or a venomous bite. Preferably both.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:12 am »

The ability to actually speak, or at least mimic humanlike sounds with their own mouths, that way they can give us actual reports, perhaps giving them voiceboxes like that of a lyrebird would work. Last I checked they are mute and only play pre recorded audio snippet taunts, I want them toactually be able to taunt the rebels meaningfully, might feak them out a little more. Plus if they have the ability to mimick other sounds they could say create the noise of an explosion in one place to distract the rebs, etc.
Also Adrew Calvin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:51:37 am by Paxiecrunchle »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 09, 2017, 11:01:16 am »

You told me here.

The captive's name is Jacob Edlin. He gives us the names of all the major players:

• Jacob Edlin, himself. Reluctantly there, slightly shortish, moved from Antarctica a few years ago. Fell into this entire thing when he followed Anna to a meeting, after which he got dragged to the governor's office on pain of death.
  • Anna Drimoxi, blond, kinda short, who got dragged into all this by her father around 2 years ago, and who both boys in La Group have a not-so-subtle crush on.
  • Samael "Sam" Drimoxi, your textbook older gentleman and political fanatic, claims (with some validity) to be descended from the original rulers of Alternate Brazil, been covertly planning this for over 20 years, is really mad at the government for various reasons.
  • Andrew "A. C." Calvin, popular, tall, wears his hair in a ridiculous slick, slightly cruel and callous, joined the rebellion a few months ago for various political reasons of his own.

He also goes ahead and confirms that they know about the properties of Andantesite, and are planning to destabilize the wormhole in the capital with it.

Nice things, IF we have to make the brainwashed heroes kill each other we can make duels as "grandpa vs jacob" as he will have a hard time wanting to kill the man he wanted to be his father-in-law (I don't know if this is the right word for the wife's father) "hey... i killed your daddy, can we still date?"

Or unless there is a non-monogamous culture in antartica we could make the two boys fight "lover vs lover" make the brainwashed guy say something about "hey, so much we did to end up with the government, I married her now, how you feel?" (Note: Don't mention Anna's name, nor let him hear any real sound as Fallacy told")

The ability to actually speak, or at least mimic humanlike sounds with their own mouths, that way they can give us actual reports, perhaps giving them voiceboxes like that of a lyrebird would work. Last I checked they are mute and only play pre recorded audio snippet taunts, I want them toactually be able to taunt the rebels meaningfully, might feak them out a little more. Plus if they have the ability to mimick other sounds they could say create the noise of an explosion in one place to distract the rebs, etc.
Also Adrew Calvin

inb4: make all the dogs sound like the ones the protagonist failed to destabilize his emotions and lure to a trap, or talk on behalf of our brainwashed rebels to make he think that he is doing services for the elder man on the phone but is just losing time and putting himself in risk of dying
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 10, 2017, 08:27:39 am »

You told me here.

<snippety snip>

Nice things, IF we have to make the brainwashed heroes kill each other we can make duels as "grandpa vs jacob" as he will have a hard time wanting to kill the man he wanted to be his father-in-law (I don't know if this is the right word for the wife's father) "hey... i killed your daddy, can we still date?"

Or unless there is a non-monogamous culture in antartica we could make the two boys fight "lover vs lover" make the brainwashed guy say something about "hey, so much we did to end up with the government, I married her now, how you feel?" (Note: Don't mention Anna's name, nor let him hear any real sound as Fallacy told")

Nice one! You actually paid attention to the details!

Polygamy is allowed by the Republic but not really practiced. Alternate Brazil has serious social stigma attached to it.

Also, good suggestions FallacyOfUrist. I actually thought they were copy-pasted from somewhere, but no, a quick google search reveals that they're completely original!

Augmentations:

Spoiler: Dice (click to show/hide)

A quick look at the structure of a dog’s leg reveals that no, we can’t make them drastically faster without totally ruining their bone structure. Everything that makes up a dog revolves around a particular balance of speed, endurance, and efficiency, and this balance cannot be tampered with.

The venomous bite has more success. While directly altering the jaw structure of dogs proves fruitless, we have been able to implant needles to inject drugs upon bite. The dogs of course must be careful to not set them off by accident, and they must be reloaded with venom after each use. On the plus side, Quill can customize the substance used to anywhere on the sliding scale between “painfully stun” and “kill”.

And as for putting lyrebird vocal cords on dogs?

No.

No.

Just no.

Firstly, the dogs themselves really aren't keen on the thought. Secondly, birds get their vocal abilities from their brains, not their throats - and copying a neural network is even farther beyond our level of tech. Thirdly, grafting lyrebird vocal cords into a dog is easier said than done. If you haven't noticed, birds are a lot smaller than dogs. Their genomes and blood types are totally incompatible.

Some effort has been made to adapt canine vocal chords to match the human voice, but we simply don't yet have the genetic fine control to make it work. It was a miracle that we ever uplifted dogs. We just fed them a hormonal combination meant to make their brains responsive to bionic implants, they managed to ascend to sentience on their own.

As for tactical data, it turns out that it's much easier to teach people to speak Dog than to teach dogs to speak People. The canine language, already contains a wide variety of terms for all sorts of tactical situations. Position, morale, numbers, tactics… these are all encoded within dog barks. The grammar is considerably more condensed, and messages tend to be terse with no auxiliary information. Officers regularly handling dogs have begun learning what each bark means so they can interpret reports in the natural language of their soldiers. Interestingly enough, Canine doesn't have a word for turning on one's superiors. Wolves, and by extension dogs, are built around the principles of authority and hierarchy, kinship and loyalty.

Erin Quill concluded that it would actually be easier to teach lyrebirds to think than to modify  dogs to speak. He gets to work on breeding some as translators between dogs and humans, with the added benefit of using them to spy on rebels, a la Jabberjays.

Then this phone call comes in:

Government of the Republic, I have undeniable evidence of several of your secret projects, such as the Cherubs, lobotomized and modified child soldiers. It would surely damage your reputation if this information was leaked to several major news sources. The people would be outraged at what you have done to innocent children to turn them into weapons. I expect 100 million in cash to be behind the Acme factory on Elm street within 24 hours.

What do you do?
A: Trace the call and try to figure out where he is!
B: Make ready to pay up
C: Pay up, but stake out the site and trap him
D: Ignore him - nobody will believe the stories anyway.
E: Something more specific...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:29:26 am by blueturtle1134 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 10, 2017, 10:06:11 am »

Government of the Republic, I have undeniable evidence of several of your secret projects, such as the Cherubs, lobotomized and modified child soldiers. It would surely damage your reputation if this information was leaked to several major news sources. The people would be outraged at what you have done to innocent children to turn them into weapons. I expect 100 million in cash to be behind the Acme factory on Elm street within 24 hours.
Well, that ain't good.

What do you do?

A: Good idea, but if we fail, we're in for hurt.
B: There's no guarantee that he won't blackmail us with this again if we do pay up.
C: If I was this guy, I would send a conspirator or minion to the site to get the money instead of going myself.
D: Recipe for disaster.

So E. A combination plan.

E:
1. Work on tracing the call. If this fails,
2. Prepare the money and deliver it to the location. Then 3.
3. When the bloke shows up to take the money, be ready. Don't move against him, but do use our tracking dogs to follow the man back to his lair, where any co-conspirators he has will be located.
4. Regardless of whether we do 1 through 3, prepare to minimize the damage. Produce false counter evidence to be released in the event that this man releases the evidence of our Cherub project. It's possible that the parents of the children we abducted will try to speak up on this issue... if that proves to be the case, 5.
5. Abduct any parents of Cherubs that try to speak up on this issue, use the Cherubification process on them. They will be called Angels.
6. Regardless of whether we do 1 through 5, if we manage to capture this blackmailer after he releases the information, we will use our brainwashing frog on him. He will then be made to recant the data he released about the Cherub project. He was, after all "blackmailed by rebels to slander the glorious Republic", and "under our protection, he agreed to testify against them".
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 10, 2017, 11:03:16 am »

Well, that ain't good.

What do you do?

A: Good idea, but if we fail, we're in for hurt.
B: There's no guarantee that he won't blackmail us with this again if we do pay up.
C: If I was this guy, I would send a conspirator or minion to the site to get the money instead of going myself.
D: Recipe for disaster.

So E. A combination plan.

E:
1. Work on tracing the call. If this fails,
2. Prepare the money and deliver it to the location. Then 3.
3. When the bloke shows up to take the money, be ready. Don't move against him, but do use our tracking dogs to follow the man back to his lair, where any co-conspirators he has will be located.
4. Regardless of whether we do 1 through 3, prepare to minimize the damage. Produce false counter evidence to be released in the event that this man releases the evidence of our Cherub project. It's possible that the parents of the children we abducted will try to speak up on this issue... if that proves to be the case, 5.
5. Abduct any parents of Cherubs that try to speak up on this issue, use the Cherubification process on them. They will be called Angels.
6. Regardless of whether we do 1 through 5, if we manage to capture this blackmailer after he releases the information, we will use our brainwashing frog on him. He will then be made to recant the data he released about the Cherub project. He was, after all "blackmailed by rebels to slander the glorious Republic", and "under our protection, he agreed to testify against them".
Makes sense to me. +1.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 10, 2017, 12:35:24 pm »

D; He's probably bluffing about the undeniable bit. Catch him when he tries to leak.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 203