Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282720 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter II: Ice and Fire
« Reply #975 on: December 25, 2017, 05:32:53 pm »

I say B. They either know we're bringing one or know we're not. If they're secretly rebels, does it actually matter either way?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 25, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »

Get info first, safety (and insanity) comes from knowledge, see what archives/news there is about this place or local religions, do your homework before going unarmed, remember the fourth wall rules

It doesn't matter, our bullets won't hit the heroes anyway.  either they're badder than us and we will be in huge advantage giving a big ninjutsu power to Celling because it will be one (well trained officer from the army) against a bigger number of mooks, or they will be heroes/the same as us (where they probably won't do nothing too harsh) and we will still have possibility to prepare a rescue team in case we stop reporting that we are safe and sound

(in the end, it's a B with more stuff again,)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 25, 2017, 10:35:53 pm »

Collect Information will be resolved before you choose. B has been selected.

“I’ll go unarmed,” Celling says. “But not blind. I’ll go ahead and collect any relevant information-”

“Way ahead of you, Wenton,” Merrowitz interjects. “I’ve already went and gotten all references to this area in local religious texts and history and such.”

“And?” Celling asks.

“Nothing,” Merrowitz answers.

There is a pause.

“Nothing?” Celling asks.

“There are a few allusions to a temple built on that site,” Merrowitz explains, “but that’s long ago. And I mean long, long ago. Predating first contact with Antarctica, predating King Robert and the Monarchy, even before the Wall and the harnessing of Andantesite.”

“And in all this time-”

“In all this time, there’ve been no report of anyone telling the future. Beyond the normal gloom-and-doom charlatans, that is. Those precogs are either really good at hiding or totally fictional.”

Still wanna proceed?
A: Yes
B: No

(prices are as original)
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 26, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »

A why not? It will be a nice episode
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2017, 01:53:46 pm »

+1. Cue magic and dudes from alternate dimensions.
Who wants to bet that there's Apokalipsi involved here?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:38 am »

B, seems like our only chance to learn something/ kill of ceiling either of which might start a new plotline, I spect, and neither of which lose us influence which seems way more important than sanity to me.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:37 am »

B, seems like our only chance to learn something/ kill of ceiling either of which might start a new plotline, I spect, and neither of which lose us influence which seems way more important than sanity to me.
I think you mean A. Right now, A is "go on the trip" and B is "don't go on the trip".

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 27, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »

+1. Cue magic and dudes from alternate dimensions.
Who wants to bet that there's Apokalipsi involved here?

Well, you just lost your bet.

B has been selected. Cost of the option: SAN -3

Five hours later…

Celling jumped off his llama, pulled out his map and compass, and looked at them for a second.

“Yep… this must be the place.”

He put away the map and turned his attention to the ornate structure across the clearing from him. It was tall and cathedral-like, draped in red and gold, constructed symmetrically with wings and buttresses converging into a central, five-pointed tower.

He stepped up to the closest entrance - a black wood door with a copper knob - and knocked.

The door was answered almost immediately by a boy in a t-shirt and jeans. He looked Brazilian, and Celling figured that he was 17 at the most.

“Uh… hello. You live here?” Celling asked.

“Yeah,” the youth replied. He held out his hand. “I’m David Eborrenial. Nice to meet you. And you are?”

Celling shook his hand. “Wenton Celling, Captain.”

“Ah,” David responded, relaxing slightly.

“Ah indeed. You’re the guy who sent that note, right?”

“Yes,” David cheerfully replied. “I’m the leader of the Protinam, or Visionaries, a group dedicated to seeing and interpreting the future. Please step in.” He held the door open behind him.

Celling cautiously stepped in. The inside of the structure was a hallway, with various rooms to either side. “You’re not really what I expected from-”

“I know. You expected a bearded old wise man. That would be my father. He’s dead. I inherited this role two months ago.”

“So what, you going to tell me my future?”

David turned around and stared at him. “No. No. No, no, no, no. The first thing you’re going to learn is that Visionary powers aren’t a fire and forget thing. You can’t just look at the future-”

“Isn’t that kinda the WHOLE POINT of precognition?” Celling asked.

“Well, see, our powers are much more limited,” David calmly explained. “Imagine the possible futures of the world as a tree, with branches and subbranches splitting off at particular points, where one decision can make a lasting impact on the fate of the world.”

“O…kay” Celling answered.

“So I, and my colleagues, can see the results of certain decisions that might happen in the future, along one of those branches. But - and here’s the catch - we don’t know which branch we’re living in right now.”

“What?”

“We can see cause and effect in possible futures, but we don’t know which future we’re heading towards right now. This, incidentally, is why we make prophecies and give pointless quests to heroes. It’s experiment. By pushing the world slightly, and seeing how it reacts, we improve the resolution of the rest of our predictions through process of elimination.”

“Wait wait wait. What are you saying?”

David sighed. “Alright, I’ll give you an example. Right now we can see 527 possible timelines. All these are possible, and diverged from each other around 3 weeks ago, at a point we call the Trailing Point of Convergence. I can’t predict the future. I can predict small fractions of 527 slightly different futures. And I have no idea which one we’re barreling down.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Now, I go ahead and pick out a single decision - namely, my decision to ask you to come unarmed. Now, I can see right now that it’s possible this convinces you to come unarmed. Or to bring a weapon, just in case. Or to send a firing squad after me. I’m predicting that any of these are possible futures. I can see that they exist in particular timelines. But, as I’ve said, I have no clue which timeline is actually ours and which are just distractions. They all look real, but that’s only because they diverged at some point in the recent past. So in reality, I have no barking clue what’s going to happen if I send you that note. So what do I do?” He leaned back against a nearby wall. “I go ahead and send it, of course.”

“W-what?”

“I send you the note. I send it as an experiment, a trial balloon. See, if you come unarmed, that narrows it down to the 227 or so timelines that include that result. If you come armed, I pick a different set of 145. If you send soldiers after me, there’s 98 set aside for that. So by just observing the result I greatly increase the chances of getting the right timeline. The note thing resolves quickly, within the span of a few days, so I can use the results to guide other decisions. Of course, by that time, the plausible timelines will have split further, so it’s a never ending battle.”

David turned away and continued to walk. “Protinam powers work by sacrificing mundane decisions to buy information on important ones. We trick people into stupid and unnecessary acts in order to map out possible timelines in the event of a truly critical event. Heroes and adventurers are especially easy to use as they tend to cause effects with great force but tend to not question oracles at all. By the way, did you actually come unarmed?”

Celling raised his hands and turned his pockets inside out. “Completely.”

“Huh,” said David. “I’ll take that. It’s not as much of a reduction as you might think, as most of the unlikely timelines have already been pruned at this point, but I’ll take it. Thanks for your help.”

“But wait, I went through a complicated pro/con evaluation to decide that,” Celling protested. “I even consulted with beings not necessarily of our level of reality. How do you compress that into a simple probability.”

“All factored in, bud, all factored in.” David tapped his head. “Precognition is so fun.”

“Oh.”

David continued walking and explaining. “Of course, for all this to work, we have to prevent anyone else from learning of our true nature, as even the slightest doubt in our abilities would almost instantly bring further efforts to a screeching halt. We have to make everyone else believe that there is truth in every word we say in order to observe their reactions like rats in a box. We have to grit our teeth and let innumerable horrors go by, lie to the faces of hundreds of well-meaning folk, just in order to maintain vigilance against far greater threats. I’m not saying it’s easy, but nobody regrets it. We have to do our part to keep the world safe for mankind. Ever so occasionally, it pays off.”

“Uh, David?” Celling asked. “If secrecy’s such a big thing with you, then why are you telling me all this?”

“Because I feel it’s time for action,” David answered. “And because, frankly, I really admire what you’ve done with the place. The Southern Republic - cough - Empire has finally brought some semblance of law and order to Brazil. In fact, at last count, if the Republic falls then there’s at least a 4% chance that the world goes down with it. And it’s under threat. Sending that note was my first official act, and I did it because the time for sitting on our hands and collecting data is over. We have the resolution to make an Intervention and we have a seriously dangerous chain of events that needs preventing. This is an exceptional event, make no mistake. We intervene maybe once a decade at the most. And only to prevent major catastrophe, country-wide destabilization, or widespread death, because as I’ve said, the little stuff must be let slide. We have a pretty good track record, but the consequences for screwing up are incredibly dire. We’ve prevented seven holocausts, I think, and caused two. That’s a net gain. Like I said, nobody regrets it. We’re winning.”

“So, what world-ending event are you going to warn me of then?” Celling asked.

David sighed. “Well, for starters, in three days a deadly bioweapon will be unleashed upon Brazil and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.”

“WHAT?!?!?!”

Before we continue, is there anything The Readers would like to ask David? Requests to view the future accepted.

This is my attempt at creating a good theory in which oracles tend to request stuff like Twenty Bear Asses. That mundane and useless tasks are actually just what they need to make their powers work. If there’s anything about Protinam powers you didn’t get, then just ask.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 27, 2017, 09:16:11 pm »

That system actually makes a lot of sense. I approve.

That said, goddamnit.

Is this kid absolutely certain that every single timeline that hasn't been eliminated has the bioweapon attack? If he is, then what does he recommend for minimizing the damage? If not, can he tell us what signs might prove whether or not we're in that timeline?

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 27, 2017, 09:28:52 pm »

This system makes sense

There is not a stupid way to force the creation of a possibility of another timeline? Making key people be in the right place on the right time?

Okay, no way to prevent? we step back into minimizing damage, and ask WHO unleashed bio weapon, WHY he did it, and where is the possible places that he could go for we to catch him. If it's little finger WHERE we can find undeniable proofs of his evil-doings?

So you could make an action just to reduce the number of branches possible, and tell us which action would give us the best outcome in general?

Novice english wordsmith

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 27, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »

“...are you kidding me?” asked Celling.

“I’m going to assume that was a rhetorical question, because I am totally, deadly serious on this.”

“You are sure. You’re completely, absolutely sure-”

“That there’s no way to prevent this? Yes. Of the 78 and counting timelines not yet eliminated, not a single one of them has even the possibility of averting this thing. Stop chewing me out about it. I’ve chewed myself out about it enough. It was staring me in the face and I missed it. It was staring all of us in the face and we missed it. There’s a min and max time we can look into the future, but to be honest, we should have seen this one coming. No, correct that, *I* should have seen this one coming. It was a blip on the radar for a long, looooong time, but I was playing it too conservatively and by the time we’d narrowed that blip and proved it was too late, it was, well, too late. I’m not even sure it’s a bioweapon. All I know is that it originates in Santiago and has 0% lethality for Antarcticans and 100% lethality for Native Brazilians. So I’m assuming it’s a genocidal bioweapon.”

“Can’t you make another timeline with our help?”

“Hey,” David said, “Don’t talk about things you don’t know. I’ve been doing this all my life. If there was a way to force another timeline, I’d have found it. But the timelines are defined by certain events that have the potential to permanently reshape the world. And if one of these options was open to you - well, it would have been factored in. Precognitives, remember?”

“Alright, then,” Celling continued, “how about minimizing the damage?”

“That I can do,” David replied. “I’ll send you back with a list of people that have to be quarantined because they have the potential for spreading the plague fast and early. I’ll also help you determine the origin of the plague and finding the perpetrators of this attack, if at all possible.”

“So you don’t know who did it either.”

“No damn clue.”

“I have a pretty good idea who did it, though. This chap Littlefinger has a penchant for murderous plots. If I could only get evidence…”

“Littlefinger, littlefinger…” David repeated. “I’ve heard that name. He’s in Antarctica, right?”

“Right,” Celling answered.

“Well, we’re totally blind to events in Antarctica.”

“Why?”

“Erin god-damn Quill is why.”

“ERIN-”

“-Quill, yes, no need to shout. He fractures the timeline so much, affects so many events in such unorthodox ways, that we can’t even get a fix on anywhere a thousand miles from him. We just get white. Static. The sound of thousands of possibilities forming and ending. If you ever bump into him, tell him to tone it down a bits. Stop sticking his fingers everywhere he goes. So no. We can’t see how events in Antarctica might affect this plauge thing.”

Accepting further remarks. There are a couple of huge bits of info to connect from this update but I’ll leave you to figure them out yourself.

Thank you for complementing my system. It just came to me as a way of explaining non-OP oracles and fetch quests, I'm glad it's worth something.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 27, 2017, 09:50:36 pm »

*facepalm*

Is he certain that it's not our fault rather than Erin's? At least to some degree.
I mean, Erin was, last we heard of him, in a jail cell. Unless he's gotten out, I don't think he can be breaking the timeline too badly.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:26 pm »

So, if we could bring Erin to a place where should happen an inevitable doom the fabrics of reality would shape enough to be possible to avert the inevitable?

Santiago is where the virus will begin spreading or where it's made?( I don't know if alternate brazil is bigger and got all south america or if the bio weapon will begin slowly not killing the population of chile and slowly make his way to brazil where it will hit harder, maybe we can slow the process till Erin God-damn Quill comes)

Know something that the normal people could do to avoid spreading/ getting the plage? We could focus on an emergency campaign of "clean your FUCKING HANDS and use your clean hands to avoid FUCKING COUGHING ON OTHERS YOU MORONS"

Something else urgent you have to say to us/ask us? We should begin working on this ASAP
Novice english wordsmith

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:41 pm »

*facepalm*

Is he certain that it's not our fault rather than Erin's? At least to some degree.
I mean, Erin was, last we heard of him, in a jail cell. Unless he's gotten out, I don't think he can be breaking the timeline too badly.

…everyone clap for Glass, he just uncovered the big piece of information I embedded in this one. Yes, Quill being in jail means that Antarctica is no longer off-limits. Fluff writing has begun.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:26 pm »

*facepalm*

…everyone clap for Glass, he just uncovered the big piece of information I embedded in this one. Yes, Quill being in jail means that Antarctica is no longer off-limits. Fluff writing has begun.

... OH, nice.
Novice english wordsmith
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 203