Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282672 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter II: Ice and Fire: David Must Go
« Reply #1515 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:36 pm »

Can we escape too?
Because it seems like the thing to do right now.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 16, 2018, 02:40:52 pm »

I call david's powers

or call a meeting to know in which hole we will hide from public opinion
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 17, 2018, 08:58:51 am »

Just gonna signal boost games that I like here, but if you're waiting for the next SPAMOVERLORD update please come help me and Glass solve this problem. It's called Sindari: Immortals and is run by chubby2man.

Features include:

• Multiplayer cooperative - You play as a single person, but strategize with the rest of the players.
  • Immortality - Your character is an immortal demigod, and can heal almost all injuries. Even if you get killed, you can transfer your soul to a new person and still keep playing.
  • Beat the empire - Your enemies have all the same abilities and have had a lot longer to hone their control over the mortal world. They run an empire out of the mythical city of Atlantis and you are a small band of rebels working against them. Each of the Cisharni (our enemies) is given their own personality and treated as a unique character. And they're not all bad - I consider the Atlantis Empire about equal to our Republic, with the nobles being useless evil snobs but everyone else just working for their country.
  • Real world - The GM considers this to be an alternate timeline in which Atlantis just shows up with a bunch of power-hungry demigods a couple hundred years BCE. Real-world locations and cultures are part of it. So far we've seen the senate of Rome, the Greek city-states, Artemis and Apollo (as enemies), the Pharaoh in Egypt who's trying to summon Apophis, Native American tribes in America (allied with us!), and the emperors of China and Japan (on our side). You get to see how history might have played out differently.
  • Extreme time scale - Turns last for decades or centuries. The idea is that when both you and your opponent are immortal you can afford to wait. We've watched empires rise and fall already. (Specifically, Japan rose and Rome fell)
  • Freeform skills and traits - There are a bunch of classes and abilities to pick from and the GM will actually let you make up your own as long as it's basically balanced. Options for class include priests that can take control of minds and mages that can lock people's souls into gems as energy sources. Options for abilities include being able to extrude poisons from your skin or ripping open a pocket dimension as a personal hideaway. One guy wanted a stealth theme so he asked for a smoke form. He got it.
  • Magitech early Renaissance setting - We haven't hit the industrial revolution yet (hey glass, can you work on that?) but we have most Classical-era technologies plus a few fueled by magic, in the form of soul gems, which are (duh) souls enslaved in gems.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 17, 2018, 09:02:56 am »

• Most of the people in the soul gems are people who were near death anyway, and from what I can tell, they voluntarily let their souls be used for the gems.
  • I’ll try to make science happen once I have the time to not be dealing with the current war for China.
  • Each turn is 20 years, one action per year (excluding events). The longest a turn is likely to be is 50, which was already declared an unwieldy size.
  • Another real-world thing: the Silk Road. I’m not sure it exists anymore, but while it did, I abused it and teleportation for fun and profit until I got my head cut off by Communist Beetle Man.
  • Seriously, though, S:I is an absolutely amazing game, as is basically everything that Chubby2Man runs. You should be playing it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:06:11 am by Glass »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:20 am »

So you have voted to shoot the ship.

Spoiler: Dice (click to show/hide)

“Torpedo away,” the guy at the weapons panel calls out.

A missle, its path marked by a white wake of bubbles receding in the distance, sizzles away at the ship. It misses the rapidly turning vessel and flies off into open water.

The ship is turning yet more quickly now. It’s turned 180 degrees from the dock and it shows no sign of stopping. Soon it will be turned toward shore.

Celling tries to raise Fansworth on the radio but there is no reply. The man at the missle panel asks “Should I shoot again?”

What do you respond?
A: “Yes. Take out that ship.”
B: “No. Wait for Fansworth to answer.”
Ω: Use David’s powers to avert this roll.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 17, 2018, 10:16:22 am »

ΩDavid powers

and you convinced me to join, I maybe will do it later, after I read the stuff and think about something that I want to play but what is the exact problem? just few players? An specific role in which you need someone to take?(I have a fuckton of characters that I haven't felt that I played enough with them before the RPG comes to a eternal halt and be unfortunately abandoned, I probably have someone that might fit perfectly)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:20:15 am by omada »
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 17, 2018, 10:24:35 am »

The problem is the Cisharni are trying to conquer China. Though I'm not really sure what new players could do to help that...
Maybe just advice? *shrug*
But other than that, more players is just always nice.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:08 am »

and you convinced me to join, I maybe will do it later, after I read the stuff and think about something that I want to play but what is the exact problem? just few players? An specific role in which you need someone to take?(I have a fuckton of characters that I haven't felt that I played enough with them before the RPG comes to a eternal halt and be unfortunately abandoned, I probably have someone that might fit perfectly)

Right now, the armies of the Cisharni are invading China. We have a nice fortress that we're holding on to, called Dragon's Tooth. The pharaoh, Cisharni ruler of Egypt, is bringing a Dark Soul Gem to one of China's three mystic focus points next year. If he succeeds, he can summon Apophis, the Egyptian destroyer god, which would be a Bad Thing.

We have a guy that can see the future, but this is extremely dangerous as it basically broadcasts a psychic Come-Get-Me to all the evil things of the world. He got caught once already, by a fellow called the Secondborn. They destroyed each other but our guy managed to transfer his powers to another person, called Turangol, granting him immortality. Now one of the Secondborn's brothers is asking Turangol to give him the soul gem containing the future-seer's original personality.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:36 am »

So, the pharaoh is coming personally to china with his armies?

WHO is taking care of Egypt?

Someone is closer to Egypt than to china?

Maybe someone could begin to gather influence/kill important folk to dismantle the Cisharn power there, and also reduce their mundane supplies and reinforcements

If I were this future-seer the exact second that I would be captured inside atlantis I would see the future just to see how many magical creatures would give them headache to them. (there are others magical creatures than sindari and Cisharni right?)
Novice english wordsmith

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 17, 2018, 12:02:00 pm »

Maybe someone could begin to gather influence/kill important folk to dismantle the Cisharn power there, and also reduce their mundane supplies and reinforcements

If I were this future-seer the exact second that I would be captured inside atlantis I would see the future just to see how many magical creatures would give them headache to them. (there are others magical creatures than sindari and Cisharni right?)

Take this to that game's thread, please. Also, Glass, what's your vote.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42:19 pm »

Ω

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:04 am »

That would be I! (though I'm nowhere near influencing Egypt... yet.)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 19, 2018, 10:00:43 pm »

Possibility of tangles

David Eborrenial sees a point in the future. A burst of light. A flash. An explosion. Can’t be anything good. Probably not. It doesn’t put anyone in immediate danger but it might be a problem so he tries to avert it.

It’s ballistics. A falling object. A projectile. A slave to the lao explore. Codifies that option into the correct series of mental commands to exercise Protinam powers and tugs that thread of the timestream. He is testing out dodging the place it’s going to be. That usually works. Chaos theory. A small change puts everything about to happen out of whack. Statistically, that’s all that should be needed.

It isn’t.

He scans quickly over the other timelines. They show the same result. Unambiguously, fed to his mind - result of taking evasive action, failure. Not only that, they show a result. Which means that the event must occur in all timelines currently visible. That isn’t exactly unheard of, but it’s concerning. The last time this happened - a certainty - was the plague. But that was due to interference from Antarctica. This is a different scale.

He tries things. He wanders quickly down different branches, through different decisions, pushing and pulling on the timestream to see the results. He tries moving the target. He tries shifting the goalposts. He tries sounding the alarm and calling Celling to this position. That position. Nudging to a side. Saying different things hoping that through people’s actions they exert enough influence to shift the outcome. He tries hiding in different places. Nothing works.

Isolated? he wonders. Was this a situation he had no influence over? But no. He realizes that all the decisions still have the sort of… glow, the mental highlight, the sharp yellow line around the event that means that his decisions have an impact. In fact he can’t even see anything that he can’t affect with his decision, that isn’t connected to the Independent Variable. Everything he really doesn’t have control over is greyed out. The things that the decision he’s considering can affect, they’re in color. He can see it.

So my decisions have an impact but the impact is that the same result is reached? David thinks, unbelievingly. So just by chance everything I do doesn’t make it change? He keeps trying decisions. He keeps looking for ways out. He jitters through the timestream trying to find every course of action. Every one hits the same wall. The same unbelievable result. Result successful. Result: Failure.

Mirage, he realizes. Fata Morgana. A puddle in the desert. No matter how far you run it’s in front of you. But this isn’t a natural phenomenon. Not light. Not refraction The timestream doesn’t bend. We bend it. But something’s there. Everywhere.

Not everywhere, he corrects himself. Everywhere he looks. And it’s everywhere he looks if it follows where he looks. If it’s always in front of him, dancing before his eyes, he assumes it’s everywhere. That’s where it is. Like a hand, clenched, rushing in front of him.

Not a natural phenomenon. Artificial, he realizes. Chase scenes are a human construct. Nothing natural does this. Intelligent design, he thinks, and his eyes snap open. Intelligent design. A human construct. Fata Morgana. The castle of the sorceress. We bend the timestream. Who bends the timestream? Who else?

And then it hits him.

And then it hits, as the moment of the point comes screaming in. As his senses go into overload from the proximity of it, both real and false, in space and time. Of the probability, infinite and shockingly, roundedly complete. Unpredictable because it’s too predictable. The chances running upward and stomping on that three digit number. Certainty. One over zero. One to the infinity.

The flying bullet hits the slowly rotating staff of mercury and silver. The lead of the bullet simply melts into the metal of the staff, the kinetic energy breaking apart the glyphs and the edges.

Several psi-mystic command strands are cleanly severed instantly. The deformation of the base substrate and disruption of the relevant golden glyphs shuts down most of the subroutines controlling the psychic beacon and they just wink out of existence. The signal continues to broadcast for a few seconds, resonating up and down the transmitter, but the wires are pulled.

The explosion of arcane energy is palpable. Everyone is knocked right off their feet besides David Eborrenial, who has some inkling of what's going on and can brace himself against the shockwave, and his fellow Visionary Angela Davis, who struggles against the raging mental energy for a few seconds before collapsing to the ground.

David is winded, but retains enough presence of mind to begin constructing a shield, a heat sink of sorts, for when the staff fully fails a few seconds later, the metal melting from the heat and releasing even more heat in a cascading chain reaction. The energy, no longer used for maintaining the signal, simply takes the path of least resistance into the real world, bursting forward in a wave of blue light. David slams his hands together, touching his fingers to make the shape of a square in front of him, rerouting the energy and dumping it harmlessly (but wastefully) back into the aether. There is a noise like thunder and the world seems to shudder before the light fades and the staff falls to the ground, snapped neatly in two.

David staggers over to the unconscious guard next to him and pulls out his radio. He jabs his finger at the call switch. “Celling.”

David?” Celling asks.

“Notify your people that any remaining mental symptoms or hallucinations they are experience are harmless aftershocks and will fade over the next few minutes,” David says.

What?

“Someone just destroyed the beacon staff,” David explains. “Which means no more beacon, which means no more predictive power, which means my abilities are useless now.”

But… but how?” Celling asks.

“Hit it with a sniper round from long range,” David answers. “The more interesting thing is why I didn’t see it coming. We’re looking at an enemy Visionary, Celling. The rebels have access to the timestream.”

Dead silence followed from Celling’s end. “...one of the rebels is a prophet person?

“And a damn good one, too, from the looks of it. He - or she - was able to run circles around my predictive power. Observing my process of decisions and adapting his own to them in real time.”

I thought you kept tabs on everyone with the genetic background capable of becoming a Protinam?

“Yeah?” David says. “Well, there’s a very good reason I do that, no? Now, I have two options. I can’t predict squat without a focusing beacon, so what I probably should do is just go back up to the Citadel and get some new data.”

Yeah. And?

“But I’m actually really, really pissed at this person,” he continues. “I’m pretty sure the enemy Visionary is going to be totally powerless without my beacon to piggyback off of, but at this point I don’t know what to expect. And although Protinam powers are mainly observational, there are some offensive maneuvers available to us as well. If they decide to attack you psionically, you’re going to need me here to neutralize. At the very least, I can try to track the enemy based upon their energy signature.”

What do you tell him to do?

A: “Get back to the Citadel and monitor for more important information in the future. We don’t want stuff sprung on us.”
B: “If you’re ready for a rematch, go ahead. Advance to the dock and merge with the patrol group there.”
C: “Stay where you are and feed information about the location of the rebels to us. Can you see them now?”

No revert, by the way. And this isn’t because you chose to reroll, it’s just a thing I was getting ready to spring on you at some point.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 19, 2018, 10:29:41 pm »

C.
Plus, "Can you tell where the bullet came from?"

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:48 am »

C.
Plus, "Can you tell where the bullet came from?"
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 203