Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282711 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: (SG) CROSSOVERLORD
« Reply #2205 on: November 12, 2018, 12:46:21 pm »

Re-asking for opinions on the Rebels problem. I will be jumping to it soon. You currently are voting for grab Fansworth and run to the coast to escape. Please confirm that this is what you want.
+1

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: November 12, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »

We need to completely rewrite that plan and also have a new vote on it given our new information.

Then start. You have 18 hours before I take your earlier vote.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 12, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »

We need to completely rewrite that plan and also have a new vote on it given our new information.

Ok.

Mumble to ourselves, pretending to do some mental arithmetic about where the Secondborn is and how long it will take him to get here, and conclude: “We’ve likely got several hours before that bastard gets here, but when he does, this whole place is getting torn apart. We need to get this place evacuated. We can tell them there’s a... hurricane coming. Maybe a tsunami, or an earthquake. If anything, it’s an underestimate of the destruction...”
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2208 on: November 12, 2018, 09:22:04 pm »

Ok.

Mumble to ourselves, pretending to do some mental arithmetic about where the Secondborn is and how long it will take him to get here, and conclude: “We’ve likely got several hours before that bastard gets here, but when he does, this whole place is getting torn apart. We need to get this place evacuated. We can tell them there’s a... hurricane coming. Maybe a tsunami, or an earthquake. If anything, it’s an underestimate of the destruction...”
+1

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 12, 2018, 10:18:28 pm »

Okay, I should actually post something to get you guys moving again. All votes locked on the OOTS crossover thing, it’s time to roll things!

In the spirit of D&D all the following will be d20 rolls with bonuses added on. This means that your rolls will be more variable and your bonuses slightly less effective for the duration of this crossover, which makes sense because you’re operating in unknown territory and a fairly chaotic situation in a universe that doesn’t play by your rules.

Probably worth repeating your stats here:

• +1 military
  • +2 scientific
  • +1 informational
  • -1 political
  • BONUS: Scientific designs get one die automatically 4
  • BONUS: D7s are rolled on anything relating to Wenton Celling
  • Fingerprint scanners on military base doors
  • Uplifted dogs
  • Lobotomized child soldiers called “Cherubs”
  • Plans for a shield against Andantesite wormhole disruption, although power-intensive and requiring a lot of Andantesite
  • Large, cracked Andantesite shard, ready to link
  • Radio-frequency Andantesite disruptor - 14.03 hour working time
  • Loading of wormhole onto SFN Pylos planned, to follow Magellan back home
  • Hammerspace parrot
  • Venomous implants for dogs
  • Hammerspace disruption masers, although in control of Padelheb Fansworth

Plot points to be resolved:
  • T. Levin inspecting Tommy DeMarco’s memory removal, then leaving for America
  • Interrogating captured rebels
  • Order of the Stick
  • Padelheb’s remaining supporters

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

I’m actually going to cut back to the rebels now, because everything that you proposed is going to take some time to do.

Celling rounded the corner and walked across the street. The rebels, the unknown woman, and the child introduced as Boonering's heir following a few steps behind. They met Fansworth around midway across the dirt and gravel path. Behind Fansworth walked a regiment of his men, holding rifles and marching in formation.

The rebels lag behind, apparently discussing something amongst themselves. Then Anna Drimoxi steps forward so that she's walking right next to Celling and whispers over his shoulder. "I've got something to tell you."

What?" Celling asks.

"We were bluffing," Anna admits, continuing to walk forcefully across the street. "We don't know how to reactivate the Key of Taloc. The Children of the Shrubbery, and Mary Boonering - she's over there, she's J. V. Boonering's mother - they're sure that anyone with the same male lineage and zodiac sign as Fredrik Boonering will be able to activate it, but we... have our reasons to doubt that."

Celling mutters curses under his breath. He'd known this was coming, of curse - the players Up There had informed him of what they'd found through alternate communication channels - but it was annoying to see it confirmed and he had to put up an impression of being surprised anyways. "Why the hell did you say you could, then?"

"We were bluffing," Anna repeats. "We wanted to get our friends back."

"That's something I've been meaning to ask you," Celling says. "How did you know that Samael Drimoxi and Andrew Calvin were still alive?"

"Julia Seyllin told us after we freed her from Goonswarm," Anna says. "Said she'd heard some things that the Mittani had picked up, and combined with her own powers

Celling nods and turns back to look into the distance, seemingly satisfied by this. "So back to the matter at hand. We have no way whatsoever of stopping the Secondborn-"

"No way we know will work. The Boonering child may well be able to reactivate it, but we can't be sure."

"-no sure way of stopping the Secondborn. Darn it." Celling says. By now they've arrived at the middle of the road and both Celling and Fansworth's groups stop. Fansworth salutes half heartedly. "What's the plan, Celling?"

Well? What is it?

Celling steps closer to Fansworth, leans over his shoulder, and lowers his voice so that only Fansworth can hear. “Fansworth, about that stuff I told the rebels - how much did you hear?”

Fansworth thinks for a while, staring off into the distance. “After we’re done? With this? With the Secondborn and the Rebels, and after we’re in a safe spot? You’re going to tell me everything you know about this Narrative and the Story or whatever,” he finally whispers back, seriously. “You mention that Quill is trying to give you psychic powers and then you dump this load of mystical spiritual woo about how the world is an illusion on the rebels? Something bigger’s going on, and I want to know what it is.

Do you tell Fansworth about the Fourth Wall?

Ok.

+1

I'll take this if no other ideas.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:27:46 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 12, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »

Of course we’ll tell him about it. After we’re mostly much done with the current nonsense, and we’re definitely in a safe spot.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #2211 on: November 12, 2018, 11:53:08 pm »

Of course we’ll tell him about it. After we’re mostly much done with the current nonsense, and we’re definitely in a safe spot.
In my humble opinion, +1

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter III: World's Fall: Stations of the Plot
« Reply #2212 on: November 13, 2018, 06:55:29 pm »

of course, we used our white card of talking about the fourth wall and used it on the most of people on the same time, I think it's safe now
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »

Note: we’ll say it’s a hurricane coming.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »

+1 to everything Glass says

:P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 14, 2018, 01:23:32 pm »

I’m not sure if I should keep the current quote from Blue or make this my sig.  :-\

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 14, 2018, 01:24:20 pm »

I’m not sure if I should keep the current quote from Blue or make this my sig.  :-\

Just add mine (and anyone else's) underneath blue's.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 14, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »

Just add mine (and anyone else's) underneath blue's.
Fair enough. Gimme a moment.

EDIT: There we go. I removed the Orbiter and Ema’s-waitlist-RTD; I didn’t have enough space with them in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:38:01 pm by Glass »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:32 pm »

Celling looks up into space for a minute. “Alright, he was last seen igniting the Pillar. He’s probably pretty far from here. Given that for all we know he still has to travel at normal human speed, he’s not going to be here for a few hours. When he does, though, based on our predictions, this is gonna be bad. His psychic abilities are… city-leveling at the least. The danger zone’s going to be measured in miles.”

“So what do we do?” asks Fansworth.

“Say there’s going to be a natural disaster,” Celling says. “A hurricane, or a tsunami, or something.”

“Isn’t that going to cause mass panic?” Jacob asks. “Lots of people are going to run from it. It could cause a lot of unnecessary harm.”

“I mean, we’re not really lying,” Celling reasons. “The Secondborn’s going to be a threat as big as anything we can warn the people of - at the least.”

They’re sitting in the room outside the main telegram headquarters for the Montevideo area. Celling’s sent the message along that a tsunami is approaching within the next five hours, and he’s now explaining to Fansworth, safely out of earshot of the rebels.

"Simply put," Celling says, "this world is not real. It's an illusion created by-"

"Is this some kind of religious thing?" Fansworth asks skeptically.

"No, it's not," says Celling, walking around Fansworth. "It's scientific - it's rooted in observation and logical deduction. This world is not real. Through correlation of events, we are able to find that this world exists as a fictional story - a child's game - within another one."

"Literary agent hypothesis?" Fansworth asks. "Actually? Seriously? You think this is all a story?" Fansworth picks up a stone from the road and squeezes it between his fingers, as if affirming that it is solid.. "This is real. This is the world that we live in. What you are saying makes no sense."

"This all looks real because the people writing this right now decide that it looks real," Celling says.

"That's insane. You're saying that what I just said - what I just did - it's just words on a page?" Fansworth asks, dropping the rock. It falls on the ground with a dull thud. "That's nonsense. That's ridiculous."

"It's provable, if you know where to look," Celling insists. "Have you noticed that the rebels always seem to get away? How our shots just miraculously miss while theirs always hit? That against all probability the universe is moving towards a grand design based on tropes and cliches of fantasy novel plots?"

“That’s all circumstantial,” Fansworth says. “You can’t just blame the fundamental nature of the universe every time you have a run of bad luck.”

“Oh yeah?” Celling asks. “What’s the current date.”

Oh crap.

“What’s the current date?” Celling asks again. “Day, month, and year. What day of the week is it? How many days has it been since Padelheb took power? What is the current time? Which event is our calendar system based upon?”

Wait uh… if it was three days two days ago and… but it had to be the beginning of summer… which is winter because southern hemisphere so-

“I am asking this RIGHT NOW!” Celling says, turning around on one foot and shouting to the sky, as if not talking to Fansworth, but something far higher and invisible. “What I’m asking for is LITERALLY the time of day. Every schoolboy knows this. This is something that everyone should be able to get quickly. Or at least look up within minute.”

He turns back to Fansworth. “But you can’t, can you? You’re drawing a blank. Ask why you’re doing that. It’s because you’re looking into a hole in reality itself. Because you’re looking at a blank area, not just zero, but undefined. Undefined by who? By the person that defines things, of course. Don’t let it go! Think on it! Now, you see-”

Fansworth sees.

He sees the patterns. The tropes and cliches, the plotlines, winding through every particle of the universe. He sees the medium, stretching up like a spiral into the sky and not-sky, winding through invisible dimensions - methods of measurement that simply aren’t there to uninitiated eyes. He sees the real world, looming high above, tugging on the strings of this one. He sees the forums, all the words and players, arguing endlessly, battering out the text that makes up his reality. He sees the written and unwritten rules that it all works by, the webs of convention and stats and dice and quotas. He sees the infinity of the Internet, dense, interconnected, a veritable sea of ideas, a near-infinite mass of information of any sort. He sees the Plot, wrapped around the world and squeezing it on to its final destination, eyes watching everywhere on the Earth. Wordlessly, he asks if this is real. Instantly, he knows that it is.

Fansworth’s mouth hangs agape for half a second before he closes it. “I’d probably say something in shock, but I don’t want to give him the satisfaction.”

Screw you!

“Screw you too!” says Fansworth disdainfully. “What kind of a GM are you? What kind of GM explicitly works against the players?”

“You see it too, then?” Celling asks.

“Yeah, I got it all,” Fansworth replies. “So Goonswarm and Padelheb…”

“Expies. Carbon copies of characters in other media. My friends up above-” Celling gestures over his shoulder as if they’re actually there, “say that they’re pretty bad people in their home universes.”

“And the parrot-”

“Can access a universe of pure suspension of disbelief.”

“And the Secondborn-”

“They have fought him before. In another world. He held godlike power there, and managed to escape here.”

They are interrupted by a random intern at the station poking his head into the room. “Excuse me, sirs,” he says sheepishly. “I just came from the broadcast room.”

“Is the message out?” asks Celling.

“Yes, all other stations have been notified that a major hurricane is on the way and evacuations are beginning,” he says. He steps into the middle of the room and stands there, fidgeting his hands. “But, sir… I don’t think anyone else noticed, but I know a bit of meteorology and… there’s no way we could have detected a hurricane. Based off known cyclonic systems, they move way faster than our fastest boats or trains. So what’s really going on here?”

“Smart kid,” Fansworth says. “Have you told anyone else about this?”

“Uh, no sir,” the intern replies.

How do you deal with this?

A: “Alright, we better tell you the truth. We’re expecting a terrorist attack somewhere in the city. Weapon of Mass Destruction level. We’ve got to get everyone out without much panicking.” (tell the truth, or at least most of it)
B: “You’re right, we couldn’t detect it via conventional means. Erin Quill was testing methods of advance hurricane prediction and found that one was inbound.” (come up with technobabble to justify it)
C: “This is a state secret and we can’t tell you the full story, but we’ve got a plenty good reason to be doing this. You have to keep quiet about what you’ve found. Don’t tell anyone else, or we’ll know.” (Straight up tell him that it must be kept a secret)
D: “Good. Fewer loose ends to wrap up. You’re coming with us.” (Jail or otherwise silence the kid)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 14, 2018, 06:51:49 pm »

A+C, include D if he doesn’t seem inclined to keep it secret.
The C part is mostly about putting emphasis on the fact that he can’t share any of it because of what would happen.
If we have to do D, he won’t be harmed; we just need him to be not able to spread the word. We’ll still evacuate him, but with people that already know (I.e. the people that work for us) rather than with normal civilians.

EDIT: Potentially tell him about the Secondborn. You guys figure that out; I’m not sure.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:53:21 pm by Glass »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 203