Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fantasy General II.  (Read 3126 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy General II.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:08:46 am »

Yeah, it looks very iOS Strategy game now. There's no system of wounded/dead as in the previous game, so no tactical basis for when you just need to free a unit to rest and bring most of their wounded health back, or when they need to disengage because most of their losses are dead and can't be easily replaced during the scenario.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 11:23:06 am »

Yeah, it looks very iOS Strategy game now. There's no system of wounded/dead as in the previous game, so no tactical basis for when you just need to free a unit to rest and bring most of their wounded health back, or when they need to disengage because most of their losses are dead and can't be easily replaced during the scenario.

Keep in mind, that this is an alpha version. Anyway, I've updated the OP with links and stuff.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:15 pm »

Well, the gameplay footage there wasn't too bad. Didn't see an air layer, but the ground combat seems solid. Animation are a bit...clunky, though.

Still, might end up ok. Worth watching to see, at least.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 02:03:51 pm »

At least their game page has most of the features that made up Fantasy General.  Except research.

The story overview is confusing and poorly written.  Hopefully they fix that, but its a minor flaw.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 05:29:03 pm »

Actually seems a lot better than I thought after I watched the game play video.

I think they've just done a poor job of explaining why it's different from a usual 4x style game which is a shame - it DOES seem pretty tactical and the idea of slightly more contained maps would be a nice change (a bit like Into the Breach).

I don't think the unit art style helps at all though - it's usable but really bland and also makes it look very much like Civ combat which has always been very simplistic.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 04:48:47 am »

Fantasy General II has been released.

I've played the first mission or two. It's... promising. Nothing like the original Fantasy General, but still inspired by it. So far in the first three missions, the AI hasn't had a chance to particularly shine or look bad - it does try to withdraw and rest intelligently, and a boss enemy used its charge through and attack ability effectively to disorder as many units as possible in one go.

You do have a lot more limited selection of units - you can buy two basic chassis to begin with, either sword infantry or spear infantry. You can then upgrade those chassis down different paths depending on the resources you gain through the missions - sword infantry can become heavy infantry, shock infantry (berserkers) or slingers. Spear infantry can become light cavalry, heavy infantry or skirmishers.

You have one hero unit to start with, yourself, and overall it hasn't felt over or underpowered.

I still think I might go back and play the original Fantasy General, because they're two seperate experiences - Fantasy General is a tactical wargame, while Fantasy General II is more of a top-down tactical RPG.
Pages: 1 [2]