Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance: make your own Cleganebowl  (Read 13934 times)

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance: make your own Cleganebowl
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2018, 03:23:09 am »

Not fpp, but it has been done - Exanima. Unfortunately, I think it is abandoned, but has cheap, playable alpha-version game. Not really a great game, but Die by the Sword wasn't either.
According to their forums they are at least communicating with players and are writing something that could be "dev blogs". Either they are too lazy to write about updates in the news section or they are not doing updates at all. Without buying the game we can never know and I'm opposed of buying the game without visible updates (or at least something in the news at the steam store page).

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2018, 03:33:40 am »

According to their forums they are at least communicating with players and are writing something that could be "dev blogs". Either they are too lazy to write about updates in the news section or they are not doing updates at all. Without buying the game we can never know and I'm opposed of buying the game without visible updates (or at least something in the news at the steam store page).

There was no update for a year, but as you said, at least they are somewhat "communicating". It is being worked on for years with gameplays from playable closed tests popping up as early as 2012.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2018, 03:33:52 am »

Eh, wasn't that long ago Exanima came out with a big arena update + bugfixes. They're still working on it, they're just... Really slow. I've got the game myself, good for spending some time as a naked lardass with a sickle-stick and just drunkenly flapping about until you can maneuver the blade into the enemy's neck and carve the artery open.

I wouldn't really class it alongside DBtS though, as you're effectively only controlling which side the sword swing is made from (left or right, and sometimes overhead, although that's mainly only useful for downed opponents). It's the character and item physics that take care of all the details.

Low-skill fighting (I.E., the only thing I'm capable of) involves a LOT of impromptu hugging... Which is great if you just want to watch some drunk people have a love-brawl until they fall over, but can be a little irritating if you were really looking to become Lord Death of Massacre Mountain and actually kill stuff.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »

I have to say I really enjoy the whole Lords of Rattay questlines.

I really like Sir Hanush's voice actor for one. Does a fantastic job.

And I really like the writing they put into him and Lord Capon. I actually enjoy being around them and their situations are so relatable. They don't act like stereotypical one-dimensional people (well, at least after the first introduction anyway) and I can relate to them very well.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2019, 06:38:38 am »

Rise, thread!

I have to vent. God, the UI-to-mechanics choices they made for this game infuriates me to no end, as a new player.

So you got the targeting system, right? To help you keep yourself directed at the enemy. How nice! Except you need to be able to quickly get away too, so they added an option to just turn away with the mouse and detargetting happens. How nice! Except now even slight movements of the mouse disrupts the targeting thing and causes you to lag behind as your target moves, jerking the camera/perspective. Even when you're just instinctively using the mouse to turn in the direction the target is moving, as you have to do in 99% of all other fighty games, including every other part of KG:D that's not in combat mode. So what, you say, you'll just have to train away that instinct/muscle memory and learn to not move the mouse when you're in combat. Fair enough. Except then lastly the game still requires you to move the mouse to choose attack position, and mistakenly inching the mouse too far when selecting your attack still does the jerky thing with the detargeting.

I have absolutely no idea who possibly could have thought this combination of UI/controls was a good idea. It's ridiculous.

Also that target reticule that they have which shows you when to counterattack and stuff? I hate that when you take a beating the animations make your character turn away so you lose vision of the enemy, the reticule stays with the targetted enemy and you lose vision of that too, making it ridiculously impossible to know when to parry the next strikes (if it's even possible at that point). But at least that one's understandable -- and one of the reasons no game should ever be in first person, it's just awful. I don't understand how anyone could prefer it.

So anyway that's the story of how I entered my first tourney at Rattay, having just made mince-meat of that pompous arse Capon, thinking the tourney would just as easy, and how I lost basically all my money on the buy-in and miller's bets. Well, at least I gained a couple off skill-ups in return. Pretty costly charge though. Sigh. I'm gonna go have some coffee and cool off, now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:48:12 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2019, 06:40:15 pm »

We wuz Kangdomz n' sheeit

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:41 pm »

Sure fire way to get annoyed at the game is to do the tournament at the start. In my case I did a lot of explorations and side quests, and still got my ass handed to me and had to wait longer before joining, and STILL lost 2 against 1 with the last enemy hp at 10% - bullshit, I say! But the idea of the game is that Henry is nothing but something a little better than a peasant, but still a peasant, and all that.

I played this for almost two weeks for many hours, I really enjoyed it. I only stopped because it was consuming my soul, and I wasn't even progressing the story. The game's too much fun and has too many quests and silly things, and I enjoyed the humor.

But I 100% agree, even once you get gud the control stuff can be totally annoying - you can get instakilled if it locks things in and doesn't let you clear the target, and also can get instakilled if it unlocks the targeting at the wrong time. At least all the silly fun and dramatic moments makes up for it IMO, and the more you level up the more you wreck stuff faster, so it becomes less of a problem over time. Definitely not ideal, tho.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2019, 06:52:33 am »

Yes, I figured as much and continued on with the main quest -- the Cumans faced in it (and later bandits) was much more level appropriate. Who knew Frank "the Crank" the brewerboy was such a master swordsman, why isn't he the Main Character? Maybe he is and he is going on a similar adventure, saving Bohemia through a quest of blades and beer, drinking the whole Cuman army under the table.

Also Capon is kind of growing on me. Am I infected?

We wuz Kangdomz n' sheeit

I don't the reference
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2019, 07:04:24 am »

I don't the reference
There was a large kerfuffle around the release of the game connected to some racist-y statements from the devs, which then like any good internet controversy rubber-banded into "You only dislike this game because of politics".

"We wuz kangz n' sheeit" is a racist meme about the question of whether or not ancient Egyptians were black (and how black they were). Kingdom Come is exclusively full of white people because blacks apparently hadn't been invented yet.

Ergo, we wuz Kangdomz.

(also I was drunk at the time of writing)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2019, 07:34:46 am »

Well I'm sorry to have to say this Kagus but Black people weren't invented in Czechia, you know -- we tend to attribute that innovation to Africa
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]