Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance: make your own Cleganebowl  (Read 13765 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance: make your own Cleganebowl
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2018, 09:29:24 pm »

I am actually confused about this, it sounds like another case of the game not living up to the hype, then again, I haven't had problems that I've heard others describe. I have had that 20 5 minute fight with a bandit, but after such fights became easier as skills raise up.

I guess when I think about it, the one large fight I was in was heavily scripted, it did ignore the fact that I had slowly skirmished the enemy's garrison to death. Which I mean shoot an arrow to hit or get the attention of a few, run off until there was just one or two, kill them, take armor and weapons, sell and repair my armor and weapons then repeat.

I have been playing for over 20 hours now and haven't noticed any political undertones or anything...Disney movies do a good job of shoehorning politics into stuff but this game doesn't have that.
I will also second this.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 09:32:10 pm »

An article from a while back about his opinions, for posterity. Note that it somewhat heavily references the gamergate crap from a few years ago, which I would recommend against arguing about seeing as it's something of a taboo topic around here due to its propensity for starting arguments and getting people banned.

In any case, the impression I'm getting that it's not a particularly political game, but the developer isn't exactly the most tolerant of people. I understand not wanting to buy the game or disliking it on principle (personally, I'm rather turned off after discovering this,) but I also understand not caring about that and just enjoying the game.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 09:33:59 pm »

Looking into the controversy a bit, it occurred well before the game was actually released and has nothing to do with the actual politics expressed in the game.

Basically a developer (or whatever) said way back during the kick-starter that Bohemia was entirely white in this time period and that's why you have to play as a white guy. People pointed out that this is not true and then he said that he felt attacked and... Yeah. It's an argument on the internet about race and representation. I think you all can imagine how the rest of it went and all of the mud thrown around.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 09:36:48 pm »

Looking into the controversy a bit, it occurred well before the game was actually released and has nothing to do with the actual politics expressed in the game.

Basically a developer (or whatever) said way back during the kick-starter that Bohemia was entirely white in this time period and that's why you have to play as a white guy. People pointed out that this is not true and then he said that he felt attacked and... Yeah. It's an argument on the internet about race and representation. I think you all can imagine how the rest of it went and all of the mud thrown around.
This is fair enough and explains why there are attempts to attack the game in any way possible. I mostly figured it was just easier development wise to make a non-customisable player character.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:39:05 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 10:05:26 pm »

Has anyone had any luck with archery so far? I did a bit of horse archery to kill the two bandits for the main quest, but I haven't done much since I stole a (real) sword from said bandits. Does it get to a point where you can actually hit things decently?
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 10:46:18 pm »

Has anyone had any luck with archery so far? I did a bit of horse archery to kill the two bandits for the main quest, but I haven't done much since I stole a (real) sword from said bandits. Does it get to a point where you can actually hit things decently?

Yes...this game does a good job of showing low skill vs high skill actually mattering.

Much like sword fights it gets a lot better as you level. It is also based on intuitive aiming so it actually takes practice from you, the gamer, to aim for around center screen with no aiming reticle. Getting down the aiming on your end is a big part of it

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 11:32:42 pm »

Women had actual power in terms of being 100% responsible for the household, which for noble women might mean hundreds of people, and after the death of the husband this extended to full control over property. Add to that the convent as an institution to which any woman could flee no questions asked, and women rights were significant, especially when compared to the enormous rollback in both property rights and household power during the 18th and 19th centuries, Suffragettes in the 20th weren’t just fighting for the vote, but for a return to pre-19th century rights of inheritance.

As far as Joan, she was not the first nor last woman to dress like a man and pick up the sword, she was just the most famous, and since we are talking about an RPG protagonist, with insane social mobility anyway, the reasoning behind excluding the possibility of playing Joan becomes really thin.

Compare to Crusader Kings: it keeps the sexism realistic, no one respects you, even after you take castles and conquer men, but it allows for the Joan of Arc experience.

Finally, I am not the one calling him a neonazi, his twitter, which is nothing but neo nazi reposts and shares is calling him a neo nazi, and just like in “Are we the baddies”, us SJWs aren’t running his twitter account
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:34:19 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2018, 04:40:20 am »

4. it's for pc: check

The controls are obviously designed for consoles. That kept me from trying all the recent Elder Scrolls games, and it looks like I'll skip this one too.

Not sure how you got this conclusion...I am playing on PC and it feels like a PC game...the control scheme feels just fine.

That's a pretty shallow way to judge a game...you don't even try it cause you assume the controls are meant for console games...

I looked at the videos and saw the typical controller inventory management.

I don't even try it, because other aspects of the game will naturally also be designed for consoles.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 05:19:54 am »

The controls are obviously designed for consoles. That kept me from trying all the recent Elder Scrolls games, and it looks like I'll skip this one too.

Not sure how you got this conclusion...I am playing on PC and it feels like a PC game...the control scheme feels just fine.

That's a pretty shallow way to judge a game...you don't even try it cause you assume the controls are meant for console games...

I don't even try it, because other aspects of the game will naturally also be designed for consoles.

Can you elaborate? I still don't understand how it is designed for consoles? I have been a PC gamer for well over a decade and I played consoles before this current generation...There is nothing about the inventory screen that makes me go "Ugh they designed this for console and ported to PC"

They did have this issue with Skyrim...luckily as part of the PC master race there are mods to fix it.

It seems extremelly pedantic to skip a game based on an assumption of something that, at worst, is mildly annoying and will be fixed with mods.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2018, 06:34:12 am »

My most amusing/annoying moment during my limited time with the game was during the 2nd? part of the tutorial. You're tasked with, among other things, 'finding a way out of the castle'. You see, the guards were ordered not to let you leave.

After arguing with the guard and the commander, I looked around. Well there is a drawbridge, I thought. I hopped off the edge to the rock about a foot below it, and walked out. The quest updated, a bit anticlimactically, and I wondered why this was difficult? Then I just walked out of town and none of the guards cared.

About 10 minutes later while I was on an empty road, I got a sudden fade-to-black loading screen for about 35 seconds and a guard appeared OUT OF NOWHERE. "Good job I caught you!" This bastard hadn't been anywhere nearby, the game just spawned him in for some artificial difficulty once I passed some trigger point I guess.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2018, 06:47:56 am »

Can you elaborate? I still don't understand how it is designed for consoles? I have been a PC gamer for well over a decade and I played consoles before this current generation...There is nothing about the inventory screen that makes me go "Ugh they designed this for console and ported to PC"

They did have this issue with Skyrim...luckily as part of the PC master race there are mods to fix it.

It seems extremelly pedantic to skip a game based on an assumption of something that, at worst, is mildly annoying and will be fixed with mods.

The inventory is designed to make it easier for console controllers, up/down, left/right type of movement. It's also noticeable in the trading, with the left/right quantity bar.

I'd need to actually play it, but it raises red flags already.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:51 am »

Played the heck outta this game so far, this is mostly a ptw at the moment. 

Would highly recommend getting the save without saviour schnapes mod that's on nexus mods though.  Some of the quests are rather... glitchy around the 20 hour mark or so of gameplay?  I'd understand the not letting you save easily mechanic if the game had been bug tested more but the fact that you can fail some main story missions due to glitches/have the game crash and lose hours of progress isn't really something anyone should deal with.

Overall... 7.5/10 so far, would be 10/10 if the game had any semblance of QA+Bug fixing done before release...
Nom nom nom

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2018, 10:33:44 am »

The inventory seems to work perfectly fine for me on PC.  Scroll wheel works and you just click over to the other menus if you want.  Lots of layers for clothing, too - you get clothes, then a jacket, then a gambeson, then I think platemail over that, and that's just for torso armor for example.  I think I also have vambraces and gloves as separate equipment.

I was kinda bummed there was 0 chargen apart from picking two levelups at the start, but then this doesn't appear to be that kind of RPG.  Witcher doesn't let you do any of that shit, after all.  And yeah, while I would have liked to play as a girl, KCD has been a storyline-centric game so far and I don't really think that it would have worked when I was fighting BOTH the immense social stratification of both being some loser peasant and also a woman during a deeply patriarchal setting.  Like, I'm already astounded the player character gets away with pulling off all the stupid shit he does already.  I'll just have to hope that they decide to do an actual sandbox type of game that lets you play as one, or something.

I'm maybe 12 hours in or so right now, I think, and I haven't noticed any weird Neo Nazi shit either?  Like, the people in the game really hate these foreigners - but they have a pretty good reason to, what with them being an invading army that kills, rapes and mutilates and all that.  Society-wise people have been kinda shitty, but like... it's to be expected?  The player character starts off as a grubby peasant and also kind of a dumbass.  Some of the nobles have been kinda shitty, but they're nobles, they're supposed to be douchebags.  If anything, they've been kinda too cool with my character, which has been an interesting portrayal, but which could possibly be construed as some kind of Neo Nazi message if you were like, actively trying to be offended or something.

Personally I think it's been pretty enjoyable so far.  Framerates a little bit janky - I'm running it on a (relatively cheap) 'gaming computer' that I bought this last Black Friday on low settings and FPS has been pretty inconsistent - but then, it's the 1.0 release of a new game, presumably in a new engine, from a new studio, so it's kinda silly to be all that pissy about that.  The load-times and such have been noteworthily present, and I hope they can iron those out, either in this game or more likely their next.  On the more positive side, it's a first person medieval game that doesn't feel weird and gamey like Skyrim does, and it gets the historical-medieval-European, religion-centric-as-fuck aesthetic down pretty good.  The dialogue sounds pretty... like, normal, as in, not obviously trying to invoke a medieval-sounding aesthetic I guess, which is neat.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:58:26 am by Farce »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2018, 10:57:44 am »

yeah, im still planning on doing my lp, it's going to be a semi-narrative thing.

im stuck in south carolina (i live in florida) on business and it's borrringgggg.

ive been watching some streams/lps of the game and yeah, as a peasant, you get away with a lot of shit. i suppose its because the nobles you've been meeting so far are of lower rank and as such are a bit closer to their charges but i think the father did something in the past so awesome it's allowing you to squeak thru on his street cred alone.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:10 am »

Seems like that's the plot excuse for your lord in particular, yeah, but I don't think any of the others know or care about that.

Fuck though, like, is there a set-up-camp mechanic, or a certain kinda building I can hit up at night to sleep?  I'm away from home and need to talk to people, but they're fuckin asleep.  Talking to them just makes them tell me to fuck off, and presumably punching their stupid asses awake is a bad idea, but sitting on a bench for like 8 hours until the sun comes up again seems uh.  Stupid?  And presumably so would be like, breaking into some guy's house and napping on their bench or whatever.  Like... I can see a 'lodgings' building, but it looks like they're locked up for the night, hngh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8