Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Pregnancy Pre-Requisites?  (Read 2406 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Pregnancy Pre-Requisites?
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:59:02 pm »

I'm planning on using DFHack to make my retired adventurer dwarf a non-asexual, and have him marry and eventually start a family, as that is one of his life goals, apparently. However, I'm curious what pre-requisites there are for dwarven pregnancy, or if it's even possible with a dwarf adventurer, since I don't want to make him married only to find out he can't have any sort of offspring. Does anyone know what requirements there are for a dwarf to become pregnant other than having them be a married couple? Are there any other requirements aside from that? Thanks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Pregnancy Pre-Requisites?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »

They need to be adjacent or in same tile with their spouse with "No Job", iirc.

I think they also need to be non-gelded, non-sterile, have a soul, and perhaps also not be opposed to life, with the same having to apply to their spouse.

Otherwise, it's possible - I recall an amusing snekmen fotress that had an sneksplosion due them laying lots of eggs at the time.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:40:46 pm »

They need to be adjacent or in same tile with their spouse with "No Job", iirc.

I think they also need to be non-gelded, non-sterile, have a soul, and perhaps also not be opposed to life, with the same having to apply to their spouse.

Otherwise, it's possible - I recall an amusing snekmen fotress that had an sneksplosion due them laying lots of eggs at the time.

Sweet. Hopefully I can make it work, though I  have two concerns, which you hopefully may be able to put to rest.

1. Is there an age cap to pregnancy?

2. Are adventurers, by default, set to sterile? I know this is the case with animal men and the like, but can the same be said for dwarven adventurers?

Thanks a bunch for the help.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:58:30 pm »

1. Is there an age cap to pregnancy?

At least in fort mode, no.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 02:37:08 am »

A very important condition for pregnancy is being female ;)

Otherwise, menopause does not exist in DF, so it should be possible for ageing characters to die of old age while pregnant.

As far as I understand, adventurers have a special "indeterminate" sexuality flag set. My understanding is that clearing this flag and setting up the "normal" sexual preferences (i.e. the other flags) appropriate ought to enable former adventurers to marry and procreate. Obviously, you're going to have the normal problem of getting your ex adventurer to recognize the beard of the future spouse, unless you hack it (and if you do, you can as well hack a marriage too).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:01:09 am »

Yeah, they're not really sterile - just don't know what they find attractive, which defaults to finding nothing attractive.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:04:21 pm »

It's worth noting that marriage is required for babies, and marriage does have age requirements of a 10-year gap between participants.

Also according to the wiki female dwarves will get pregnat every year.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »

Dwarves CAN get pregnant: If you run a reasonably "efficient" fortress chances are spouses won't actually be in unoccupied proximity long enough to get the female impregnated every year. Spontaneous births happen to married dorfs, but if you want some efficiency to it you'll have to "encourage" them.
I don't know if there's a pregnancy block period after giving birth, but I don't think so. I know I've had a dorf who was carrying around two babies at the same time (without it being a twin birth) back in 0.40.early.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:52:03 pm »

Apologies for revival of an oldish post, but I didn't want to make a new one asking essentially the same question.

I've managed to settle my adventurer in a fortress, give him citizenship, and marry him (albeit forcibly, with DFhack) to a woman 20 years of age, him being 21. They've been married for a year, and, according to the Wiki and a poster on this thread, children are supposed to be had roughly every year, given the couple in question is idle with each other for a time. They have been idle and adjacent to each other in a handful of occasions, but, using nb_family_affairs to check the potential mother shows that she is not currently pregnant, which is strange. I have another couple in the fort who married and conceived a child within one month, with no designated home, so I don't think it has to do with them being too busy.

I have a mild fear that my adventurer may be sterile, which I was hoping wasn't the case. I used "gaydar" on him, and it shows the typical message when looking at adventurers, which I can't parrot precisely. It's something along the lines of "no preference". Is this why I'm not seeing any children, or does asexuality only affect their decision for relationships? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:57:11 pm »

As hinted above, all adventurers are...Well, not asexual. Undetermined, which defaults to same behaviour.

There's dfhack command to modify all the orientations in a fort : fix-ster.

Note that if you do it manually you need to dig into historical unit data to get them to breed.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:35:46 pm »

As hinted above, all adventurers are...Well, not asexual. Undetermined, which defaults to same behaviour.

There's dfhack command to modify all the orientations in a fort : fix-ster.

Note that if you do it manually you need to dig into historical unit data to get them to breed.

Used that command and it worked. Thanks a bunch. Now I just need to figure out how long until the child is born.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »

9 months for intelligent creatures, unless it is an egg, then it is 3 months to hatch.

I created relations-indicator to view remaining time with gui, but you can just use gui/gm-editor on mother to check your lone adventurer's pregnancy counter bit more simply.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 07:52:25 pm »

9 months for intelligent creatures, unless it is an egg, then it is 3 months to hatch.

I created relations-indicator to view remaining time with gui, but you can just use gui/gm-editor on mother to check your lone adventurer's pregnancy counter bit more simply.

Thanks. The child has been born and it seems like it all worked out well enough. I'm a tinge excited to see how the game reacts when you interact with your kid in adv. mode and if maybe I can bring him along with me and into the fray once he's come of age.