Advanced search  

Poll

Should I draw out singificant events?

Yes that sounds fun!
- 4 (100%)
No it doesn't seem necessary.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: No mans land challenge  (Read 1234 times)

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
No mans land challenge
« on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:21 am »

I decided to start up a new challenge today, this one being a world type challenge. In this world I set the size to huge, the civs to the lowest setting along with the minerals, and everything else as high as possible. Its gonna be a world filled with monsters and beasts but not many civilizations. I am going to embark on the first tile I open up to, will update as it goes.

Update 1: The fort is in a cold area with deep metals and flux stone but no river. Its name translates to Daggerrough.

Update 2: Had our first migrant wave and traders come in, through a senseless mistake I completely forgot to actually trade for anything. This is gonna be a rough winter.

Update 3: Its been about a year and my miners have yet to find any metals, my food industries are shoddy but still somehow holding up. I got my first mysterious construction, naked mole dog bone greaves, I don't think anyone's gonna want to wear those.
Am considering drawing out significant events in paint for comedic effect, gonna put up a poll and let y'all decide if you want that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:12:12 pm by Tablen Arue »
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: No mans land challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:09:59 am »

good luck, and have fun!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »

How badly did forgetting to trade affect you? It's interesting you mentioned it because I remember for the first few months I played this game I always neglected trading at first, and usually it was never too bad. At the same time I always blessed myself with a nice location, which you said you didn't. Also nice name! Anything with 'dagger' in it is a good name to me haha!
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:03:21 am »

How badly did forgetting to trade affect you? It's interesting you mentioned it because I remember for the first few months I played this game I always neglected trading at first, and usually it was never too bad. At the same time I always blessed myself with a nice location, which you said you didn't. Also nice name! Anything with 'dagger' in it is a good name to me haha!

I got 3 more migrant waves before winter ended, on top of that I couldn't make honey farms because I was in a cold biome (I tried though before realizing) and I couldn't fish. That leaves farming with base seeds (since I hit play now) and hunting which I still don't know how to do (after years of playing  ::) ) Luckily Noone starved but I easily could've ran out of food.
I also like to trade for another pickaxe early on so I can start training a third miner.
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »

I got 3 more migrant waves before winter ended, on top of that I couldn't make honey farms because I was in a cold biome (I tried though before realizing) and I couldn't fish. That leaves farming with base seeds (since I hit play now) and hunting which I still don't know how to do (after years of playing  ::) ) Luckily Noone starved but I easily could've ran out of food.
I also like to trade for another pickaxe early on so I can start training a third miner.

You do hunting by getting "ranger" or "hunter" dwarves, then they'll hunt automatically if you didn't wall off, or make a crossbow and some bolts, then enable hunting on some dorf.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.