Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: ETA for the next release  (Read 21866 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: ETA for the next release
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »

I don't know, is DF with some serious game-breaking bug or save corruption still DF?
I know minor quirky bugs can be spun into quasi-features, but some people don't really enjoy putting up with major unexpected issues.

To each their own though, I suppose, it's not like $current_version is gonna poof out of existence as soon as $next_version drops.

It's not like I'm starting anything serious until I test out all the new features.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 11:34:03 pm »

To each on their own. I've only even just briefly tested time to make discoveries this month, and scholars were introduced the year before I started playing DF.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:07 am »

In the past 6 months or so, I've often wished that Toady released "beta" versions -- just builds that are broken, but that demonstrate what he's working on.  I don't think it's actually a good idea (because he doesn't have the capacity to handle the inevitable problems it would cause), but for me it would be great fun.  It's one of the drawbacks of having a kind of art-game, with a single artist, as opposed to a community built game.  To be honest, before I saw DF, I don't think I really understood the benefit of a single artist building a game before.  I do now, so I don't really begrudge it.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 07:35:06 am »

Yup. A single artist, unchained by a corporate marketing department, can keep building the game for a long time. As long as it's stable enough to play by the end of each mini-cycle, you'll pretty much get a new game out of every release.

Jairl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »

In the past 6 months or so, I've often wished that Toady released "beta" versions -- just builds that are broken, but that demonstrate what he's working on.  I don't think it's actually a good idea (because he doesn't have the capacity to handle the inevitable problems it would cause), but for me it would be great fun.  It's one of the drawbacks of having a kind of art-game, with a single artist, as opposed to a community built game.  To be honest, before I saw DF, I don't think I really understood the benefit of a single artist building a game before.  I do now, so I don't really begrudge it.

Well, you also will run into the "single artist" problem when releasing 'beta' versions.

I am sure Toady has enough difficulty letting go and releasing the beta versions of the full release that we currently get.

To the artist, it isn't ready for public consumption until it is ready... and getting negative feedback about incomplete works... well, that hurts the soul of the artist.

SURE, it'd be fun as heck... but I can see his perspective...

Unfortunately, I must hype the train.... ETA for next release is -8 days!

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 05:14:21 pm »

So odds are if you want to actually play the new update long-term on a relatively 'stable' version, you might be waiting until 2018, I think.
It's not gonna stop me because I'm dying to try out the new features and I'm used to trying out bleeding edge stuff, but still.

This is what I do each year. I wait until 3 or so patches after the big release to start playing. Then I get a bit bored after a few months and wait again till the next winter lol.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 03:47:42 pm »

Pretty much the same. I guess I'm a Veteran On-And-Off DF Player, having gone through the cycle two or three times.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:14 pm »

Unless the first release makes a demon possess my computer I couldn't care less about the bugs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 05:16:53 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories.
No offense to Tarn, but I get the impression that this release got away from him. It sounds as if it was supposed to be a brief, half a year affair, and that by this point he'd rather be working on myth-gen.

Regardless, I'd say this yields a two-month ETA. It's probably going to be bug-fixing from here on out.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories.
No offense to Tarn, but I get the impression that this release got away from him. It sounds as if it was supposed to be a brief, half a year affair, and that by this point he'd rather be working on myth-gen.

Regardless, I'd say this yields a two-month ETA. It's probably going to be bug-fixing from here on out.
This is one of the last of the 'nuggets' according to the report. Eta doesn't seem too have changed from 'October possibly'.

What about this report suggests a delay? I'd say checking if your spies, which are integral to this release, actually work in Fortress Mode and cleaning up reveals is a bit of a no-brainer to deal with before the release.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:13 pm »

What about this report suggests a delay? I'd say checking if your spies, which are integral to this release, actually work in Fortress Mode and cleaning up reveals is a bit of a no-brainer to deal with before the release.
This bit:
Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories. And there were lots of tells... still are many, but it is better.
I'd have thought he'd get to them earlier. It's precisely the fact that it's a no-brainer that worries me.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 05:56:56 pm »

This bit:
Mostly been playing around with post-world-generation secret agents lately, since most of the testing I'd done up to this point had been on their world generation histories. And there were lots of tells... still are many, but it is better.
I'd have thought he'd get to them earlier. It's precisely the fact that it's a no-brainer that worries me.
Earlier than what? He's one guy, he has a list of stuff that needs doing for the release and is doing it. Better now than post-release when the bug-tracker explodes.

Spies are primarily a worldgen device to carry rumours of artifacts about. Fortress Mode reveals are basically a minor UI issue.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:01:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 08:13:48 pm »

Doesn't really matter to me either way. Delays are a natural part of game development and I'll understand if I have to wait a month or two longer than I expected.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 11:17:24 am »

Hmm, my guess on the next 'update on cleaning away nuggets' will probably be the 6th given there's a usually 6-8 day delay between messages lately.

If a spanner doesn't get thrown in the works that is.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »

Hmm, my guess on the next 'update on cleaning away nuggets' will probably be the 6th given there's a usually 6-8 day delay between messages lately.

If a spanner doesn't get thrown in the works that is.
The 8th, probably. It'd be 6-8 days after the "Future of the fortress and Bay 12 Report are Here" message, which is due today (Oct 1st). Not that Toady ever sticks to the rules once they seem to be a pattern...

Edit
Ha, and there he goes breaking the rules already... :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:21:14 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13