Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Age of Empires IV  (Read 5138 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Age of Empires IV
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:44:10 pm »

Oh yes, the title was not a typo. (Announce Trailer)
Official Site. Not much here yet.

It looks like it's being developed by Relic Entertainment, makers of the Company of Heroes series and Dawn of War (including the controversial DoW III) and being published by Microsoft as a Windows 10 exclusive.

There doesn't appear to be anything else on the game, and I personally would advise against getting too hyped until the gameplay is revealed based off of Relic's apparent track record. But I suppose we'll see.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires IV
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:45:14 pm »

... was the horse not dead enough? No? Keep beating, you say? Ell den, gimme dat beaty stick, wez gon' fix it up nice and gud fer yeh!

Ah well. Maybe relic'll look at the DoW3 thing and do right by AoE as recompense. I'm sure a lotta' folks would be willing to excuse a DoW entry shittier than 2 if it meant a solid AoE game.

Alternatively, we have an AoE game where a buncha' feral orkz rok in and we get to have a game of them vs AoE level tech. The Age of Myths guys could join it, too!

Uh. Actually, I think I'd be more interested in that than an AoE 4. Like, a jump all stars or smash brothers, except RTS and Relic? Could get behind that as a concept.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »

Using AoE III as a "console" windows exclusive worked great before so makes total sense they are doing it again with 4.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:10:25 pm »

PLEASE don't be a MOBA PLEASE don't be a MOBA PLEASE don't be a MOBA PLEASE don't be a MOBA PLEASE don't be a MOBA

I'm not really sure what they can do with this, to be honest. The classic AoE formula, that being 1 and 2, has not aged well. Games like Rise of Nations excel on the whole civilization building and depth of strategy front, and more combat oriented ones like Red Alert have much more depth in combat strategy. AoE 3 was a noble attempt to break the mold, and I quite enjoyed it myself, but I'm not sure if I'd call it a great classic RTS game, and it was also quite flawed and rigid, not allowing the same level of strategy as prior games or the other games I mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:12:18 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:59:43 pm »

I dunno. Empire Earth and Rise of Nations already did it best. Can they really top the giants of the genre?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:23 pm »

...we are speaking about Age Of Empires. The one which basically created the genre. It is the giantest of all the giants.
And I do not think it's going to be "through the ages" like EE or RoN, rather just 1800s-2000s, or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

JohnnyYuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:05:17 pm »

Empire Earth already did what they promised years ago. We'll get a pretty generic RTS that is in no way better than old ones except for having better graphics.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 11:39:25 pm »

...What? No. From my memory of playing the games...

Age of Empires I was Classical era. The entire game was the classical era.
Age of Empires II was the Medieval era. Starting from the dark ages to, uh, I want to say early renaissance?
Age of Empires III is the early modern era, starting from roughly the Age of Discovery (I think) to the late 18th century.

The artwork in the AoEIII box posted by Kot suggests that at the time, they planned to have Age of Empires IV take place likely during the World Wars, and for V to take place in the future.

The franchise's "gimmick" was that each game moved in the franchise moved forward an era, but went into each era thoroughly. Versus Empire Earth's or Rise of Nations' all-eras-in-one game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 11:50:14 pm »

Oh yes, the title was not a typo. (Announce Trailer)
Official Site. Not much here yet.
Could be neat!

being published by Microsoft as a Windows 10 exclusive.
RIP interest. Good job wasting a possible comeback on a useless exclusive, Microsoft. Its less bad than claiming you can run an RTS on the xbox, at least?

...They're also releasing an updated AoE  1 on the windows store as well. Put it on a proper games platform MS if you want it to sell, not one you are hiding on win10. Get over it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:00:59 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:31:01 am »

I have been playing through Age of Empires 1 recently, since I bought it when t came out but never finished all the campaigns. I found a mod called the "UPatch HD" that lets the game be played in widescreen with a higher resolution as well as a number of bug fixers for issues that remainded (some A.I. issues, technology and tech tree problems).
The remake may be interesting but the graphical changes they've made seem too dark to me. I like Age of Empires 1 style because it's bright and easy to make things out.

As for another Age of Empires game. I haven't really thought about new entries since the last one was "Age of Empires Online". The expansions for Age of Empires II have been well recieved for the most part from what I've read but I don't think I'm really interested in an AOE game with the mechanics that are common in strategy games at the moment. 4 resources, exploring random asymmetrical maps and extensive research tech trees across 12 factions with 4 ages.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 08:36:40 am »

Relic Entertainment was good, for CoH 1, but they fucking rammed that into the ground ( I used to work on the EIR and OMG mods for CoH ) and the new games have a certain quality and blandness... (Looking at the Warhammer40k games).

But hey, some AoE is better then none : )

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:07 am »

Windows 10 is what kills it for me.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:20 am »

I'm not really a fan of generic RTS games, apart from graphics and eras, they all work the same way. Hardcore strategy games are what I like. Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific allows you to control every single ship that fought in WW2, War in the West and War in the East almost every military unit on the western and eastern front respectively, Bombing the Reich allows you to bomb thousands of real factories in Germany or England or defend them, John Tiller's games are great at depicting particular battles/campaigns in different scales. This, on the other hand, will probably be quite generic, like RTS usually are.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:29 am »

...They're also releasing an updated AoE  1 on the windows store as well. Put it on a proper games platform MS if you want it to sell, not one you are hiding on win10. Get over it.
I also heard something about Age Of Empires II: Definitive Edition (yup, another one after HD, because fuck Steam) and Age Of Empires III: Definitive Edition, all of those exclusive on Windows 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4