Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Age of Empires IV  (Read 5149 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires IV
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 11:10:46 am »

...They're also releasing an updated AoE  1 on the windows store as well. Put it on a proper games platform MS if you want it to sell, not one you are hiding on win10. Get over it.
I also heard something about Age Of Empires II: Definitive Edition (yup, another one after HD, because fuck Steam) and Age Of Empires III: Definitive Edition, all of those exclusive on Windows 10.
What a waste of money. As much as MS might want to pretend, Windows is not a tablet, their store is irrelevant compared to how many games you can play without it, and the last time we saw someone attempt a UWP game is had little to no options and shit performance.

It'll show up on steam or elsewhere a few months after its exclusivity fails to impress.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:16:38 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:25 pm »

I'm excited, even with the warning signs. Not sure what I'm looking for in the game, though - by all accounts, AoE 2 is still a very attractive game with active development and everything you really want in a classic RTS experience. I'm sure its popularity is what got AoE 4 greenlit, but I'd be very surprised if they can pull off something comparable. They could do something completely different with the title - something more like Empire Earth, for example - but that's not really what Age of Empires is.

With that said, the moment I hear things about controlling squads of units or removing base building/resource management, I'm going to run right off.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »

I mean, squads could not be that bad. You can basically achieve that in AoE2 with control groups (and you should, micro is god).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »

*Sees AoE 4 announced, gets hyped.
*Sees that it's a windows 10 exclusive, hype dies. Single tear.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 04:34:33 pm »

ptw

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 06:50:58 pm »

How do you turn this on
Coinage exclusive shelby cobra exclusively for widows ten.

Joke out of the way I like AoE
Oh why not one more
WOLOLO

Did I say its exclusive.
××××××××××××××××××

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »

No amount of wololo will make me change to Win10 right now. Maybe if it somehow gets better later on. But now? No.

So goodbye AoE4, and thanks for the wololos.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:46 am »

No amount of wololo will make me change to Win10 right now. Maybe if it somehow gets better later on. But now? No.

So goodbye AoE4, and thanks for the wololos.
What about w01010?
Maybe. Maybe.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 01:29:48 pm »

Not sure why the win10 hate, but I'm tentatively excited. Haven't played a good RTS in a while.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »

Not sure why the win10 hate, but I'm tentatively excited. Haven't played a good RTS in a while.
Because windows 10 exclusive means MS is using AoE as an excuse to shove people into using the windows store.

Which is shit for games, and means the game will sell far less than it would if they'd put on a better platform. The last time we had a notable UWP game it ran like crap and could not be fixed because uwp has shit for options menu support.

See here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156673.msg6846136#msg6846136
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:18:09 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 02:28:55 pm »

"Windows 10 exclusive" does not mean it's UWP.
It means it's Windows 10 exclusive. As in, "it can only run on Windows 10 computers" and not "it is exclusively distributed via the Windows Store."

Microsoft does release games on steam. Age of Empires II HD, Halo Wars, Quantum Break, etc.. I'm not saying it's impossible for AoE4 to be exclusive to the Windows Store, but just because it's exclusive to Windows 10 does not mean it's only UWP. I would reserve judgement for that until after there's a definitive answer. There's definitely a real chance it'll be UWP-only, but it's pretty silly to judge a game so severely when you have literally no idea about the thing you're judging it for.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 03:24:04 pm »

Nothing wrong with windows 10. Hate the 'windows store' if you must but Win10 is kinda awesome.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 03:41:44 pm »

"Windows 10 exclusive" does not mean it's UWP.
It means it's Windows 10 exclusive. As in, "it can only run on Windows 10 computers" and not "it is exclusively distributed via the Windows Store."

Microsoft does release games on steam. Age of Empires II HD, Halo Wars, Quantum Break, etc.. I'm not saying it's impossible for AoE4 to be exclusive to the Windows Store, but just because it's exclusive to Windows 10 does not mean it's only UWP. I would reserve judgement for that until after there's a definitive answer. There's definitely a real chance it'll be UWP-only, but it's pretty silly to judge a game so severely when you have literally no idea about the thing you're judging it for.
Perhaps.

Not sure why else they'd announce it as an exclusive though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 04:03:25 pm »

AoE 1-2 were great in there time, crap and meh after a few years if you dropped the nostalgia. 3, however, was just crap. Going by this pattern, 4 will give me extreme diarrhea.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 04:44:37 am »

I've seen three broad categories of response to the announcement.

1) Concern that this is just a cash-grab and the game will be terrible. Which is valid, it might well be and that's my biggest concern, too.

2) Enthusiasm, because Relic are certainly capable of making good games, and another AoE game in the spirit of AoEII but generally improved and modernised would be pretty damn cool.

3) Windows 10 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, which I really don't understand at all. I don't remember this happening when games started dropping XP support. Do people also flip out when new console titles are announced that don't support the PS3...? Game devs work for the most recent platforms, and that is for better or worse Win10,

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4