Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Doesn't like some Colors...? Color Mismatch  (Read 2810 times)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
DF Doesn't like some Colors...? Color Mismatch
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:20 am »

So I've been trying to make my own color palette and a few colors do not match my art program's swatch or the one that is displayed right within Masterwork. I've tried getting a slightly muted darker brown to not luck. I can't get medium or darker purples to show up at all without them looking nearly black. The purple in game is so dark in game you'll have to zoom in on the image to tell it's even purple (800%+ depending on settings on your moniter). I'm also not getting  yellow to be the yellow I'm after; they turn gold, peach/flesh colored. I was hoping to use a slightly more orange kind of gold for my yellow or even a muted creamy kind of yellow (pictured here, the orange yellow tone I want isn't). I'm not sure how to get the colors closer to what they look like outside the game. Brown won't go any darker then what you see in game no matter what shade of brown I'm using either was wanting something a bit darker then the swatch shown...or even a reddish brown; not super reddish looking just a tad.

I'll add a picture of what they look like in game and what they look like in my program with their RGB codes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Doesn't like some Colors...? Color Mismatch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:03:22 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Color

The colors colorize the tileset tiles. That means, to get exactly one of the 16 colors, you need pure white pixels on the tilesets. Elaborate graphical tilesets like the one in Masterwork usually have various shades of grey. So an already dark purple applied to a dark shade of grey will of course be almost black.

Try a tileset with completely white pixels without any shading (like the default vanilla tileset) to see if that gives you the colors you'd expect.
Consider putting the tileset you want to use with the color scheme in another layer in your graphics program to preview how it will look. IIRC putting the color layer on multiply on top should show you how it looks like in game.

See the wiki page linked above for more details.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Re: DF Doesn't like some Colors...? Color Mismatch
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Color

The colors colorize the tileset tiles. That means, to get exactly one of the 16 colors, you need pure white pixels on the tilesets. Elaborate graphical tilesets like the one in Masterwork usually have various shades of grey. So an already dark purple applied to a dark shade of grey will of course be almost black.

Try a tileset with completely white pixels without any shading (like the default vanilla tileset) to see if that gives you the colors you'd expect.
Consider putting the tileset you want to use with the color scheme in another layer in your graphics program to preview how it will look. IIRC putting the color layer on multiply on top should show you how it looks like in game.

See the wiki page linked above for more details.

I applied various shades of purple though which is kinda the problem. Other then that really light purple shown on my color palette ANY other purple looks black I figured lightening it would've helped since the one I show in my image is much lighter then the one I had started with. The purple I show in the image is far from being dark it's a medium shade but that's beside the point. That doesn't really explain the issue with brown not being dark and yellow only being peach in color or the color I show in game. I cannot get any other shade of yellow, not even a dark one...the whole thing starting as grey makes sense to adjust things but with how it looks it shouldn't be causing any of those issues with yellow or brown if anything I should be getting a really dark brown which I don't. I tried putting it through a few tilesets and it looked either like this in shade or way too pale and washed out...I would go back to default but having used iconsets for so long I can't really go back to it and read a thing. x.x