Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinnortality ~ Evil megacorporate propaganda simulator  (Read 2737 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Spinnortality ~ Evil megacorporate propaganda simulator
« on: August 22, 2017, 03:38:17 pm »

Game website (for the broad strokes)
Creator's blog (for some interesting articles on specific gameplay stuff)

A game (currently in development) about doing shady corporate things. Like committing political sabotage, influencing public opinion through propaganda (tailored to the specific culture being targeted), and marketing creepy privacy-invading products to the masses.

I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time. Thoughts?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Spinnortality ~ Evil megacorporate propaganda simulator
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:49:28 pm »

At first blush it reminds me of Arms Dealer. A menu intensive game that's light on visuals and big on text. I guess my biggest feel is: where's the flavor?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »

It reminds me quite a bit of Endgame: Singularity, which has a similar focus on spreading propaganda. I hope this game manages to make the mechanics representing these things more engaging, because I feel like Singularity's gameplay gets a bit stale and repetitive toward the, uh... endgame. I don't mind a mostly-text interface at all, as long as it's used to create some interesting decisions.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:14:19 am »

It reminds me quite a bit of Endgame: Singularity, which has a similar focus on spreading propaganda. I hope this game manages to make the mechanics representing these things more engaging, because I feel like Singularity's gameplay gets a bit stale and repetitive toward the, uh... endgame. I don't mind a mostly-text interface at all, as long as it's used to create some interesting decisions.
Same.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JamesPatton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:37:51 am »

Hi, I'm the developer. Thanks for posting about my game!

Good question about flavour - it's something I'm also very concerned with. Right now the player receives random events each turn which force them to make a decision - it could be "Do you want to hire some interns fulltime?" or "Do you want to help fund schools in the third world to increase stability there?" These events make up a lot of the flavour of the game: they let you impact the world in a more direct, interesting way and the fact you make a choice means you're stamping your identity on the globe to some extent.

The other half of the flavour is newspaper articles. Sometimes an event will happen or a product you launch will cause some effect in the world at large, and the player will see a news/blog article about it. I'm hoping this will make it feel like player actions are more than just "Click these menu items and watch the numbers go up", but that it will feel a bit more like you're affecting things outside the company and causing ripples in the wider world.

But if anyone has any ideas about flavour then please let me know - this is one area that I want the game to shine in, ideally.

Oh, also, if you're interested in the game you can go to spinnortality.com and sign up to the newsletter to be informed about updates and when it'll be released and so on. :)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:42:19 am »

I'd like to see where this goes, but otherwise I don't have much to say at the moment, other than it seems like one of those "mother country simulators, but with a dark twist ".

JamesPatton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:00 am »

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know the game is now on Kickstarter until Dec. 13th!

There's also a free demo you can play.

You can find the Kickstarter here. Any pledges would be really appreciated! :)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know the game is now on Kickstarter until Dec. 13th!

Thank you for this, I have no money but maybe if someone sends a message to Donald trump he might fund it, being as fond as he is of shady business dealings.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:23 am »

Thank you for this, I have no money but maybe if someone sends a message to Donald trump he might fund it, being as fond as he is of shady business dealings.

I found the game to be strangely addictive.
It looks like the developers are near their Kickstarter goal, which may be motivation to push them over the top during this last week of their funding drive.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:33:28 am »

I actually replayed Endgame : Singularity recently, and I found it quite ridiculous how at endgame, even in the easiest difficulty, my time capsules at the bottom of the ocean, on the moon and in the far reaches of the solar system were all found within a week, along with my other bases, leaving me unable to complete my extra-dimensional base. It's hard to believe that you'd have to self-destruct bases like that, when I'm pretty sure that if this happened in real life, it would take us at least several months, maybe years, to reach consensus on what we are looking at, and at least as twice the time before we send a mission to investigate. And the mission itself would also take a lot of time to get there. All in all, that would be enough time for the player to finish the game safely.

Edit : I started playing the Spinnortality demo, and named my company "Paradigm". After playing for a bit, I got this message :

So I'm guessing that both me and the devs thought that "Paradigm" would make for a cool techy corp name ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:20:47 am by Sirian »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:34 am »

Or you could take over your own company which sounds game breaking but might just be !!fun!!

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:48:02 pm »

Wow this demo is really really fun! I am very excited about the direction this game is heading in, kudos to the devs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 02:11:55 am »

Fun Fact: If a nation in Chaos gains a point of prosperity, it breaks the game.