Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need creature sprites for Armok Vision!  (Read 3532 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
I need creature sprites for Armok Vision!
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:58:25 am »

Okay, so here's the deal.
I'm working on a program that shows fortresses in glorious 3D, with creatures all shown as sprites, colored and scaled appropriately, as shown in exhibit A:

Problem is, I have artwork for the civilized races, a couple animals and scary beasts, and that's about it.

That's why I'm asking for help.

I'm not much of an artist (much more of a programmer) but we have plenty of great artists here that would definitely be up to the task, if willing.

How it works:

All sprites in Armok Vision are made up of one or more layers that can optionally be colored and turned on/off depending on what the creature is wearing, or hairstyle, etc.

The whole collection is then scaled according to the size of the creature, according to whatever base size is written down as being the base size of the creature. For example: I re-use much of the same sprites for humans, elfs, goblins, and elephant-men, with the base size of the sprite being the same for all of them (Slightly smaller than a dwarf, because they're drawn slightly smaller than how the dwarf is drawn) but then the sprite is scaled up a little for humans, a little less for goblins and elves, and a lot for elephant men.

Not all sprites need layers, though, but for creatures that can have different variations in skin or hair color, it gives some nice variation.

For coordination, I've made a sheet with all the creatures in DF, found here:

Sheet

If you want to try some artwork, just PM me your email, and I can give you write access, and you can claim whichever sprite you want to do.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:07:51 am by Japa »

Norman does minecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need creature sprites for Armok Vision!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:32:02 pm »

I can do some
But I think i should only do the uglier creatures like gremlins, goblins ect

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:43:07 pm »

That's fine, all creatures are equal in Armok's eyes.

For humanoids, an easy shortcut is to just make the head, and use either a dwarf or a human body, whichever fits better.

All the existing sprites are found here: https://github.com/JapaMala/armok-vision/tree/master/Assets/CreatureSprites

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:12:18 am »

I've added a link to a spreadsheet to the OP to allow us to coordinate our efforts, repeated here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-HKt0uaE8r-qtxK_5LLmllO8sUNJmwQQYwKVSivfnZ0/edit?usp=sharing

Also bump, because there's 766 different creatures in the game, and one man can't do all of them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 01:56:05 pm »

Could I try? I can't commit to anything, but it seems like a nice side-project. Could you tell me the specifics, like what size to make it and any additional information I need to provide?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 02:13:33 pm »

Pick any creature not claimed from this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-HKt0uaE8r-qtxK_5LLmllO8sUNJmwQQYwKVSivfnZ0/edit?usp=sheets_home&ths=true

It has some links to samples as well.

Dwarfs are drawn on a 256x256 sprite, so you can use that as a base for sizing. If you're drawing something much larger than a dwarf, you can use a bigger sprite, and the reverse for something smaller. In the end, I scale them proportional to the area in pixels compared to that of a dwarf.

If you want the sprite to take the colors from DF (in case the animal in DF varies color) then you should make it near grayscale (you can add some coloring, like yellowish hilights and bluish shadows look nice). 128 gray should be the primary color in that case, Otherwise, use whatever colors you want.

A thick black outline helps sprites still be readable when far away, so that's desired. See the dwarf sprites as an example.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:17:57 pm »

Cool!
I'll take keas, since they seem pretty common in fortresses.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 04:47:23 am »

I'm sure this isnt up to your high standards (those are all really nice wow)

but "Angel duck" made me laugh. A lot.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:51:15 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:24:20 am »

Yeah, that's any vault guardian that's duck shaped.

Honestly, I love it.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »

Its fearfully messy cause im in a hurry but look its Bert the giant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 02:37:20 am »

Wow this is an amazing thread, I hope more people see this.

Ray_Anor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:25:32 am »

If you want to try some artwork, just PM me your email, and I can give you write access, and you can claim whichever sprite you want to do.

Hey! I'm think (and work) about a three years for new tileset... Shortly - i want to make a big tiles (was started from 40x40).
About a month i really want to make a Stonesense graphics.
As are you, i'm not very good at drawing, i'm creative man with spread skills of programmer.
And now about a week i was find good (as i think) way to realise that. At first I need a curves, don't pixels to realise that plan.
Today I did find your topic. I recommend you ask for curves arts. If you have a curves you may select a size that you need. After some pixelhunting you will receive what you need finally.

P.S. Sorry, I'm not so good at english.

P.P.S. My last example of dwarves.png below in spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:03:06 am by Ray_Anor »