Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Youtube Video Essays  (Read 2448 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Youtube Video Essays
« on: August 26, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »

Anyone else on Bay12 addicted to Youtube video essays? It's kind of an interesting format, one that couldn't have existed in the abundance it does now without platforms like Youtube.

A few of my favorite video essay creators:
  • Every Frame A Painting - One of THE best channels on Youtube, producing video essays on the art and science of filmmaking. Watch: Buster Keaton - The Art of the Gag
  • Super Eyepatch Wolf - Analysis of anime and animation in general, with an emphasis on what good shows do right. Watch: The Fall of The Simpsons: How it Happened
  • Super Bunny Hop - This channel is mostly focused on journalism and game reviews, but occasionally puts out some pretty thought-provoking video essays on games and game design. Watch: The Importance of Quiet Time

What are some of your favorites?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube Video Essays
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »

I've watched some of Every Frame A Painting and Bunnyhop before. I particularly like EFAP, because I don't know much of the technical details about films and they do good breakdowns about scene construction, framing, all that jazz.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »

ptw
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:06 am »

There's Noah Caldwell-Gervais who does a fairly large amount of video essays of variable length (ranging from around 10 minutes to 2 whole hours or more) for various video games, here's a shorter one about Jalopy you can sample to get a feel for the style.

Lindsay Ellis does some great ones about film these days, including a series about analyzing Michael Bay's Transformers through a variety of critical lenses and another interesting one about Mel Brooks satirizing Nazis and the questions thereof.

And also Hbomberguy does some great video essay work now and then about a variety of topics, such as this very good analysis of the LISA series (he also quasi-famously did a 2 hour one about how BBC's Sherlock was awful and a couple of others).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:42:25 pm »

Adorkable Misogyny and Sexy Born Yestarday are both well made, yet any description I think of feels I am getting in the way of them. I will say the first heavily features Big Bang Theory and the second Tron Legacy and 5th Element. They feel like a TV Tropes page with a voice, and draws out the conclusions a fair analysis would.

The Unfulfilled Potential of Videogames fulfills it's clickbait title and delivers a thorough look on what I myself feel when browsing E3 and reveals in the gaming industry.
Awesome With Autism

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:55:38 pm »

Historia Civilis covers parts of mostly Roman but occasionally Greek and more modern history in a way I've never really seen before. It's got a coverage of ancient politics and society that's highly detailed. For example, did you know that Julius Caesar rose through his career as a populist reformer sourced in his term as an Aedile, which did a lot of things but most notably held festivals for the urban poor? Or that in Caesar's term as consul, he politically outmaneuvered his counterpart Bibulus to the extent that people started calling their year the consulship of "Julius and Caesar" instead? Or that Sparta's downfall as a civilization was probably caused by setting up a political system so absurdly biased towards conservative old men that they accidentally withered themselves out of existence, the whole time paranoid of a slave revolt that never ended up happening?

There's also battle analysis videos, which I find less interesting but that any milsimers amongst you would probably enjoy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »

Just discovered the gem of a channel Ahoy. Documentaries about "video games and their impact on culture: history, influence and artefacts of design." according to their Patreon. Incredible stunning level of quality in visuals, sound, and presentation.
Awesome With Autism

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »

Just discovered the gem of a channel Ahoy. Documentaries about "video games and their impact on culture: history, influence and artefacts of design." according to their Patreon. Incredible stunning level of quality in visuals, sound, and presentation.
I have to also recommend Ahoy. They're fantastic. They did a fantastic bit of investigative 'journalism' on the origins of Polybius, and Ahoy probably found the guy.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:52:48 am »

Ahoy also has his "iconic arms" series which goes heavily into detail about some famous guns in media and games, explaining their history and mechanics.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 12:16:13 am »

Mark Brown
There is so much here. Here is a ve about detective mechanics in games. Here is a breakdown of all the goodness of Zelda boss dungeons. There is a lot more on his channel.
Awesome With Autism

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:57 pm »

Have some videos on film special effects. I've been exploring a lot of channels that make video essays on filmmaking and film analysis, and these are a couple of my favorites, from the same channel.

What are some of you guys' favorite film-related channels?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:30 am »

What's the opposite of addicted? I can't stand youtube essays. I feel like any information that could be relayed in a lengthy video could be conveyed much more succinctly with text and a few photos.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 11:38:34 am »

Sometimes you need to prove a point with a video. If you want to explain why a certain cutscene (or movie scene) is great for example, your message will be conveyed much for effectively if you actually show the scene rather than describing it and posting screenshots. It also allows the viewer to decide for themselves if they actually agree with you.

Nother example. Say your topic is a certain video game (say Cuphead for example), and you're trying to argue that the game is super hardcore. As an example of this difficulty, you decide to show off the tutorial and you post this clip. Though you did end up struggling a lot there, it's very clear that it is your fault and not the game's. This technically undermines your point, but that isn't always a bad thing. Bad points should be undermined! How many times have you read a pretentious essay explaining to you why a certain book is a masterpiece only for you to finally read it and realize it's crap. The themes the author was talking about were barely there and the dialogue, plot, prose, and characters were dull. Video evidence is stronger than a photo, which itself is stronger than a quote.

I will say though that many of the things people perform video essays on could be performed written instead. The only real reason why I watch them honestly is because they cover topics that more professional academics consider themselves "too good for". If you want an in-depth critique of video games, you have to watch Joseph Anderson. You can't just google "in-depth critique of x" because you'll either get crap or nothing at all most of the time. I'm not saying that good written video game critiques aren't out there (here's one of Nier:Automata, though you have to have played/watched the game to actually appreciate it), but they are hard to find.

If you want to see a video essay that takes advantage of the fact that it's a video essay. I would recommend Why is it So Hard to Remember What Happens in Transformers? by Lindsay Ellis. She talks about the delicate balancing act of making a frame interesting enough to keep you entertained, but not making it too exciting to prevent your brain from being overloaded. As you can guess, Michael Bay fails at this. If you already know her and aren't a fan of her political views don't worry, they're barely present in this one. It gets going at around the 3 minute mark in case you get bored and are tempted to quit before watching the entire video. Tell me what you think.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 02:17:11 pm »

Damn, just started watching every frame a painting... that shit is EXCELLENT.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 12:47:39 pm »

The Ethics of Looking And The “Harmless” Peeping Tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSiwHnV5L0

I didn't know so many movies had this problem. I guess that's a benefit of living under a rock. This Pop Culture Detective video had many interesting critiques.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: [1] 2