Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Murkknife - 1000 Dwarves; One tile.  (Read 12400 times)

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murkknife - 1000 Dwarves; One tile.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 04:11:26 pm »

Posting to watch. Also, dwarf me too please :D. A mechanist, if possible. Love makin' some traps.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »

Using clay to build walls...

... I should be doing that on my 1x1 >_>. Excellent idea, not sure why I forgot it.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 05:09:38 pm »

Using clay to build walls...

... I should be doing that on my 1x1 >_>. Excellent idea, not sure why I forgot it.

It's a huge boon; getting a proper defense up before the first season's end will stop all sorts of nasties from ripping out your dwarves' goulies. You'll also see me burrowing through the cavern layers and starting up a magma pump-stack (The FPS-safe version) much earlier than most builds. This is for the glass industry. Glass does a whole bunch of stone-like things clay cannot and I like to replace stone wherever possible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:14:15 pm by Heliman »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 05:31:30 pm »

Why not just use minecarts to transport magma? Not much of a surface to flood.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »

Well you see, I've got some traps in mind...

Also, I want an obsidian casting facility eventually.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 07:52:27 pm »

If you're thinking of a magmacannon, it might be wise to use a reservoir or a pumpstack for each cannon barrel.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 11:59:06 pm »

12th of Obsidian, 554

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just when I was beginning to respect my fellow settlers- Why are there camels on the roof, Obok!? This entire caravan could be purged any day by our accursed 'kinsmen' from the Mountainhome, and these doddering beasts can just waltz right in? We talked about this- your job is to take your axe and kill things. Needing some stress relief, I went out with him to go take care of the humpy bastards. I didn't want to bloody my pickaxe, so I just started punching them until they stopped moving.

It was a good day.

1st Galena, 555

" " I was told. What.

Who in the hell are these people!?

To provide some context: Some Dwarves appeared outside the fortress. The damn idiots gave us a heart-attack. Every dwarf was on the wall, all three of our meager copper axes at the ready. I thought the mountain-homes had come to finally put an end to us. Apparently, they were just the next wave of settlers. They had some bullshite note of approval from the king, along with a half-hearted congratulatory letter on our successful settling. Apparently I'm some sort of 'savior', and the other six that settled with me are 'fated disciples'. What sort of evangelical hogwash is that supposed to mean!?

Am I supposed to be flattered? Because I'm finding it beyond unnerving. I have no idea what that madman is planning, but all this religious nonsense sounds about as healthy as an alcohol shortage. In the meantime, these new kinsmen introduced themselves with some funny foreign names, but otherwise seemed normal. I explained the truth of our stay to them; that most of what the king says is garbage and we're just trying to survive. Once they got the point (Via a lot of yelling), I sent them to help with the defenses.  I swear to Rithzam, if a single one of these bastards calls me 'savior' again, I'm going to ram my pickaxe so far up their-

16th of Limestone, 555

It has been a full year since we settled. Somehow, we managed to become 'The Promised Settlers' in our king's eyes. Better than dying, I guess. Most of my work has been downstairs, though I've developed a habit of coming up now and again to take out some frustration on the local animal population. The walls are briefly pregnable at the moment; I decided the temporary vulnerability was worth the risk if it meant improving the wall's effectiveness in the long run. Dev suggested paving the outside to prevent tree growth. It is odd that a carpenter would know so much about preventing tree growth, but I suppose it takes a special kind of hatred for wood to be a high master at cutting the stuff to bits.

A caravan came today from the mountainhome; I don't know what for. We don't have anything worth buying. The guards, however, are all fully armored. The sight of their weapons gets my beard bristling. I threw some gemstones we didn't need into the trading depot and bought some essentials. At the very least, the caravan leader and I had a laugh about my 'divinity'. He came over to me with the intent to take the piss out of the 'great As' that the king had been blabbing about. I was only too happy to let him. At least one man in the world who doesn't buy into this crap.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:09:31 am by Heliman »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 12:27:06 am »

I take it you forgot about miner/military conflict?

*looks to the ground*

And ...It's too early to have cave adaption, so that is definitely grass. Thought you didn't want any.
For future reference, you need 2 rainfall or less to not get either shrubs or trees iirc.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 12:46:28 am »

May I get my dwarfs profile?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:08 am »

May I get my dwarfs profile?
Sure!

I take it you forgot about miner/military conflict?

No, I just like my expedition leader punching things to death.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:23:51 am by Heliman »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 04:45:56 am »

I'd like a dwarf too! Make me one of your glassmakers, perhaps? With a custom title of "glazier".

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 05:16:36 am »

Could I claim a free fighter dwarf ? If none is available, the next one to show up and be drafted.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 08:34:40 am »

Dev suggested paving the outside to prevent tree growth. It is odd that a carpenter would know so much about preventing tree growth, but I suppose it takes a special kind of hatred for wood to be a high master at cutting the stuff to bits.

I knew I couldn't keep my secret forever: I secretly hate trees with a passion.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 11:46:31 am »

I'll take a bonecarver. This looks interesting, I've wanted to do this for a while but I'm burned out on DF for the moment.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »

PTW and I request dorfing, Comrade. High Priest of Armok, hammer dwarf, to more easily kill the undead.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6