Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a current "Multiplayer" mode?  (Read 4689 times)

fishblade2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is there a current "Multiplayer" mode?
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:52:06 pm »

Before anyone gets all angry about this topic, i'm just asking in all the discussions about multiplayer, is there a current method at this exact moment where I could rent a server and be able to run just one more friend seeing the same screen and us both being able to play even if only one of us can be in control at a time? I know there have been some 3rd party things in the past but they all seem to have dropped off. I understand that the developer of this game is one that doesn't support multiplayer and I too hate the idea that every survival game at this time only wants to make huge lobbies where you interact with all different players at a time. People are a-holes and I don't want to share my world with them to destroy but just something a little more local on a smaller world scale with just friends sounds good. I just don't understand why games can't have that anymore. Great games like this one are always placed in single player and the developer never can see anything past that or there is no local server fun with friends or even campaign in games just massive Multiplayer... sorry for the rant but needed to get that at.. So any help on how to do this, anything out there that really works for something like this?

Thanks

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a current "Multiplayer" mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:06:34 pm »

3rd party utils are coming along pretty well. They'll satisfy any craving for multiplayer for a good while yet. While I've never heard Toady say he's anti-multiplayer, I would hate to see him abandon development in favor of making and maintaining multiplayer site mode servers.
Maybe post ver.1.

This is in active development:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165168.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:57:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:21 pm »

Before anyone gets all angry about this topic, i'm just asking in all the discussions about multiplayer, is there a current method at this exact moment where I could rent a server and be able to run just one more friend seeing the same screen and us both being able to play even if only one of us can be in control at a time? *snip*
Yes. I've played this in Dwarf fortress together.

It's nice tool for learning, and it's fun to be able to not need to run a year at the time like succession.
Downsides being it lending to lack of documentation (people are waiting) and people only having so much free time in a day, so if they want to spend the free time playing DF they can't use it to watch you play DF.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:42 pm »

I've done this. Hosted dwarf fortress on linux in a screen using ASCII print mode. SSH in and use screen -rx to open it. The game will interpret any commands sent, so you have to talk to the other person so you don't get in each other's way. Has the added benefit that if you turn off most of the pause alerts, you can just let the server run non-stop and get through a lot of time without anyone playing it.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

fishblade2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:14:22 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: does this 3rd party application allow for two players to play together even if the controls have to be shared? It seems to not have the fortress mode where both people could have control but instead one just watches the game the other is playing. How developed is it so far? Is it ready to be downloaded and used and does it allow just a private lobby for your friends or is it an open lobby (which I'm not interested in). Lastly Where is a link and How do I make an account to get involved in this?

@ Zammer: could you please give a little more info on this? I am not quite sure what much of the program abbreviations  you are using mean. I'm new entirely to this game but the only real desire I have is to build a fortress with a friend or two. Any limits to this way of multiplayer? Can you see the changes on your screen that your friend does to the fortress on their side?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:21:22 pm by fishblade2 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: does this 3rd party application allow for two players to play together even if the controls have to be shared? It seems to not have the fortress mode where both people could have control but instead one just watches the game the other is playing. How developed is it so far? Is it ready to be downloaded and used and does it allow just a private lobby for your friends or is it an open lobby (which I'm not interested in). Lastly Where is a link and How do I make an account to get involved in this?
You should ask in the thread. There's a link to the server in the opening post, isn't there? It's very new so I doubt it can do everything you want yet.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 03:25:13 am »

@ Zammer: could you please give a little more info on this? I am not quite sure what much of the program abbreviations  you are using mean. I'm new entirely to this game but the only real desire I have is to build a fortress with a friend or two. Any limits to this way of multiplayer? Can you see the changes on your screen that your friend does to the fortress on their side?

The way I did it needed a linux server; I ran the linux version of DF, and both people connect to the server. You'd both see the same screen, and both of you could input commands simultaneously.
Screen is a linux program that keeps DF running when no one's playing it
SSH is how to connect to the server (just google SSH client, MobaXTerm is a good one)
screen -rx lets multiple people access a screen at once
Any amount of people could connect simultaneously, but since only one person can put in commands at a time, without getting in each other's way, that's kinda a limit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:27:11 am by Zammer990 »
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

JakeSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »

You know I think DF would benefit from a LAN or HOTSEAT esc multiplayer personally...
VALLHALLA HUNGERS!!!
-JakeSlayer