Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 8843 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds 2
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2022, 05:56:07 pm »

I've been moderately enjoying it. I think it's a tad overpriced though. I'm a bit miffed people are saying it's worse than DW:U. I went back to that game recently and it's a mess. Frustrating to play.  DW2 feels like an actual game and not a tech demo.

Otherwise, I think your mileage will depend on how much you enjoy designing ships. I think ship design is the main appeal at the moment. There's tons of different components and combinations to work with, and races have different design philosophies for their ships. (Lizard ships have more armor slots, fish people ships have optional hangar bays. You don't *have* to use the hanger bays, but it's an option other races don't have).

It is pretty buggy at the moment though. I'd probably wait on buying if you're unsure. I wouldn't count on a sale though, I remember DW:U being notorious for not going on sale.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 06:01:16 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2022, 05:09:37 pm »

Id wait, The game has none of the end game content DWU has.

At the end your just slapping the stupid AI down, Theres no end game crisis like DWU. Nothing thats a real threat atliest. Your just pubstomping everything.

Also the game performs very poorly late game with all the civilian ships running around, so everything takes even longer to do. if your playing on larger galaxy sizes get ready for it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 05:32:21 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2022, 05:26:06 pm »

Id wait, The game has none of the end game content DWU has. At the end your just slapping the stupid AI down, Theres no end game crisis like DWU. Nothing thats a real threat atliest. Your just pubstomping everything.
I'm just seeing some events popping up that look like the crisis from DW:U. Though I'm not sure I'll see more of them, because crashing.

Jesus, does it like to stutter and crash on my 8GB i5. Medium galaxy, few empires, mid-game - it quits to desktop every hour to half an hour. And when it doesn't it's hardly smooth sailing performance-wise.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 05:37:57 pm »

Id wait, The game has none of the end game content DWU has. At the end your just slapping the stupid AI down, Theres no end game crisis like DWU. Nothing thats a real threat atliest. Your just pubstomping everything.
I'm just seeing some events popping up that look like the crisis from DW:U. Though I'm not sure I'll see more of them, because crashing.

Jesus, does it like to stutter and crash on my 8GB i5. Medium galaxy, few empires, mid-game - it quits to desktop every hour to half an hour. And when it doesn't it's hardly smooth sailing performance-wise.

Dont believe the events, they are lies, all you get are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes it loves to stutter and crash still, alot of the times now on 1.0.2.1 it will stutter for me regularly but crashes much less thank god.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2022, 07:43:48 pm »

If you liked DW:U, I say get it. It's DW:U but playable IMO. The automation improvements and QOL are a huge step up. I'd say maybe a bit pricey for that aspect of the suggestion, but to me it's worth it. It makes the base concept of DW:U playable and the 3D is nice. Scale of planets is huge compared to ships in this game and it's a great trope broken from typical sci-fi games.

If you didn't like DW:U, I'd say don't get it. It's essentially DW:U but remade and modernized. I'd call it a remaster, although a lot of content is missing. In say, 1-2 years it will probably be good on its own. Because I like DW:U it's worth it to me. If you wanted to get into DW:U, then I'd say just buy DW2. For some reason I thought DW:U was cut to like $7 or something as it ought to be now (I thought it was a sale or something?) but if you have experience with neither and think it's a cool concept, then just get 2. Maybe watch some LPs or livestreams first to get an idea of how the game is. It's quite a different flavor of strategy game that can be overwhelming to the uninitiated but imo it has way more depth and meaning than Stellaris.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2022, 11:00:37 am »

Looks like they've released a large update focusing on bugs, performance and fixing up confusing terminology when it comes to things like ship vs fleet stance and dumb fuel tanker behaviour. Might encourage me to fire it up again this weekend and see how things have progressed!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531540/Distant_Worlds_2/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]