Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Demon(Demon-taming, Monster-crafting, Dungeon-crawling Graphical roguelike)  (Read 15160 times)

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys. Recently found an interesting roguelike called Demon

In Demon, you play as a Summoner who has donned a relic in hopes of acquiring great power, only to find that the relic has compelled you to enter a mysterious tower from which no Summoners seem to return. Starting with only a few meager powers and a weak demon ally that the relic provided when you donned it, you must climb the tower, recruiting more and stronger demons and through your battles alongside them acquire stronger powers for your own use as well.

Though the relics are powerful, they have limits: They do not allow direct control of demons, and the powers they grant are only enough to make the Summoner as strong as... not stronger than... the demons within the tower. Without powerful, well-chosen allies and clever use of the abilities learned from them, there will be no chance of survival.

Like a lot of roguelikes your goal is to progress deeper into a dungeon but its main feature is that you actually tame the demons you encounter and use them to your benefit.

You field a max of 3 demons at a time forcing you to think carefully as to what your lineup will be.

Demons have a unique skillset, weakness, strengths etc that you can view so that you know how to fight them and use them. Some demons are used as support for healing, buffs etc.. and some demons for fighting. You can even copy their skillset into your main character if you find that the demon's skill is useful in offense builds or support builds.

In addition to making demons fight for you can also customize them copying skills from one of your demons to another one or you can also fuse them granting more powerful skills regardless if the previous demons had them before and also making the demons stronger.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the dev blog, the game has been in active development for 3 years now by one person. This game is seriously worth the try even for just trying out the monster customization mechanic going for it and its FREE.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:10:15 am by em312s0n »

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books

I kept meaning to post about this one. This is tactical party roguelike done right. The battles present genuinely interesting choices, and although your monsters are AI controlled, I've never had a shout-at-the-screen-you-stupid-AI moment. (Part of that is the ability to return a demon from anywhere, so an injured demon just goes back in the ball.)

Highly recommended.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Neat. I'll check it out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

There's a lot of very interesting idea and mechanics in this one, the visuals are really good and the mouse interface is very user friendly, i have enjoyed it a lot thanks to this party management that is very rare in roguelikes unfortunately (i often wish most of the RL i play had this kind of party management).
It's brillant in what it does.

The only bad point to me is that there's still no way to disable the game connecting to server, as it's due to that free version of the unity engine, at least fortunately it only happens when you die, so you probably don't miss anything (out of some character dump i guess) if you block that connection and then shut off the game manually (as the game is stuck waiting if it does not do that server connection).

It isn't possible to turn off communication with the server unfortunately. :( Even if I provided a shut off for Demon's own data transfer, Unity games as a group send some stuff back to Unity too; that can only be disabled w/ the Pro version (either $1500 or $75/month.) That isn't really in the budget for a freeware roguelike. :(

If it helps you feel better, the stuff I collect for myself in Demon is strictly gameplay data only (score, relic and element choices, version you used, where you died, etc.): nothing at all about your computer or other software. I don't even have a way to tell if two games were played by the same player, or what operating system they were using, and that's by design. I can't do anything about what Unity does, but I can at least avoid being a snoop myself. :P

If you want to read more about what Unity collects, their privacy policy can be found at this address: https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy

But other than that it's really great and refreshing to play a party-based RL like that.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

So this is a Shin Megami Tensei-like roguelike?

PTW
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So this is a Shin Megami Tensei-like roguelike?

PTW

That was my take on it too.

Color me interested.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Please ditch the red text/drop shadow though. It makes me not even want to read the content of your post, it looks that awful.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please ditch the red text/drop shadow though. It makes me not even want to read the content of your post, it looks that awful.

I dont think I have the html CSS know-how to put in text/drop shadow. i just used the normal font when posting the topic. refresh your browser perhaps?

EDIT: searched for what text/drop shadow is.. yeah i dont even know how to do that. I edited and reposted the OP didnt make any changes though but hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:48:49 pm by em312s0n »

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy crap! it did have those annoying red shadows! sorry I was using a work computer when I edited the post and it didn't actually show those things when I was viewing the post earlier. must be a problem with the ancient version of internet explorer over at work. Sorry about that. fixed now

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

This game looks awesome. How deep/long is this dungeon? And are bosses always the same or procedurally generated?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books

The main dungeon is at least twenty floors, if I remember correctly. I've usually played longer games over several sessions.

As for bosses, they're always the same (IIRC) but each is significantly unique.
Check out my books at O and H Books

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any suggested starting builds for those of us just looking at this? I pretty much hit the random button the whole way though, and died horribly on the second floor when I found out that the game is really quite serious about its warnings on looting corpses.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile

Ah, yes, Demon. I stumbled upon it when I'd an urge for a monster-taming roguelike after a Pokemon binge. Haven't regretted ever discovering it.

Any suggested starting builds for those of us just looking at this? I pretty much hit the random button the whole way though, and died horribly on the second floor when I found out that the game is really quite serious about its warnings on looting corpses.

Try Orb of Power with Buff primary and Ice secondary. Pre-battle buffs really helps evening the odds against corpse spawns, if not outright fleeing from otherwise unfavorable conditions with Haste. Meanwhile, Frost Ring is one of the few ranged area spells given as a type secondary. Furthermore, I'd recommend starting with a Fairy, if just for easy early game healing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:18:08 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

PTW. This looks interesting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gave it a run down.

Picked the Faith, Pyro.  They are half-way decent at being HP/SP regens.  Damage output is absolute garbage and I didn't pick up any decent damage dealers along the way.  Plus, costing 1 turn to dismiss and another to summon was really becoming a problem by the time I hit level 4.

So I wiped and went to the Glory route.  Healing slasher type.  Being able to slash away infections is pretty durn decent.
Picked up some 'Deadly' minions along the way.  They are pretty awesome with the area attacks.  Especially on the Jing Sha or however you spell it. 
Artemis Unique.... but, it feels like something is just plain wrong with her starting skill loadout.
Grabbed the Friar, but there was something else there... I tried to recruit it.... but... I ended up running away.

After that, my MaxHP steadily took a dive... from 57 to 28 to 10 to 6 to... 0.  It took a few hundred turns, but yea... There were no icons or anything telling me why that was happening.  Please fix.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8