Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Demon(Demon-taming, Monster-crafting, Dungeon-crawling Graphical roguelike)  (Read 15168 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Artemis Unique.... but, it feels like something is just plain wrong with her starting skill loadout.
Curious - what was wrong with it? I ended up going with the deer, who's got nice HP, good evasive moves and an AoE debuff, but doesn't start with any kind of attack at all (I threw zombie bite on him). When I was fighting Artemis, her arrows seemed pretty powerful, but obviously I didn't get nearly the in-depth experience with her as you did.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm.... well, maybe its just the DPS skill with half accuracy and the 'take-1-turn' debuff.

I don't like relying on RNGesus to decide if the DPS does damage or does absolutely nothing.  And using other skills = less SP and turns spent on killing things when all I want her to do is stay back and shoot.  (That weakness to melee skills is a huge liability when she runs out of SP.)

Anyways, I probably need more experience with skills, I am the sort to get decision paralysis when buffing my guys/buying new skills cost so much.

I might try a dark-light type Faith this time around.  Or maybe go for the one that sacrifices minions for credits.  Always short on credits.

Also, first game ever, Faith Pyro.  First enemies/anything I see are resistant to fire and I tried to recruit em.  It didn't go well.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Gave it a shot, had my ass kicked three times in a row...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Hmm. PTW me thinky
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On my first run I chose everything randomly, since I didn't know anything about the game at that point. Turns out I got a pretty decent starting character. I tweaked it a little bit after that, and so far this is what I have:

Relic: Vodun's Mask -- It is very useful to see where the enemies are on the map so that I don't stumble upon one when I'm not ready, and I know where to look when I want to fight.

Primary Element: Mind -- Alluring Gaze is good to break up large groups of enemies that would otherwise destroy my party.

Secondary Element: Body -- Life Siphon is good as a secondary attack when attacking an enemy resistant to Mind attacks or when I want to heal a little as well.

Companion: Zaltys -- Zaltys's healing abilities come in really handy during combat, providing cover for those with more effective attack abilities.

If any of you have starting builds which you think are better, feel free to tell me.  :D
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

This sounds too good not to try at some point. Posting to watch with interest.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile

Of the few games I've played, I'm having pretty good luck with crown of glory > light(?) > healing. Gave me some slash attacks that were decent in melee, and the secondary effects basically let me serve as my own healbot.

Worked well enough until I could grab a Nero, which has some pretty neat heal spells. One semi-straight one, which is generally pretty good, and another that grants any party member regeneration for a while. If you get to the side-dungeon that has them, I highly recommend picking one up- it's basically turned everything else into a tank.

---

Got to level five in the above game, and I chose the relic upgrade that lets you turn deleted monsters into credits. I can't say it's too impressive, unless there's something I'm missing. Only seems to pay out credits in the double-digits for level five and six monsters.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:23:55 pm by Whisperling »

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon(Demon-taming, Monster-crafting, Dungeon-crawling Graphical roguelike)
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:38 am »

I totally suck at the game as I don't have much free time to spend yet but I'm sure other people could provide valuable feedback for the game so I invited the dev to drop by as the official forum for the game does not have as much members as we do. Hope he does.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:19 am »

Hmmm.... well, maybe its just the DPS skill with half accuracy and the 'take-1-turn' debuff.

I don't like relying on RNGesus to decide if the DPS does damage or does absolutely nothing.  And using other skills = less SP and turns spent on killing things when all I want her to do is stay back and shoot.  (That weakness to melee skills is a huge liability when she runs out of SP.)

Artemis is all about nova single target ranged damage; you keep her for a few turns then switch out. She's fantastic out of the box for first strikes or for mopping up things without pierce resistance. This only applies when she's allowed clear line of sight for Sure Shot. Otherwise, she'll just spam Arcing Shot, which, as you noted, is too dicey to rely on.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:32 am »

Had things go remarkably pear-shaped while trying to capture the boss monster Python - I'd gotten him down to a sliver of health with a single turn left to go. "No problem," I thought, "we've got multiple guys using attacks that he's weak against" ... as he shrugged off my (and my minion's) last hits, fully healed, slowed everyone, and got a power boost.

Total slaughter - I just barely got out a portal by sacrificing all my minions to give me time. Luckily, I had a couple of the chalice items, so I was able to insta-capture a couple of demons on the next floor, and I'm now slowly re-building my team.

Fun stuff.

Has anyone found a use for the 'chime' class of items? So far I've found one that summons a random hostile summoner, and another that makes hostile clones of you and your party. I'm trying to think of a good reason why I'd want to do either of those things, and can't come up with anything.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 12:08:27 pm »

Has anyone found a use for the 'chime' class of items? So far I've found one that summons a random hostile summoner, and another that makes hostile clones of you and your party. I'm trying to think of a good reason why I'd want to do either of those things, and can't come up with anything.

Chimes're a high-risk method of gaining some extra XP. With some careful playing, the Recycler trait, and a bit of luck, they could also net some hefty Coins after killing the summoner and contracting their Demons. Worst case scenario, you're up against a ghost with Consume, whom would just kill off his own Demons like a prick before you could nab them yourself.

Gave it a run down.

Picked the Faith, Pyro.  They are half-way decent at being HP/SP regens.  Damage output is absolute garbage and I didn't pick up any decent damage dealers along the way.  Plus, costing 1 turn to dismiss and another to summon was really becoming a problem by the time I hit level 4.

So I wiped and went to the Glory route.  Healing slasher type.  Being able to slash away infections is pretty durn decent.
Picked up some 'Deadly' minions along the way.  They are pretty awesome with the area attacks.  Especially on the Jing Sha or however you spell it. 
Artemis Unique.... but, it feels like something is just plain wrong with her starting skill loadout.
Grabbed the Friar, but there was something else there... I tried to recruit it.... but... I ended up running away.

After that, my MaxHP steadily took a dive... from 57 to 28 to 10 to 6 to... 0.  It took a few hundred turns, but yea... There were no icons or anything telling me why that was happening.  Please fix.

Whenever your HP goes below zero, you don't die immediately. Instead, your healed a bit at the cost of your max HP. In a few very bad cases, you'll end up just get ponged down to very low health before you could react, and even if you escape, you'll still have crap health. In any case, you recover max HP by gaining a certain amount of XP, or with a few specific dark-type spells.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 12:49:17 pm »

Nah man, I'm pretty sure I hit game over when my HP became 0/0. 

I must have gotten really unlucky, fighting against things that took my MaxHP one after another....  Obviously, did not have any skills to fix my MaxHP.

Current run: Necroguy, with Dark skills, cause MaxHP.  Doing pretty ok.  Randomly recruit things only to sell em. 
Cat Ccoa is my only unique right now.  And somehow picked up a lvl 16 Raiju.  He was one of those chase around guys, but he started inside a room, so he stayed there, making it super easy.  (Necroguy's dark starter mobility skill is also pretty decent at catching up to runners also.)

Level 5 relic upgrade = Dismiss Summon
This skill is practically a minimum requirement.  Cause instead of taking 2 turns to replace a pokemon, it only takes 1.  Gloryguy's 0 turn to replace things is nice, but meh, I'll have to take another look at his skill options later, now I got a better idea of what is decent and what ain't.

EDIT:
Serious Necroguy tip...
Recruit Corpse Pokemon

EDIT2:
Fist Wraith
2 Ecounters
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:04:58 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

FerretDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 02:24:34 pm »

Oh, hey folks. :D Demon's dev here; thank you for all the interest in Demon! I've read through the posts up to this point and wanted to mention a few things:

1. You can disable Demon's (but not Unity's) data sending in the options menu, accessed with the - key. Granted, since I can't block Unity's, this does still mean blocking the app the only way to block 100% of it, but turning Demon's off will at least get rid of the server connection pop-up from when Demon tries and fails to connect.

2. The Tower itself currently has 23 floors, with several small side dungeons and one larger side dungeon. The bosses are largely static: I say "largely" because of enemy Summoners: enemy Summoners use an AI to choose the demons in their party and what abilities they've taught them, so while you the Summoners themselves are the same name, appearance, stats, and abilities, the demons they use change from game to game.

3. "Relic Preservation" (the mechanic that causes potentially lethal damage to first be doubled and taken out of your MaxHP, with death only occuring when both HP and MaxHP aren't enough) is relatively new; I don't doubt I may need a bit more UI/visibility on it. :D But, until then, I'll go ahead and say outright it's possible to recover lost MaxHP via gaining XP, using MaxHP draining abilities of your own, or if you're desperate, using Pure Stones/Pure Gems.

I'll check in and answer any other questions / read any other feedback posted here from time to time. :D Thanks again for checking out Demon, and good luck in the Tower!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »

Man, why must the cost of soul armor (of something I actually want to become) be so much? I have this perfect target - a stormsworn will o' wisp, which would give me immunity to body, resistance to slash, pierce, impact, and electricity, while giving me a weakness to light and dark.

How much to do this, you ask? A steal at a mere 7553 credits!  ::)

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 09:19:58 am »

Just wanna thank Ferret for making a wonderful game.

Man, why must the cost of soul armor (of something I actually want to become) be so much? I have this perfect target - a stormsworn will o' wisp, which would give me immunity to body, resistance to slash, pierce, impact, and electricity, while giving me a weakness to light and dark.

How much to do this, you ask? A steal at a mere 7553 credits!  ::)

Soul Armor costs scale based on the Summoner's level and both the donator's and Summoner's differences in resistances, speed, max health modifier, and various other things. For more extravagant cases as that Stormsworn Wisp, you'll have to wait until mid-late game for the right cred. And, to be fair, if you're going to make such a big investment, you'll do better in the long run sitting on those creds. Something better will pop up eventually, trust me.

Spoiler: Later Game Spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:24:15 am by ShinQuickMan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8