Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split  (Read 41141 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO. Time to make up for the mistakes
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »

The rush of diving on an M2 with my M5 (speed and skill being the only thing keeping you alive), just for the random fun of it (no M5 can do more than dent an M2). The joy of playing "Pokemon: Hull metal edition" if an NPC bailing mod is installed. That first MK3 trader or station.

Lol, I get that. Back when I was around 15 years old or so, when I first played X²..I'd get in all sorts of stupid fights. Including getting that Shockwave Generator weapon thing, parking in the exit of a pirate station, and firing it. HUNDREDS OF EXPLOSIONS PER SECOND!

I hope jumpdrives are still a thing, with an optional difficulty toggle for it.

I don't really use it much, but sometimes, having an escape is better than nothing, and by escape, given this is an Egosoft game, I mean hordes of simulated ships shooting each other and overheating my RAM and processor.

But ship blockades sound fun!

I wouldn't be too hopeful, tbh. They seemed pretty set on not having jumpdrives for some reason. I think this is also part of them challenging themselves to make ships not stupid. That is, making formations work, specialized ships with proper AI, and making fleets move properly without jumping (which was basically a workaround in X:R). This is just my feeling on it, though, and I do wish to have a jumpdrive..even if it's annoying to research/obtain like in X:R.

Still no Boron ships?

I think they mentioned that if they have time, Borons will be added? It upsets me a bit.
I can bet some patch/DLC would put them in the game later if they aren't in on release, though. People always seem to ask about them (including me). They are our allies, after all.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:18 pm »

From what i remember about the boron was about the lore mainly and how to integrate it in the game. As we all know, the boron is an aquatic race, hard to have walable interior in a boron ship and hard to have fish outside water too if you know what i mean. One way to could integrate it is to make pressure suit with water inside but their shipo will need to be water tanks? something like that.

Eh who know how they will integrate it. Anyone saw hellboy 2? The one with the ectoplasm smoke guy inside a suit? it bight look like something like that i think. Anyway i dont really care about the boron to be honest, hell im a dwarf fortress player, what i want is well made mecanics that integrate nicely with each other. I want a big meal, i dont care if it looks good or not, as long im well fed after im happy, same goes with X4, i want content more than *eye candy and lore*.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:54:17 pm »

Lol, I get that. Back when I was around 15 years old or so, when I first played X²..I'd get in all sorts of stupid fights. Including getting that Shockwave Generator weapon thing, parking in the exit of a pirate station, and firing it. HUNDREDS OF EXPLOSIONS PER SECOND!
The lag generator was fun to use as a single ship, but I ended up one time making the mistake of fully outfitting them to a carrier and jumping into one of the unknown sector.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 03:03:44 pm »

PTW. Rebirth was awful, but the past games were so good I can overlook it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 10:44:54 am »

Which game from X should I consider if I want to get into the series? Has Rebirth got much better since patches and updates so it's now worth playing?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 11:12:49 am »

Which game from X should I consider if I want to get into the series? Has Rebirth got much better since patches and updates so it's now worth playing?

2 and 3. They tend to come in a package deal with some officially sanctioned quality of life mods and it's on sale a couple times a year.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 11:45:17 am »

X3: TC is the definitive in my opinion. It's worth reading/watching a few getting started guides - it takes a bit of getting into and a lot of time. Think MMORPG levels of time, but single player.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 02:35:48 pm »

No one every recommends Albion prelude, not sure though because I've not played it myself

As long as they don't rely on stupid mini games, fake mini traffic, and an annoying copilot with a boob window flight suit it should be a good game.

Rebirth wasn't that bad, it just had some awful features that completely ruined the rest of the game

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:07 pm »

I like Albion Prelude, despite the story... (I think the story is kinda dumb)

Mostly because the stock exchange removes many hours of tedium if you play things right, and that is without manipulating it in various ways...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:14 pm »

I'd say X3:TC. Although I really like AP and the bonus pack / QoL improvements, AP feels weird for someone starting in the series.
If you really like it, playing X2, X3 Reunion, X3:TC, X3:AP and Rebirth with mods is worth it, IMO. I might have my large mod list still on Nexus and Steam.
I reinstalled X² and I will probably play it a bit in the following days.

The first X, however, didn't age well IMO. It's just a binary, slow, boring buy-low-sell-high. I played it for the story, but the game gives you micro story bits after doing 1h hauling like 10 items from point a to point B that feels like forever to complete..it's simply meh, and I gave up. X² is amazing by comparison. (I'm not sure about the X:Tension expansion, though).

EDIT: Update on X², it didn't age well when it comes to downtime, either. X² makes you fly around reaaally slowly, and some story missions is just flying from point A to point B as slow as possible. 30 minutes of downtime, 1-3 minutes of actual mission content..in the beginning, at least.
Now I'm playing it on my notebook as I work on my PC, just ordering my freighter around and using my Discoverer as a personal SETA shuttle.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:27:42 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »

If X4 is going to unfuck the series, and remove the horrifically bad changes X:Rebirth gave, then I'm definitely down.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:45 pm »

The whole TC vs AP debate really depends on personal preference. From what I've seen, most of the debates center around:

- The Terran Vs Argon war is probably the biggest bone of contention. Not so much the war itself, but the inclusion of "War sectors", which are deathtraps to wandering player ships (such as Universe Traders). The bonus pack does allow you to blacklist sectors.
- Rapid Response Fleets, while they did exist in TC, are FAR more aggressive in AP. They come packing with heavy ships including M8s and M7Ms. Which brings up...
- AI can now use M8/M7M. The AI in TC never used bombers and missile frigates. In AP they're capable of obliterating your ships.
- Ships have more hull, larger ships especially going up to 1000%.
- The Stock Exchange, which is basically a money market with no chance of losing money as prices continually increase. Of course, this is player-only and can be completely ignored.

Other than that, there are:
- New ships, including the new + pseudo-classes and M7Cs; which are pretty meh save the Griffon.
- OOS combat improvements. "Improvements", meaning it's slightly less trash.
- GoD Economy improvements. "Improvements" like the above.
- Some fixes for exploits like item duplication.
- New starts, including the enforced rogue-like mode "Suicidal Squid".
- Nividium asteroids no longer respawn.

TL;DR
TC is better if you're just starting the game, the new mechanics in AP make the game far harder.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 10:38:09 am »

So... if this is X4, what number is X:Rebirth? Is it an expansion for the first X Beyond the Frontier?  :P

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 11:04:56 am »

So... if this is X4, what number is X:Rebirth? Is it an expansion for the first X Beyond the Frontier?  :P

ha, that makes some sense but nah, it's a sort-of sequel spinoff.

really tho, it felt like an expanded tech demo they made into a full size game. some parts i really enjoyed were the stations (no more spaghetti complexes (although you can get this in X3 TC/AP with litcubes mod)) and capital ships. I didn't mind not taking the wheel behind the capital ship thanks to the amazing capital ship bridges mod. I could command my biggest capital ship into combat and ride into combat behind the viewshield of my sucellus being commanded by my 5 star captain i hired forever ago.

there's a core of good in xrebirth but man you gotta grind through the crappy outer shell to get there
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 04:48:22 pm »

The December Development update video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boxj2l5MkqY
Random notes:

To me, the game's looking really good, and I can already feel the X3+X4 mix.
I think they got hints from Star Citizen and Elite Generous when it comes to cockpits - and you'll now be able to see yourself inside cockpits (even if you are a Teladi).
There's a good amount of tiny details that I appreciate on the ship designs - like gimballed cannons (X always had 'tracking weapons', but the model themselves wouldn't move around with the aim) - and engines themselves have vectoring, in some designs.

And on ship designs, I also like that they put thought on how to deal with ship types and sizes. X3 AP was awkward in that there were a ton of ship types (M5, M4, M3...), and X:R had very few.
To me, both cases are awkward, because it makes the game feels very artificial - too many ship types, lore-wise/atmosphere-wise, gives a feeling of unnecessary overengineering and excessive militarization [732 military-focused types, 3 civilian types]. Too few types make it feel those few ships were designed to fit their function and that's it.
So they are also going the middle-way on this, and within Ship Size categories, there will be ships with different focuses. At least looking at the game map and videos, it feels more organic.

The interface to upgrading ships feels more modern. Similar to the building interface shown before, a model-viewer of the ship comes up and you can click on the 'hardpoints' to upgrade the ship components. It seems some upgrades will have graphical changes, like better engines looking..better, and so on.
I don't care much for the graphical additions, but it seems you'll be able to save and load Loadouts, F***ING FINALLY! This also applies to station modules, which you'll be able to choose between weapons/shields/other modules for their 'hardpoints'.

Currently, the game starts, race-wise, will have 2 human characters, a split, a teladi and a paranid to choose from.
The video shows the player in Profit Center Alpha, so depending on the scale of the universe and how the Gates will behave...for some reason I can feel a Boron DLC/Content Patch in the future
They mention Borons in the video and, again, they say they are not coming in the first release because if/when they add them in, they want to do it properly - a Boron sitting in a chair like a human would not make sense.

I also love how the Discoverer looks like a ... Discoverer. It's design and cockpit is basically the good ol' disco, but in 2018.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16