Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split  (Read 41134 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO. Time to make up for the mistakes
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »

Question about X3 TC/AP: how does it run on modern CPUs? While I played Terran Conflict quite a bit, the archaic, CPU-intensive, single-core engine eventually put me off.

Could a single core of a modern processor (say, my i7 4790) finally maintain a steady 60fps in all but the most ludicrous circumstances?

PS: I have a GTX 1080 for a video card. Wow and all, but I don't think it'd influence this particular game that much.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:41:04 pm by Greenbane »

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 10:15:31 pm »

So... if this is X4, what number is X:Rebirth? Is it an expansion for the first X Beyond the Frontier?  :P

I think there are some videos out there where Bernd says that the intention for X:Rebirth was to feel like BTF again, and ultimately be a reboot for the series. Even though the next game is touted to be X4, it will feel more like X:Rebirth 5.0.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 11:31:18 pm »

Haven't played in a while, but I haven't had issues with FPS in X3 in many years. Unless you go in those absurd war systems with carriers and destroyers colliding into each other and start up SETA 10x.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 11:40:03 pm »

Haven't played in a while, but I haven't had issues with FPS in X3 in many years. Unless you go in those absurd war systems with carriers and destroyers colliding into each other and start up SETA 10x.

who uses seta 10? that sounds unplayable. i mean, i don't think even the simulation could keep it up at that speed. i usually use x2, doubling current time is fine if a little grating in capital size ships. fps usually isnt an issue but i don't like postprocess effects like glow or dof so i disable them and that might help.

im quite hyped. my only hope is that the springblossom or hyperion make a showing again.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 12:02:39 am »

IIRC I've been used SETA 10x ever since my PC could handle it. I think the default is 6x, but you can crank it up in the options. Horrible idea to be used in large scale any combat, and before a bunch of patches (that is, many years ago) it would case a lot of suicides and collisions of all kinds. Not sure if it causes any misc issues with the simulation..if it did, I never noticed it.

For X4, besides bringing X3 back, I really wish they add more stuff like Toride (from X:R Home of Light DLC) and the Teladi sector from its X:R DLC. Flying around nebulas and asteroid fields, with unknown hazards and ambushes, dynamic missions and little surpises..although somewhat shallow in the missions/functionality side, the atmosphere was insane on those two places. It really felt like boldly EXPLORING unknown stuff.
It was also one of the few times I said "holy shit, that's a goddamn gate!" in the series
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:05:34 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:39 am »

I've never noticed any huge issues with FPS with my i5 3.30ghz. Most framerate issues I remember were tied to either lots of ships being in a single zone or a mod which had high poly-count models. To my mind those are more tied to the games engine than with my computer.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 11:53:59 am »

a bit necro but this is from official news.

a new gameplay trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUcXYxILnF8&feature=youtu.be

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 01:33:13 pm »

Yeppers! And I'm very happy with all the news! If they deliver what is being said on the trailers, it will be damn fun for old and new X players.

They mentioned being able to upgrade your spacesuit like a ship, and flying into/around asteroids and other looking for goodies..and being able to plant bombs on stations and ships! What?!
I have no idea how in-depth the first person is, but if any kind of first person boarding/sabotage action is in, I'll be even happier as that wasn't ever mentioned before. (At least not on the 2-3 hours of streams I watched in the past).

Of course, it's still Egosoft and all that. But if Ego and modders turned X:R into a playable, passable game, this just can't be worse. Famous last words.

Anyway, I'm less hyped than I sound. I'm more happy than hyped. At least the concepts they mention is exactly what I wanted and more. The execution however..we'll see.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 02:35:00 pm »

This is the most cautious hype you have ever seen.

I WANT TO BELIEVE, but XR was absolute trash and even with mods and all the work they put in it still didn't really 'work' for me. It seemed like the fundamentally didn't get what made the X series work which makes me very cautious for this. I hope they get it this time.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 04:25:35 pm »

speaking of the player suit moving him around and doing stuff. this makes me wonder if we will ever see an X game were the player can do stuff out of the ship, a bit like Space Engineers except for the ship designing part like. you can get off the ship and mine the asteroids yourself or build bases around them.

guess its no use taking in account that there's the whole modular station thing but for small personal hideouts perhaps.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:00 pm »

Yeee, I am looking forward to this so much.  I mean, I understand X: Rebirth was a throwback to X1 in many respects, but I'm another one of the many for whom it simply did not click.  Almost everything I've heard about X4, except for all the walking about in person, has me cautiously impressed almost in spite of myself.  It's almost got me tempted to buy at release, even though I know it's risky even with older main-line X games.

Also, I know the problems with representation they had, but I'm still half-hoping for the Boron to be the secret final boss as a call-back to the Terran gate of Reunion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:26:08 pm by Culise »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 07:41:41 pm »

What I'm most interested in is the dynamic AI/Universe and how it will work with any sort of questlines.
Specially what mods will come out of having support for a dynamic, empire-building AI from the get go. X:R had a war mod (can't remember the name) that was damn good, where you could kick PMC out of existence.

They say there will be no main plot and story mission, and I find that a bit sad. Because I feel they choose to do that since people bash on every little thing they can when it comes to X story missions.. so they probably just said "eh, throw it out the window". Hoping that the game have other stories and connects with some lore.

And the Borons..well, any races out of the Paranid and Teladi will come in Expansions (free or paid DLC), unless they are not spoiling things. Splits were in the end of X:R and I wasn't at all expecting it, so maybe they'll be on X4. It's pretty funny that every time I see a video or post about X4 there's someone asking about Borons though, fishy bros.

EDIT: weird typos. sleep properly, people.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:17:09 pm by Gabeux »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:54 pm »

i also admit to having pro-boron leanings. one of my first profitable (not madly profitable, but enough) factories was a bofu fab near their home sector in X3 Reunion. all those nearby end factories hoovered what i could produce up. funded my LX hunts. ya'll remember the LX? loved it. it put the nova to shame, and i fukken love novas.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 01:12:08 am »

I hope they improve on the U.I. from X3. I like the whole idea of setting up a factory, getting resources and selling the produce but the menus made it seem like a huge task to wrap my head around.

I think that's probably my biggest problem with the X series. I've played about... 218 hours of X3 but I've never actually gone that far into the mechanics because it's all so intimidating and difficult to understand where to begin. Flying around shooting pirates or raiding trade lanes for cargo to sell is fun but expanding beyond that is... hard.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16