Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO: Vendetta of the Split  (Read 41198 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: X4 Foundations - Revenge of the EGO. Time to make up for the mistakes
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2018, 08:49:06 pm »

Anyone else have issues with the radar? Mine for some reason seems to not be centered. whatever is in front of me is actually near the top of the radar, not always the same spot because having the ship stopped and rolling makes the radar rotate on two axis at one, which makes no sense.

I've seen similar results on radar, and it seems to be related to the range of the object from the ship. The funk radar movement may be because you still have auto-level engaged? Not sure.

Nope, the auto level was the first thing to go when I started playing.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2018, 08:53:55 pm »

I had a hard crash on start, until I updated my graphics drivers. No technical issues since then.
Definitely a harsh learning curve, and a few rough edges, but 5 hours in there's nothing that would make me regret my purchase so far.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2018, 09:09:50 pm »

Eh, did anyone really think this would get positive reviews? A lot of streamers getting it and waving it in front of post-NMS casuals that never heard about it. Definitely bound to do so well..
I do wish they had tried a bit harder polishing and catching bugs before release, of course.

I still have no major issues, but the expected minor bugs are still there, with one potentially gamebreaking if you overwrite your saves after causing it. In short, be careful where you jump+crouch when walking in stations.

I still feel it is too cold and quiet, similar to X3. Not that it's a bad thing..but again, I was hoping for a more lively atmosphere. I now got a fully upgraded Nova and I want to get to mid-game to see how it goes.

Right now, not sure if I'd recommend it to anyone unless fan of the series or similar games, because the start feels like X3 where things take a while and it's you mostly travelling around getting to know the menus and map.

Oh and definitely follow the post-release Egosoft rule of saving a lot. Although I haven't bumped into easily reproducible gamebreaking bugs yet, there's plenty of fringe bizarre stuff (like what I mentioned with jump+crouch) that may require a reload. One of those is sometimes opening any menus during travel mode - if you notice your ship reverses many km when opening menus, stop, save on a new slot and reload. Doing it too many times may throw you so far away OOS you will stay forever stuck in a parallel dimension. For this bug to happen, you probably have to turn on the "keep speed in menus" option, which by default is turned off.

E: Forget to mention, I REALLY like the new flight model. Given that now there's no loading screens between Jump Gates (and accelerators, super highways, etc), your ship keeps it's speed when leaving the other side. With the boost and the addition of travel mode, some slick, drifty, cool travelling can be achieved. No idea how it goes on larger ships tho
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:25:08 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2018, 09:13:24 pm »

Tried to start the game and it wouldn't launch, restarted steam and tried again. Got to the start menu, selected new game, tried to look at the three choices and CTD. Not so great first impression.

Attempt 3: Try to skip opening video, game hangs CTD.

Attempt 4: Reach main menu, flip through settings CTD.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:16:49 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:13 pm »

Kinda annoying questions, but did you try Verifying Integrity of files and updating your drivers (using something like Driver Booster if necessary)?
The good thing of them releasing on a Friday is people get to enjoy it instead of waiting for the whole week. The problem is that support will probably fall in the hands of players this weekend. So if problem persists.. Egosoft Forums, Steam Forums and Reddit it is.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely loving everything about the game except the bugged radar and station scanning... why was station scanning kept? The game is a huge upgrade over X3 and the UI is extremely convenient and streamlined compared to X3's. OBS really doesn't agree with the vulkan rendering on my pc for some reason though. I streamed and while the game ran smoothly, the video feed was choppy and rubberbanded, it was really weird. I figured out a workaround, but only after the stream ended sadly. I'm stuck running it in a window at a lower 16:9 resolution for it to record properly.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »

OBS really doesn't agree with the vulkan rendering on my pc for some reason though.

Aparrently that's a blanket issue; nothing to do with your pc or the game.

A buggy release for an X game is par for the course, and egosoft are accomplished at sorting stuff out over a varied period of time. Their games are (used to be?) intended for a more niche market so the player base was willing to be more patient until things were sorted. Rebirth was an anomaly, in that the much of the hate came from the fact that the game was designed around features that the silent majority hadn't asked for, and dropped or diminished aspects that were core to the X3 experience.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »

Minor spoilers for early game feature.

I flew through an anomaly, not knowing what it was. Ended up several sectors away. I turned around and flew through it again, hoping it would send me back to the starting area. It did not. It sent me much much further away. So I pointed my starter ship in the general direction of the only home I knew, and started flying. About 5 minutes at maximum speed later I checked the map, and I had hardly put a dent in the distance I needed to go. So, I selected a station in the home sector and turned on auto-pilot. It immediately turned me around and sent me in the opposite direction. But I let it fly, and after a few minutes I came to a super-highway, that led me to a portal, that led me to some other thing...and about 5 more minutes later I was back home. So I learned my lesson; trust the auto-pilot when needing to travel long distances. And be wary of strange holes in space. And I guess be wary of strange holes not in space too. But that's another game...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:07:33 pm by Folly »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2018, 11:10:29 pm »

Minor spoilers for early game feature.

I flew through an anomaly, not knowing what it was. Ended up several sectors away. I turned around and flew through it again, hoping it would send me back to the starting area. It did not. It sent me much much further away. So I pointed my starter ship in the general direction of the only home I knew, and started flying. About 5 minutes at maximum speed later I checked the map, and I had hardly put a dent in the distance I needed to go. So, I selected a station in the home sector and turned on auto-pilot. It immediately turned me around and sent me in the opposite direction. But I let it fly, and after a few minutes I came to a super-highway, that led me to a portal, that led me to some other thing...and about 5 more minutes later I was back home. So I learned my lesson; trust the auto-pilot when needing to travel long distances. And be wary of strange holes in space. And I guess be wary of strange holes not in space too. But that's another game...

Speaking of anomalies and spoilers, I suggest looking into the secret signal by the starting station(it was at the starting station for my Young Gun start anyways). It will start a mission chain with a reward you won't want to miss out on.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2018, 11:54:35 pm »

Okay, now that I got settled in and can drift in/out/around stations and gates, and that I poked most of menus and learned a lot of how to break the game and how to unbreak it (and how to avoid it) I must say: I love it.

As I said before, I hope NPCs and everything become more alive and lively later on, but their UI/HUD and flow overhaul is just so sweet.
I haven't got a single timed mission yet, and once you have some good map chunks discovered, all you have to do is keep the map and mission manager open, pick up a few missions, and go be happy and murder everything along the way, without stressing out about nonsensical timers.

Yes, there are bugs. Most can be avoided by smart saving and not poking certain things too hard, and leaving some room for your NPCs to go in/out their seats.. at least when it comes to early game, I'm 100% sold.
I got a M3+ equivalent, the Antigone Republic Pulsar. I'm not sure if any Argon Feds fighter have 6 weapon hardpoints, but this one has. And I just melt s***. It costs ~2.4 million fully equipped.

Next step is grabbing a Corvette/Frigatte or equivalent, and trying out some larger ship combat + boarding - in X3/X:R all I did was capture large ships (while collecting small ones was part of the job), if they have that part polished I'll be very happy.

I also really like the idea of guilds/war efforts for some reason. It adds such great variety of mission types. I know in 100h they will all be boring and all that, but I don't remember ever having so many options to choose when it comes to mission types. I had to rescue a frigate [L] that was uncrewed and stranded in a minefield: destroy minefield, hack/board ship, give back to owners. It took me 15 minutes to find the damn hatch. Although it's probably an oversight (and a little bug, because the armored exterior airlock door doesn't open while it clearly should, so good luck finding a Cerberus' airlock), it made me feel like a happy noob.
However, you know you're playing X when you do it your way and stuff still works. Since I couldn't find the hatch, I claimed the ship in a different way: get close to it on your ship, claim it, land your S ship, go to its bridge and use your spacesuit. It'll leave you at the hatch you were supposed to hack, objectives will fix themselves and you're ready to complete the mission.

Other cool thing about Guilds and 'War Efforts' is that they have missions that usually cover all the kinds of gameplay styles - building, exploring, fighting, trading, or doing weird shit.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:58:54 pm by Gabeux »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2018, 05:34:16 am »

All you people progressing and getting tons of credits or nice ships while I'm still sitting in the starter ship and programming a Voice Attack profile with "ship AI" responses for immersion since things are pretty silent without Betty's constant chatter, also to make the game more enjoyable and less reliant on key shortcuts. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since I'll use it on stream and don't want it to be too boring I ended up adding a bunch of different voice triggers for commands and varied ship AI responses to them. I even decided to add in some meme scripts for when an opportunity presents itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byhh_g3x3Nk&feature=youtu.be
That's not edited, it's 100% voice command scripting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:50:21 am by Ygdrad »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2018, 08:55:49 am »

A runaway background process means that Steam records me as having played 8 hours of the game despite the fact I've never made it past the title screen. I hope I can sort this graphics fuckup out because that might have screwed up my refund.

edit: Problem was temporary, proper playtime now shows up. I basically ripped out my drivers with my teeth, broke several things, restarted and now the game isn't instantly crashing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:55:47 am by Broseph Stalin »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2018, 11:12:34 am »

Wow, I haven't even built a factory in Terran Conflict, and EGO already has released X4! The price is steep right now (1290 RUB right now, add 710 and you'll get an average price for a triple AAA game in Russia), but I'm interested.

Anyway, can I ask a Terran Conflict-related question here? If that's so, then where I should build my factory, and what kind of factory is good for humble beginnings of a small interstellar corp?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2018, 11:15:53 am »

-Voice commands-
LOL! Cool thing is that EGOSOFT is as fond as Betty as its playerbase. They said to look forward to future patch notes regarding Betty. To be honest, unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure encyclopedia entries will still be released, along with those Betty audio clips.

In other news, I was trying out the small ships weapons. I'm not sure any weapon outright excel others in all things. The beam is really good for stripping shields, and is a good combo with the expensive Bolter. Since I prefer knifefights, the Shard is a pretty good Shotgun weapon.
I haven't seen any reason to use the Ion Launcher over the Beam yet, and the Pulse is a pretty meh and boring weapon. I still have to try the new missile launchers..but with humans FINALLY having beam weapons, I'll probably only have them on specific ships.

E: For clarity, EGOSOFT has confirmed Betty won't be voicing Encyclopedia entries. I meant those two things as separate missing things - both Betty gameplay/menu/target audio clips, and text Encyclopedia entries that seem lacking or outright missing for some equipment. I do know some Encyclopedia entries are unlocked as you play, though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:01:27 pm by Gabeux »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2018, 11:26:05 am »

I wish Steam had a way to filter reviews by playtime. 99% percent of reviews with less than 3 hours on record (both positive and negative) are completely worthless.

Anyway, can I ask a Terran Conflict-related question here? If that's so, then where I should build my factory, and what kind of factory is good for humble beginnings of a small interstellar corp?

For me, Microchips is usually a good start. They sell really well if sold just below average price. I don't remember many factories actually requiring microchips as a primary resource, but there's no shortage of NPC high-tech traders floating around. Also:
Spoiler: Slightly spoilery (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:33:02 am by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16