Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Destiny 2  (Read 2500 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Destiny 2
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:35:49 pm »

PC open beta is available now, for a few days only. Can be installed through the Blizzard launcher.
Open beta has ended! PC launch October 24th.
Open beta consisted of a brief story segment which closes the door on the settings from the first game, and opens the path forward to the second game. Then there is a single coop mission that lasts 10-20 minutes, and pvp arena mode.

As many reviewers from the console beta have already said, this feels a lot like more of Destiny 1. A lot of the exact same enemies, exact same settings, exact same strategies employed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the first game was quite popular, but it does make the price point of a full new game a bit difficult to justify.

Controls on PC feel a bit floaty...you can tell it was designed for consoles then ported to PC. Things usually work when they need to...I usually accomplish whatever I'm trying to do; but it's less satisfying knowing that the system is automatically interpreting my intentions and making them happen, rather than letting me have full precise control over every movement.

At this point, it would be hard for me to recommend the beta, just due to the size of the thing(16GB) for what amounts to about half an hour of gameplay. You might get a bit more value out of it if you're into the PvP parts.

Edit:

Destiny 2 PC has officially launched!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:19:37 pm by Folly »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Destiny 2 - PC Open Beta August 29-31
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:55 pm »

The open beta looks rather ho-hum, honestly. I guess I'd be willing to give it a shot if it was available outside the Blizzard launcher, though.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:39 pm »

Gave it a try and it was extremely limited. One intro story mission, one co-op mission, and pvp that you'll want to avoid like the plague since they gave controllers aimbot-grade aim-assist. This is a small demo, not really much of a beta. There is no reason to play this unless you just want to know what the game is like and then no reason to keep playing past that.

That being said, the game seems neat(I never played or looked into D1 much) and I had fun with what little there was. Classes and weapons are nowhere near balanced at the moment but the devs will probably fix that.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 11:33:38 pm »

I got this game during a promotion, wanted to upgrade my graphics card and it came with the game, so why not?
Played the story mission and Co-op. Game is visually impressive, don't think I ever noticed a single frame drop (even with Vsync on), Vsync doesn't seem to destroy mouse responsiveness like it did in Skyrim. The movement felt fine to me, but I never played the first game so I don't know how the movement is "supposed" to feel.

I kinda wish they had weapon drops a lot more common during the beta so I could try a bunch of them out. Was disappointed that the shotgun was considered a special weapon so I only had a few shells for it.

I'm not interested in PvP so unless the co-op stuff is good then I'm not sure how long I'll play it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »

I'm not interested in PvP so unless the co-op stuff is good then I'm not sure how long I'll play it.
Assuming they've added proper bloody matchmaking to all the things that you cannot solo this time, it should have plenty of pve stuff. The first one was neat but eventually you ran out of things to do without people to play the rest with, with no way to join other people without reddit or other external websites, and I couldn't be bothered to go through that effort when there are games that don't make you go through hoops if you don't know anyone else with the game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Destiny 2
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:05 am »

Launch is today- three hours until PC release, in fact. I'm on the fence about getting it; console players seem to be enjoying the game still. Personally, I think I've found myself in the mood for some AAA shooter bullshit; the real question is: Is anyone else playing?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »

Decided against getting D2 just yesterday. The console reviews are pretty overwhelmingly saying that the loot system has been dumbed down from the first game, negating longterm goals and minimizing the incentive to play cooperatively with other players; further, the story line of the campaign has been disparaged and the early updates have been extremely disappointing. Basically, D2 seems to offer 1-2 weeks of underwhelming gameplay with no reason to keep playing longer than that.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »

I plan to do the same thing with D2 I did with the first.  Buy the complete edition after they release a number of DLCs.  Turns out I got lucky by waiting for the Rise of Iron.  Ment I got the whole complete game for $40 and played that for a decent amount of time. 

I would have not thought the release of base game worth $60, or $40.  And the base game of D2 doesn't look like it has anymore content than base destiny had.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 04:51:01 pm »

I never played the first game, and this came for 'free' when I bought my new GPU, so I guess I might as well play it. Problem is I don't really have anyone else to play with, oh well.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 05:36:40 pm »

Decided against getting D2 just yesterday. The console reviews are pretty overwhelmingly saying that the loot system has been dumbed down from the first game, negating longterm goals and minimizing the incentive to play cooperatively with other players; further, the story line of the campaign has been disparaged and the early updates have been extremely disappointing. Basically, D2 seems to offer 1-2 weeks of underwhelming gameplay with no reason to keep playing longer than that.
Sounds about right, tbh. Played it on the ps4 after my brother got it, finished almost everything of interest in a week and a bit. Was fun, not really anything more than I expected.
Scout Rifles are still good at headshotting everything. Auto rifles are still entirely useless imo. Hive are still a pain in the arse to deal with because swarms. Easier to get swords. Loot is just 'which legendary design do you like and how many pieces of higher level gear will you sacrifice to upgrade it to that level'. Still has the one exotic per half of your equip screen limit that makes collecting more of them pointless. You don't get a different loading screen ship design until after the story is over. PVP is still the least interesting bit to me and I only played four matches of it total for the free milestone engrams. Theres things I haven't completed, but I have more interesting things to play than building up to whatever the high light level was.

Story was mediocre.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:40:28 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 10:12:21 am »

My best friend got the game. Usually we start MMOs together, but while D2's graphics look pretty good, the rest just didn't convince me at all. I've read a bit about the game, and the prevalent opinion seems to be that it's not worth it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:43 am »

It just seems like a blandly sci-fi shooter. I remember watching D1 videos and finding it dull as fuck....and that was before Peter Dinklage added an additional level of monotone blandness to it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 01:23:29 pm »

The problem mostly is that, aside from the story, the crap are you supposed to do?
Get better gear? its just more of the same numbers on more of the same skins.
Get fancier gear? The game already gives you some number of exotics if you do every quest completely (none of which you can combine with the others unless one is an armor piece and the other a weapon), and purple is just blue items that give more stuff when you dismantle them tbh.
Do the public events? They're very repetitive, and heroic events just take longer.
Play cruci-pfffft, naaah. The pvp hasn't changed at all. Its boring.
Do something with matchmaking, maybe? Still doesn't exist. Except for its rebranded cousin, "Guided games" for the one raid that exists.

Its like they made a campaign-based shooter and then tacked bits onto it at the end because having big open areas with random* events and some dudes to kill was a good idea of a postgame.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:25:16 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »

Honestly it’s like the Division. You beat the main game and the rest of your time is spent farming flavorless loot and re-running missions on harder difficulty. It’s telling for these 3PS games that the campaigns are way more enjoyable than the extended loot grinds that come after. Experiencing the game is novel. Experiencing “5% more attack power” though is fun for about an hour.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:30:58 pm »

My experience with Destiny 1 on PS3 was that the gunplay - the core gameplay loop of the moment-to-moment combat - was really solid, but that the larger narrative and grind-based progress was definitely not. Kind of like Halo, in some ways, but the story isn't as replayable (especially in D2, from what I've read). Still, without a doubt more enjoyable to me than the gunplay in the Borderlands series or Division.

That basic gunplay in D1 was good enough to spend a solid amount of time with the game, while doing mild grinding (no raids or other 'no matchmaking' stuff). For D2, however, they switched over to fixed rolls (meaning that if you get the 'fulbrauten' assault rifle once, any later ones you get are just complete duplicates) which, to me, kills what little grinding enjoyment it had.

(Also, switching from the very meaty/chunky controller I had to a mouse/keyboard might reduce the gunplay experience a bit.)

I suspect it'll improve significantly after several expansions, but by then one could just pick up the 'game of the year edition' for cheaper and avoid many months of salt.
Pages: [1] 2