Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 103163 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #915 on: January 02, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »

I've found that despite their lower health, hive princes can make great combatants. Mainly because they get a racial 20% combat speed bonus. Hitting the other guy first avoids a lot of damage. Skeletons on the other hand get a combat speed reduction of 10%.

Aside from combat speed, melee attack/martial arts (MAt/MA) skill level is also important. I did a solo run recently (shek martial artist) and I often found myself caught in an endless dodge loop when facing large groups of enemies due their constant attacks. It seems like there is a breaking point at having about 10-15 more MAt/MA than your opponents than lets you start your attack before them.

Do note that I use a mod that increases the number of attack slots, so the exact breaking point might be different in vanilla kenshi. I use the x2 mod IIRC.

There's a set of mods you'll want to get if you use MA at all, all made by some guy whose steam name is just ( * ).

Martial Arts Fast Dodger: 40% increased speed of dodge animations.
Martial Arts No Matrix Dodge: MA dodge doesn't use the matrix dodge any more, only the faster backstep.
Martial Arts : Always Attack: Expands the range of the Jumpkick and Jump Knee MA attacks so that there aren't any ranges where no MA attacks will trigger (as is the case in vanilla in range 7-9).
Martial Arts Not Everywhere: Enemies which spawn with weapons have their MA skill cut in half to avoid the whole issue with recently disarmed enemies suddenly becoming vastly more dangerous because their MA hits harder than they did with the weapon they presumably trained with and used all the time.

Those four mods are a massive QoL improvement for MA-related stuff.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 03, 2020, 12:02:01 am »

Perhaps as a response to the controversy over The Holy Nation as a place to settle, I have created several start in their territory with a bull and some random items to get a settlement started.  Also 15 relations with The Holy Nation, for what that is worth.

Small Farmstead Start on Steam
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 05, 2020, 07:43:33 am »

Thanks for the mod suggestions Flying Dice :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 05, 2020, 12:42:33 pm »

Not much, but fixed the core problem with the Freedom Seekers start.  They need a pack bull to carry around all of that building crap, and with my new start, they now have one.
Link for the curious

Eh, apparently when I make a comment in Steam, it WON'T let me copy and paste.  Groan, I'm not retyping anything, so just enjoy this picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slave Traders thinking it ok to just hang out at Black Desert City.  Not pictured: My greedy attempt to train on them, so that now I'm melting in Black Desert City.  Should have just waited, but they looked like they had finally smartened up and were heading for the bar.
EDIT: My Pack Bull, the only survivor, confirmed that had I just waited, they would probably have in fact just melted, they didn't go into the bar, although I don't know if my attack had anything to do with that.  A subtle reminder that in Kenshi, you never send everyone to attack.  Somebody has to stay behind to patch up the wounded....
Now, I'm wondering if a Pack Bull can continue.  There is one recruitment mechanism which I know works for mute characters: Freed Slaves sometimes join up.  Dunno if they will initiate the dialog with an animal though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:26:03 pm by EuchreJack »
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:41 pm »

Now, I'm wondering if a Pack Bull can continue.  There is one recruitment mechanism which I know works for mute characters: Freed Slaves sometimes join up.  Dunno if they will initiate the dialog with an animal though.
That'd be interesting. I'm looking forward to an update from Packy the Bull ;)
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]