Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr  (Read 10580 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 06:29:32 pm »

Skulls For The Skull Throne 3 Steam event is on.

Martyr's contribution is that, if you log in before the event ends, you get a skull-faced Cherub pet.

Wew lads.

(Also I'm now like a 1900+ pskyer that can solo red difficulty missions in about 6 minutes. All the endless events that yield loot chests with Relics? Yeah, I can walk out of those events with 7 chests at a time. Damn psykers are broken.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2019, 12:23:19 am »

I figured I'd revisit when they do that 2.0 redesign (which I think is due at the end of the month).  Not that I expect they have a clue what they're doing with it :p

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2019, 04:29:00 am »

lol kinda completely forgot about this game

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:26 am »

Can't blame you. Their updates have been pretty tepid.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2019, 11:17:32 am »

it's more like the game had me doing the same thing on repeat for hours with tiiiiiiiiiiny bit of story interspersed here and there, and ain't got time for that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2019, 11:39:59 am »

Still pretty much the same. I've been grinding out the fate to unlock all the fate-locked content, and by and large it's the same thing each time. A bit of story, the same combat. I did this season and while they did add like 4 or 5 new Khorne-type enemies, not much else was improved. There's more Knight gameplay but that's not terribly exciting either.

W/e though, I suppose I play it because it's a 40k game and less because it's great. But I won't deny that vaporizing entire packs of enemies at a time with my Psyker IS pretty satisfying.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2019, 12:59:23 pm »

Took a bit of time to try out 2.0 and it was kinda fun, though I'm not sure all that much has really changed. 

They say they've speeded up the gameplay a bit but it felt the same to me (though it's been a while since I last played). 

I did like the changes to Tarot where you don't need to spend fate to do special Tarot missions, you just get to apply 1-3 Tarot cards to the regular random missions instead. 

Crafting/gear has some new stuff to modify your items with, but it seems slow & expensive to accumulate compared to how quickly my gear becomes obsolete so I've not made use of it yet.  I did get a blueprint for making Relic eye implants though, so end-game crafting may at least be worthwhile (for the most part that might be the only time it's worthwhile, from what I can tell).

Level cap has been raised to 100, but the vast majority of it is dead levels where you're just getting another skill point for those passive 1.5% bonuses.

Void Campaign is another option for a set of random missions, but this time with ramping difficulty and a limited number of losses - further through you get the more keys you get to open the loot chests at the very end.

Psyker still seems to be far more powerful than the rest.

I gather they adjusted the Warzone thing, but I haven't tried it yet.

And they're still as bad as ever about dealing with bugs - I had two missions I was unable to complete because of bugs, one where the npcs I was to rescue didn't register that they'd been registered and refused to follow me to the exit, and one because a bit of scenery was just slightly in the way preventing me from interacting with the objective.  Both of which were bugs a year or more ago.

No idea if multiplayer is any better than it was - it was telling me it was unavailable when I tried queuing for coop with randoms, and I saw on the forums people complaining that a bug is eating their loot in coop, so yeah...

All in all about what I expected.  It was fun to run through and smite some heretics again and I'll probably spend a bit more time in it here and there, but outside of the 40k feel there's several better ARPGs to be playing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2019, 04:12:19 pm »

Yeah, Martyr is never going to be Path of Exile or even Diablo 3. Smiting heretics is the entire reason to play it.

Looking back on thing I think they really messed up on is that you can't move and shoot at the same time with the exception of one or two weapon abilities that do specifically that. I think that's part of the reason the gameplay has never really felt like it flowed. You're either moving or shooting but almost never doing both. Which is why Psyker's "Click to Vape" abilities and power makes them the most broken class. They don't have to stand there and wail on guys, or shoot slow RoF weapons at single targets. They just drop AoE nukes all day and that is enough for 80% of the enemies in game. I have a side Crusader I've been working on and the gameplay experience is night and day between them. Having to actually mouse over single targets to shoot them versus clicking in their general area, without even targeting a specific mob, makes playing my Crusader so much more tedious than my Psyker.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2020, 05:19:51 pm »

So I popped back in to this on a whim. I felt the need to purge. It must have been a long time since I played because I guess 2.0 was out in June.

Highlights:

-They scrapped the concept of a "gear score." Now, you just have your inquisitor level. Gear also has a level, and you can only use gear that meets your level. Big fan of this. Previously you'd get gear that was numerically inferior to what you were wearing but because it had a higher gear score, you had to use it, so your gear score would rise, so you could do harder missions, so you could get better gear with a higher gear score. It's simplified it.

-Itemization changes. Before it was common, uncommon, rare and relic levels of gear. Relics were the top end. Now, on top of Relic, they've added Ancient Relics and Archeotech Relics.

-Socketing. Previously the end game was "fuse older relics into better relics, level up their power until they unlock 1 or 2 new traits that only relic weapons can have." That system has been replaced by the idea of gear sockets, archeotech shards and psalms. Archeotech shards and psalms add in the extra abilities above and beyond what rolls on the gear. Archeotech shards tend to add more generic abilities, while Psalms can add more interesting unique abilities. Shards can be fused together to enhance their power, and Psalms can be bundled together, mixed or matched to produce new even more unique traits. Gear above Level 50 can roll sockets, and it can roll between 1 and 4 of them. Which isn't all that ideal when you think about it as it's basically double RNG. Not only are you looking for a high level piece of gear to drop, you're looking for it roll max sockets. So in order to smooth this over they....

-Crafting Overhaul. They completely changed the Forge upgrade trees and refunded everything you spent on it. Now, you're pretty much only unlocking the ability to use the new parts of the crafting system. First off though, they reduced the kinds of crafting materials to just the three basic types, Ancient Mechanism, Divine Sparks and one max tier special crafting materials. So now you only have the blue crafting mats, the purple crafting mats, the orange and the red. The greens are gone. I haven't tried to craft any new gear, but I'm guessing that the whole "put different mats in different orders during crafting to tweak what stats you get and how strong they are" is gone. However, you still retain the ability to re-roll the stats on gear. You have the ability to reroll the actual values these stats roll. Now, instead of just an ever escalating credit cost where you can seriously bankrupt yourself just rerolling one piece of gear to perfection, each item gets a limited number of crafting rerolls. Whether you're re-rolling what stats an item has or what the stat values are, the cost is always the same. It costs a chunk of credits and a few high-end crafting components to do these rerolls, but nothing unreasonable. Items dropping for me currently get like 14 or 15 rerolls and I assume that goes up slightly as gear level increases. Once you're out of crafting re-rolls, you still have one option left. You can now directly increase an items item level by 5, one level at a time. The cost of doing this is VERY expensive in terms of credits but if you've got a great piece of gear you simply can't conscious replacing, now, you can at least keep it current for a little while. Lastly, you can add sockets to items even if they have zero to begin with. However doing this requires one of the max tier crafting resources, which basically means if you want to add sockets to shit, you have to be breaking down Archeotech gear, which is really really rare. All in all, I like it, it's much more streamlined and reliable than the old system. A little sad their original crafting system didn't pan out because it was a cool idea, but it made almost no sense when you could spend all these resources and time to craft a new item only to have a new drop completely invalidate it. Sockets and what not I'm still not totally sold on, but I have very little exposure to it yet.

-Missions. Before, you had to operate on a sector by sector basis using the star map to decide where to spend your time. While I love the star map, it was pretty tedious constantly zooming in and out of sectors bouncing around trying to find missions at the right challenge level. The star map is still there, you can browse that way if you want, but now there's just a browser window that displays all the missions near to your level, and it lists the enemies you'll face, the map, the mission type and the sector its in and how much influence you currently have there. There's a section for all the special kinds of missions to, and the special locations, so all your mission planning and execution can be done in one spot. Very nice, even though you basically have no reason to look at the star map ever again.

-Challenge system is gone. Previously, on any mission you could say what difficulty level you wanted it at, and it'd inflate the power level of the enemies and the rewards. I never liked it, personally. I always seemed to be picking stuff like "Impossible difficulty" or "Insane difficulty" just so I was actually challenged. All that shit is gone now. The level of the mission is the level of the mission. If it's 4 higher than your currently level, it's a hard mission and you're dealing like -75% damage and taking +185% damage.

-Tarot missions are now integrated into regular missions. Previously you had to queue up a Tarot mission which cost you fate. By choosing the tarot cards you'd dictate what the enemies were, what kind of mission it was, what additional challenges would be added to the tarot mission (limited time, limited deaths, etc....) and what kind of loot you'd expect to see. Now, you can add Tarot cards to any mission you're doing (except priority assignments.) Tarot cards sorta still function the same but with some differences. Each Tarot card you use just gives you a flat bonus to loot. But then each one will increase the chances of what you might get. (So one card increases the chances of Archeotech Shards dropping, etc and so forth.) No longer do Tarot cards dictate what enemies you'll face, that's determined by the mission you apply them to. And THEN the "malus" part of cards has been randomized. Cards will generically say "Will apply a penalty to your character's defenses" or "Enhance enemy attack" and this can be anything from all enemies are now Heavily Armored, to Time Limits, to Death Limits, to Can't Use Your Inoculator" and more. You only know what malus has been applied once you've chosen a Tarot card for the mission and once chosen it can't be changed until the mission is beaten or failed. They also added a rare set of "Tarot Emblems" that, like the old system, make very specific the loot that will drop. So one might be "Get more glory for the mission" or "Get more credits" or "Have belt items drop". So now you can really tailor mission difficulty and reward to exactly what you want and what you can tolerate but there's still a slightly random element to it. FWIW I was doing red difficulty missions with my Psyker with No Inoculator healing and double Heavily Armored for enemies and still managing to squeak by, although often by the skin of my teeth. Lastly, there's drops you can earn when using Tarot cards in missions that upgrade said tarot cards so the bonuses (and penalties) get stronger.

-Warzone is no longer the end game. Everything you've done in the warzone up until now was converted into a flat Credit and Fate reward and everyone's warzone progress was zeroed out. You can still play the warzone missions but there's no longer the warzone gear or modifiers except what comes with the mission itself.

-The new endgame is "Void Crusades." I haven't had any real exposure to them, but they basically remind me of the sequential missions of Warzones. There's two kinds (two paths) to the Crusades. In order to get in to them and progress them, you need to get Void Shards as part of mission rewards. Get enough and you can start a Void Crusade, and then you'll need to unlock each part of it. There's the "White Crusade" and the "Black Crusade" variety of Void Shards. No idea what the difference is between them.

-Ragna now sells a lot more stuff. This is more crafting related, but there's relic, ancient relic and archeotech relic crafting recipes now, all of which she sells. Seems like her recipes start at Artificer and only go up from there, no more green recipes, although maybe that's based on your character level. (It sure as hell isn't based on our cabal unlocks :P) She also just sells straight up loot crates for all rarity levels, which cost a hefty (500+) chunk of Fate. All the consumable buffs are still for sale as well.

I saved this for last but it's arguably the most important:

-Massive improvements to performance. I don't know what they did. Did they clean up levels, or remove a bunch of extra shit that was just clogging things up? I dunno but the game plays a hell of a lot smoother now. I suspect its some kind of culling because I see guys occasionally disappear then reappear, but man. Before the game would dip below 30 FPS on the reg, sometimes when there's combat, but sometimes when you're just running around too. Now it plays way smoother, my character feels faster and more responsive, my attacks seem faster.....it was an immediate thing I noticed. I'm sure some stuff still runs like shit (Warzones) but general mission gameplay actually feels good to play now throughout. Big ups for this one.

They've added more grind overall with these changes but it's come with a ton of QoL upgrades that make it less tedious to play. Crafting feels like it may be worth the time to invest in now. There's more kinds of rewards to look for and more ways to control difficulty and what you're getting out of it. I'm still not sure if it's balanced. I remember the last time I played there's a repeatable special mission that's still in game where I'd walk out of it with 5 or 6 Relics because my Psyker is just that broken. Begged the question why I would spend my time doing anything else for gear. No idea if that stuff has been rebalanced or not but I plan to check it out.

Martyr feels like it's at the point I could recommend it to friends who have been waiting to get in to it. If you're already a Martyr player, might be worth your time to pop back in and check it out as well.

I know I'm just rehashing what Biowrath posted months ago but I guess I felt the need to write.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 05:49:48 pm by nenjin »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2020, 07:09:13 pm »

Nice writeup Nenjin. I now regret not grabbing this last time it had a good sale.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2020, 10:33:07 pm »

Well they probably likely rebalanced the City Of Suffering mission. I only got three relics out of it instead of 12 like last time.

Scored 3300ish though so *blows immaterium off fingernails* still got it.

And 4k Maelstrom of Carnage!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:17:03 am by nenjin »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2020, 05:02:37 am »

more items and crafting mechanics are nice and all, but is the combat loop better or is it still the same countdown masher simulator?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2020, 10:42:51 am »

If by that you mean "hit your shit as soon as it's off cooldown" then yeah, it's still the same game. But that's pretty standard for most aRPGs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]