Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall in the middle of a river  (Read 2134 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall in the middle of a river
« on: September 02, 2017, 02:08:48 am »

Is it possible for a waterfall to occur in the middle of a single river? I have only ever found waterfalls in locations where one river connects to another. I'm asking because I wanted to try my hand at a large dam project, and having to only work with one river would be a lot simpler and better looking than working with two. From what I've been seeing, such a thing doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall in the middle of a river
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:30:17 am »

It is definitely possible. In one of my active forts I have a single river and a waterfall. At some point I dammed the river and built entrance to the fort behind the waterfall. I also made two holes in the riverbed that go through main entrance corridor and tavern/dining room, and then exit to lower part of the river. Now I have a waterfall in front of the entrance and two waterfalls inside of the fortress.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:51:19 am »

Yes but as far as I've seen brooks, streams, and rivers only change elevation at the edge of embark tiles--unless merging with another watercourse as you already mentioned. So If you embark on one side of the waterfall only, you see it as a normal map edge and never know it's there.

I find that IsoWorld (my copy is by way of PeridexisErrant's LNP) helps at least narrow down the possibilities if I'm looking for specific topography.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:18:29 am by mightymushroom »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:15:44 am »

Well, if you find such place I suppose you could embark on it with dfhack at least. Haven't really looked into it, but I know 15x15 default embark square + embark anywhere gets borked with offset square like that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:58:34 am »

Waterfalls occur when the river elevation changes within the embark (which basically means the embark needs to be larger than single tile. Note that river elevation is separate from mid level tile elevation (although those are usually the same), so a river crossing through an embark with different elevations on the mid level tiles the river passes through gives you a good chance of finding a waterfall. Unless you find it too cheaty, you can also modify the future embark just before emarking using my regionmanipulator tool http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.msg7454345#msg7454345.

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 05:01:41 pm »

My current Fortress has one river with a 15z water fall. It's hot and evil wasteland with regular dust storms and giant zombies. Maybe not a "simpler" embark than dealing with multiple rivers though.

I can get a screenshot if you're interested.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:23:52 am »

I had a very large Z water fall embark several years ago. It was very interesting with an easy facility for water based defenses designedto wash goblin invaders out of the entrance hall, but very problematic for FPS.

*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”