Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?  (Read 16092 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2017, 11:15:30 pm »

last age poll I remember on this forum had the average age of players in their low twenties. It showed a pretty typical distribution of ages for more "mature" games: low preteen pop, middling teen pop, high late teen/early twenties, dropped off significantly around twentyfive, a trickle of players in the higher ranges.

Zagskrag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »

The very first attempt from me was around the age of 14, but that was just a bit of scratching the surface and quitting. I would consider the serious "start" to have been around the age of 17 if I recall correctly. Now I'm 3 days from turning 25.

dobrebaby

• Escaped Lunatic
  • dobre ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »

I'm almost 23.

Now I'm 3 days from turning 25.

Happy late birthday!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »

Note that due to the likely (based on previous poll attempts and anecdotal reports) distribution of ages, the median age is probably a lot more useful a result than the average (mean) age, if you are interested in what a "typical DF player" is like.  The number of comparatively older people is likely to skew the average (mean) up above the median, whereas the median is more what people think when they think "typical". 

E.g. the average (arithmetic mean) household income in the US is over $76k, but the median income is $56k; the disproportionate long tail at the top end skews things.  (Obviously, age ranges are not nearly as skewed, but the principle is the same.) 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:15 am »

Note that due to the likely (based on previous poll attempts and anecdotal reports) distribution of ages, the median age is probably a lot more useful a result than the average (mean) age, if you are interested in what a "typical DF player" is like.  The number of comparatively older people is likely to skew the average (mean) up above the median, whereas the median is more what people think when they think "typical". 

E.g. the average (arithmetic mean) household income in the US is over $76k, but the median income is $56k; the disproportionate long tail at the top end skews things.  (Obviously, age ranges are not nearly as skewed, but the principle is the same.) 

Well this isn't even addressing response bias. I'll bet less than 1% of dwarf fortress players even use the forums. And a fraction of that are going to respond to this post.

But 'How old is the average dwarf fortress player, that also participates on the forum, and also is willing to respond to my forum post' will probably hit a character limit at some point.

Captain Pedantic away!

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2017, 10:58:03 am »

Wow, I'm only 25, wasn't expecting to be older than so many of you, particularly a couple well-known (to me) faces.

I mean I look about 16 due to good genetics so I'm still winning but come on

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 11:02:59 am »

28.5 years old, been playing since 2008 ;v
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gigabytebob

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 05:53:30 pm »

im 14 started playing 2 years ago
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

Turn those goblinoid uglybolds into adorable cutebolds

Admiral Badger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 06:03:23 pm »

A few months off 22 here. I started playing in 2013 I think, and I also believe it was reading about Boatmurdered on TVtropes that brought me here.

Melange

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:52 am »

17, started playing 5 days ago.

First impressions of the game: All of the Dwarfs need Psychiatric help, but a Dwarf psychiatric would most likely get caught up in their own mortality and then become a Necromancer, raise an army of undead boars leading to Fun.

All in all great game
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2017, 03:57:08 am »

I am 417. I'm an elf from the great forest. Love the friendly community here.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2017, 09:04:35 pm »

Huh, don't usually wander to this part of the forums, was poking around curiously due to hopefully an impending release soon.

Anywho, 42, and looks like I signed up for the forums (which is around the same time I started) in 2011, so when I was 36.

(Also one of those female-types that everyone knows don't play video games ;) Although honestly that trope's kinda outdated too, since I don't think anyone really thinks that anymore?)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »

I started playing in 2007, signed up on the forum in 2009. I am 40 now, 30 when I started. I play regularly but only visit forums once a year or so now. I'm sure that's a, relatively, common theme.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 10:49:50 pm »

I used to be very active on these forums, I first came here about 7 years ago. I'm 25 now, and don't come around nearly as much anymore.

It's strange, having this place as a constant while so many other things changed.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7