Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?  (Read 16079 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »

pushing 50! I don't remember how long I've been playing DF but the forum says since 2007. I imagine at some point some of us are going to start dying off. Are we all still here?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »

Well can't say whether anyone's dead, but lots of people have certainly left the community since it started (not that I've been part of it all that long, just going off of what others say).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »

Well can't say whether anyone's dead, but lots of people have certainly left the community since it started (not that I've been part of it all that long, just going off of what others say).

People come and go. That's the nature of forums. And life in general.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »

19, going on 20 in May, I might skip that though and go straight to 21  :P I started playing in... '09? I really don't recall much about when I started playing, other than dozens of worlds in my save folder before I figured out where to go to delete them, haha!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2017, 12:10:20 am »

People come and go. That's the nature of forums. And life in general.

True enough. At least we're still active enough as a community to get new people every now and again (like myself).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:31 am »

I am older than time itself. I will still be here when these stars are gone, and I will see the empty sky.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2017, 02:22:43 am »

I am older than time itself. I will still be here when these stars are gone, and I will see the empty sky.

...Cthulhu? Is that you?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2017, 09:26:19 am »

Well, I gained the ability to LEGALLY drink booze this year and the earliest version i remember playing was .34 but probably much earlier than that version. I'm good at making forts die of !!lag!! if that counts as being good at DF.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 11:08:10 am »

Well, I gained the ability to LEGALLY drink booze this year
I'm none-the-wiser, good work on being ambiguous. Especially if you're being this devious at five years of age. ;)

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:31 pm »

22, started.. uh, probably ~4-5 years ago (but didn't play for 2 years)
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 03:56:49 am »

Sorry for the late results, it's now on the first post.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2017, 05:54:11 am »

(You'd think, being on Android right now, I could use the app the Google resource suggests I use to open the document (linked to near the end of the link in the first post), but apparently it's not supported on my device. Also selecting and copying and trying to paste the data into my own spreadsheet app results in nothing pasted (HTML format?). Nor will it paste as denatured into a notepad-clone (for me to re-tabdelimit, then paste across). I can't even download the .xlsx (urgh! .xls was good enough for my father before me, my grandfather before him and my great-great-grandfather before him (the Boer War intervened), and it's good enough for me!).)

What would be useful would be a scatterplot of First Played (10-15, ..., 70+) against Last Played (unknown, 10-15, ..., 70+) with the dots at each node being sized/spectrally-coloured according to numbers so represented, or either of those against {difference between range mid-points, as a double-approximation of time dedicated}, as a stacked bar-graph maybe. And i would have gladly done that for you all, but for the described difficulties stopping me from extracting the raw data for the henceforth trivial analysis.

If anybody else gets to have a go, prior to my return to machines with actual keyboards and sensible software, you're welcome to do so.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:57:17 am by Starver »

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:53 am »

Well, I gained the ability to LEGALLY drink booze this year
I'm none-the-wiser, good work on being ambiguous. Especially if you're being this devious at five years of age. ;)
ROFL 'Merica (hint)

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2017, 08:55:03 pm »

I'm 37. Been playing since 2010 and I'm still learning new things about the game on a regular basis.

StopGamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2017, 05:00:21 am »

25, playing from 2010
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7