Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?  (Read 15977 times)

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2017, 11:23:27 am »

I'm 31 years old, and I've been playing since my early 20s. I lurked on the forums for years before finally registering in 2014. Its kind of odd thinking of just how long I've been following this game.

Several of my friends who play are also the same age as me. I think the playerbase is far more diverse than any one poll can accurately depict. I've taken several breaks from the game that span months, and its not unheard of for players to year long breaks. Interesting to see where it sits regardless.

MnemonicMorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:43 am »

I'm 20.

Only recently managed to create my first successful fortress. Took me couple tries over the years where I would constantly dig simple holes, designate one stockpile for everything and get my dwarves starved to death when I couldn't figure out farming and that cooking made seeds disappear

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:32 pm »

EDIT: I LIED! Went browsing my post history and found the truth: found DF in 2008. I have a vague memory of playing the 2D version though...
First release for me was 40b or 40c (ie. 0.28), but I played 'the Boatmurdered version' for a bit before grappling with stairs and pump stacks.

32 now, been playing for about 10 years? Doesn't seem that long really.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2018, 08:37:48 pm »

I figured it out in two evenings :P
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:54 am »

Same. DF's difficulty is often quite overestimated; with the quickstart guide on the wiki it's pretty easy.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2018, 10:06:10 pm »

That was also my experience. It's really difficult...until you read the wiki. Then it's just a question of how high your standards are.

I'm 35, been on hiatus for a while and came back, mostly because the holiday gave me some spare time that is about to vanish. I joined this forum in 2013. I would guess I started playing back in 2011 or so? Funny how hard it is to remember, and of course I deleted all the old versions. Must've been 31 point something.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2018, 11:28:00 pm »

I watched Captain Duck, then after that found answers on the wiki.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2018, 07:25:06 am »

I'm 20.

Only recently managed to create my first successful fortress. Took me couple tries over the years where I would constantly dig simple holes, designate one stockpile for everything and get my dwarves starved to death when I couldn't figure out farming and that cooking made seeds disappear

you can disallow plump helmets from being used in cooking, which preserves your seeds for future generations to use.

as for the question itself: im 24. been playing for some 4 or 3 years or so now??? took a half a year break last year. now im back and failing my way through making my first fort (its not that it failed..its just extremely uneventful and ugly looking fort...)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]