Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Residency and rooms assigned to a location  (Read 2163 times)

Another Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Residency and rooms assigned to a location
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:02:39 pm »

So, when you make a tavern/inn, you can make a bedroom and 'l' assign it to that tavern/inn. Then, visitors granted residence will use such rooms.

But what about visitors from libraries and temples? Should they have their own rooms assigned to respective locations as above, or will they use tavern/inn rooms, despite coming to a temple or library? Rooms assigned for libraries and temples don't show 'available for long-term residency' status as tavern/inn does so no idea what they actually do.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Residency and rooms assigned to a location
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:35:40 pm »

Rooms assigned to temples and libraries don't do anything right now (they just get claimed like regular bedrooms). Incomplete feature or bug? Not sure. Made a bug report a while ago anyhow.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:46 pm »

I think it is so that you can make any kind of room a temple. For example, temple is actually a dining room defined from an "altar". I imagine dwarves go into bedrooms assigned to a temple and pray, too?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »

No. Bedrooms associated to taverns/temples/libraries are not those kinds of locations. The tavern is the restaurant and the room(s) is the hotel, if you will (and monastery cells/staff facilities for temples/libraries). Also, there is nothing to block you from painting temple/tavern/library zones where ever you want.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:12:26 pm »

I just remembered why I defined the room from a table. It was due to the size restriction on zones. I assume if I just painted the room in zones and assigned them all to the temple, it would count as 4-5 seperate rooms, right?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:54 am »

I just remembered why I defined the room from a table. It was due to the size restriction on zones. I assume if I just painted the room in zones and assigned them all to the temple, it would count as 4-5 seperate rooms, right?
No, zones assigned as one location count as one location (barring a possible stockk calculation bug or two) So you can have multiple level massive sprawling libraries for your scholars to get lost in.

--edit
Forget this reply. I think you're maybe talking about something different.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:03:50 am by Shonai_Dweller »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:34:44 am »

I am starting to wonder if visiting scholars require a room linked to a library location. In 11 years of fort, I only had monster hunters, bards, and soldiers apply for residency, but not a single scholar, even though there are plenty of visiting scholars perusing my library.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:49 am »

I am starting to wonder if visiting scholars require a room linked to a library location. In 11 years of fort, I only had monster hunters, bards, and soldiers apply for residency, but not a single scholar, even though there are plenty of visiting scholars perusing my library.
They don't. And if you try to set one it'll be claimed as a regular bedroom by a regular dorf. Assigning bedrooms to temples and libraries doesn't do anything right now.

Scholars will pick a tavern room when they apply (although most prefer to wander from town to town in a rough cycle - it's the scholarly way of life or something...).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:00 am »

A location is made up from all zones and rooms associated to it, but I would assume adjacent "parts" are not joined up to create a larger dance floor (which is the only case where I think size matters, apart from issues with single tile ones). If you split up your physically contiguous temple into multiple zones I would imagine it would restrict the size of the dance floor, but apart from that I don't think there's any difference (bedrooms associated to taverns are a separate case, as they have a distinct purpose as living quarters for residents).

@martinuzz: No. rooms associated to libraries and temples are not used by those, and resident scholars are fairly rare, but when you do get them (and accept them) they claim tavern rooms (this is based on 0.43.05 experience, not 0.44.0X, but I have no reason to assume that would have changed). (And Shonai_Dweller typed faster than I do...).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:27 am »

A location is made up from all zones and rooms associated to it, but I would assume adjacent "parts" are not joined up to create a larger dance floor (which is the only case where I think size matters, apart from issues with single tile ones). If you split up your physically contiguous temple into multiple zones I would imagine it would restrict the size of the dance floor, but apart from that I don't think there's any difference (bedrooms associated to taverns are a separate case, as they have a distinct purpose as living quarters for residents).

@martinuzz: No. rooms associated to libraries and temples are not used by those, and resident scholars are fairly rare, but when you do get them (and accept them) they claim tavern rooms (this is based on 0.43.05 experience, not 0.44.0X, but I have no reason to assume that would have changed). (And Shonai_Dweller typed faster than I do...).
It's early morning espresso time. :)

I find dance floor size does increase when you add more unconnected floor space. But haven't tried to calculate the exact algorithm it's using. Might be worth asking Toady.

Guests at least seem to spread out around large multi-zone taverns quite naturally. Multiple drinks piles and chests seem to work ok too.