Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 32908 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Link to Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1144821177/cultist-simulator-behold-our-end

Link to a free very early prototype: https://alexiskennedy.itch.io/cultist-simulator-prototype

Copy-pasted summary:

"Become a scholar of the unseen arts. Search your dreams for sanity-twisting rituals. Craft tools and summon spirits. Indoctrinate innocents. Seize your place as the herald of a new age.

Cultist Simulator is a narrative game that lets you play a seeker after unholy mysteries, in a 1920s-themed setting of hidden gods and secret histories. Perhaps you're looking for knowledge, or power, or beauty, or revenge. Perhaps you just want the colours beneath the skin of the world.

What you find may transform you forever. Every choice you make, from moment to moment, doesn't just advance the narrative - it also shapes it."

An image from the Kickstarter page, which shows the abstracted card-game-like mechanics:

This game is the next solo project by Alexis Kennedy, the guy who made Fallen London and Sunless Sea. Looks to have the same eerie and strange feel to it. I haven't backed the Kickstarter, and in light of recent crowdfunding debacles I probably won't, but I believe it is a game worth keeping an eye on regardless.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:59:05 pm by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by Alexis Kennedy)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »

My eye is firmly set on this one.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by Alexis Kennedy)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:17:28 pm »

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718670/Cultist_Simulator/

Just released, and I can't recommend it enough ;D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i've played it a bunch. it's hugely frustrating at times but also amazing

definitely get

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Shit.

I wasn't sure I wanted to play another game by Alexis after SS but I pretty much have to try this. Surprised I missed this when posted.

Whatever happened with Sunless Skies anyways? Was it good?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Sunless Skies is in Early Access with full release due in September.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This feels almost exactly like Underhand (refer to the Pocket Gaming thread) except it's much more expansive and you're juggling multiple things at the same time, instead of dealing with issues sequentially.

...I'd actually have to say that the art design and audio for that makes it superior, except for the fact that it's quite limited.  Having said that, I:m on my second attempt here, and I'm quite enjoying some of the little touches and starting to crack how some to balance some of the resources. It's definitely got potential, but could use further work.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Is there a way to increase the size of the text? Its really small for me, and the text is the whole point of the game, so not being able to see it well is really annoying.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Ptw, haven't made up my mind on this yet

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Is there a way to increase the size of the text? Its really small for me, and the text is the whole point of the game, so not being able to see it well is really annoying.

That was a common issue for people in Sunless Sea. I think they fixed it there? I'd be surprised if they hadn't learned their lesson.

Also apparently if you buy the game before the 7th of June you get the "Perpetual Edition" which means you get all the DLCs free FOR LY4E. Even though there aren't any right now.

I dunno about that. For one, I've never been that impressed with Failbetter's follow through. Fallen London is a pretty good example of lenty of stuff they've said they'd do over the years they haven't. For two, while it sounds like a great deal at no extra cost to you, it could just be a cynical ploy to drive sales. And for three if it IS a good deal, are they gonna sell like, 99 cent classes as DLC? Kinda go the Crusader Kings route?

It's a pretty minor quibble and I'll probably pick up the game soon if not tonight. But something about that promise....just doesn't sit quite right with me after the hundreds of hours spent playing FB games.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:07:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can zoom in and out of the entire table, which shifts the size of everything, including the text. I think I spotted options about the size of text in the menu, but I was okay with the default so I didn't look too closely. I'll be able to confirm in a few hours when I get back to my system.

Edit: No, that slider doesn't change the size of all the textboxes; it changes the size of the... uh... info dock at the bottom of the screen and the card details in the upper right. There's also a setting for Worm/Bird that defaults to worm... not sure what it is, but my hunch says it's difficulty?

Minor victory on the third lap--
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:00:06 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got and played it yesterday. It’s definitely a very unique game and I’m looking forward to continue after work.
I will need to play more to know if I think it’s a good game.

One warning: My feeling is that you can destroy this game for yourself with wikies and guides.
I.e. my impression is that the game loop is something like.

Argh, I need a card of type X!
Hmm, I got a X card by doing Y.
Yes, - doing Y is a reliable way of getting X cards.
Argh, now I need a card of type Z.

The process of discovering 'cause and effect' is (as far as I have experienced) the game, so while it must be tempting to consult a wiki to get through difficult situations, then doing so will not leave much else in this game.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So. Uh. It appears to be possible to skip triggering key events, rendering your game unwinnable(?). Like not encountering your first follower, which will prevent you from getting the Talk option, which basically eliminates the entire 'build a cult' side of things, which removes the impact of the Hunters. That, or I somehow missed the precise requirements for it for like two hours, when my last few tries got it in the first five minutes.

Edit: Not a bug.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:53:34 am by Aoi »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One warning: My feeling is that you can destroy this game for yourself with wikies and guides.

yep, this is 100% correct. with spoilers, this game is pretty much Solitaire.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13