Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 32912 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's true for all FB games. They're narrative games. Using guides and wikis to know what the optimal decisions to make are pretty much takes away the sole reason for playing the game. Sunless Sea had mild RPG or twitch elements but not nearly enough to carry the whole game without the narrative hook as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Well this was interesting. Bought game. Played game.

Fun. But on the other hand, what the heck is going on? What goes with what? How do I keep track of all this stuff? Gah!

That's part of the fun, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really enjoying this. I thought I'd be a little put off by the format but it's got just the right amount of gee whiz while being very simple. The chill soundtrack helps and shuffling your life around is oddly...satisfying. I've just been dicking around exploring ways to make funds on the reg and collect some lore, restarted more than a few times as I picked up more of what to do. I haven't even started a discrete gathering of intellectual discourse yet.

So yeah, thumbs up.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It gets weird when you start unlocking the ascension marks. That is all.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bought this because it looked interesting despite the dry tabletop interface. I'm trying to like it because the narrative/exploration is really thrilling, but the interface is still making me want to ask for a refund. It's not just the dryness of it, it's also way too messy and has that perspective effect that makes reading stuff uncomfortable and makes your eyes hurt. It would probably work really well with a tablet, where organizing the tabletop with a touchscreen is less of a chore and all the text is right in front of your nose, but it's just painful on a PC.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:53:53 pm by Uristides »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Bought this because it looked interesting despite the dry tabletop interface. I'm trying to like it because the narrative/exploration is really thrilling, but the interface is still making me want to ask for a refund. It's not just the dryness of it, it's also way too messy and has that perspective effect that makes reading stuff uncomfortable and makes your eyes. It would probably work really well with a tablet, where organizing the tabletop with a touchscreen is less of a chore and all the text is right in front of your nose, but it's just painful on a PC.
I ended up refunding it for this reason. It was just awful on my eyes. I like how there's options to increase the size of the UI at the bottom, but there's nothing to fix the majority of the text.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny you say that, because I WAS playing this on a tablet (Surface), and promptly gave that up in favor of using the touchpad.

The only thing I've actually been able to enjoy playing on a tablet, that wasn't explicitly designed for a touch interface from the start, was Beyond Earth, which has a tablet mode tacked onto it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I complained about the interface during the backer alpha, and they recommended switching to a touchpad. haven't tried it yet but the interface is definitely the thing that keeps me from spending more time with it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

I love the concepts but the interface looks absolutely awful and listening to people talk about the gameplay as like a clicker or spinning plates... just doesn't sound like something I could get into.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah ... tried it, and I don't find it good.

The gameplay is lacking, since the game is oriented around the stories that come up during your games, but with the small text size and fake 3D perspective (which is just useless in this sort of tabletop interface), the lack of auto-pause, ...

I really don't recommend it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm loving it so far tbh but I can see the flaws. The lore is enough to keep me coming back for now, I'm way over the refund period anyway.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I lovvve this game but I'd love anything Alexis Kennedy wrote tbh

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Been playing it a bit and loving it, but I am just wondering if there are any hotkeys that aren't explained, because it seems like even just a few would help a huge deal.

Most notably I was wondering if there was a hotkey to close open menus or a hotkey to make a card move into a open slot without having to drag it in. A quick check on the interwebs doesn't show any info on hotkeys though, so I suspect that they probably don't exist.
I'm loving it so far tbh but I can see the flaws. The lore is enough to keep me coming back for now, I'm way over the refund period anyway.
Yeah, there are definitely some things that would make it all a lot better. For instance being able to set hard spawn points for cards and events (so that they always spawn in that exact location and kick out anything that is there 100%) would be great. Or the ability to increase the card text size, which while not an issue at my current zoom level is quite annoying given that it makes me not want to zoom out as well as things spawning off screen at the current zoom level. Or some way to grab cards *under* open menus instead of having to move the menu or grab the card first.
An auto-repeat option would also be nice, but given how it would change the dynamic I don't think they will implement it.

That all said, the interface still works pretty damn nice.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly can't wait to play more. Just other things I have to play first ><
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:30:25 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Nenjin, that is something that took me two whole playthroughs to understand, just through experimentation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13