Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 33262 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Well, I think the main missed potential was narrative anyway. Having generic secrets instead of properly drafting out the cults and writing a fuller system just didn't work well in my opinion.

I don't think this is going to change. You can describe Alexis' entire style as "generic secrets." Going back to Fallen London, the fact no one gets a proper name, and everything said is elusive at best.....that's just how he writes I believe. Specificity undercuts the magic he tries to create. Granted, go down a narrative path with him long enough and you'll arrive at something vaguely concrete. (I.e. the Dawn Machine.) But for big overarching concepts and themes and essences, which is really what Cultist Simulator boils down to, the fact they stay rather vague and nebulous makes them broadly applicable as themes to just about anything.

Not that I'm criticizing your wish, I've often wished this from his games as well. Maybe if he does it will turn out to be good. But after this many years and this many games hinging on his particular style and vision of content...I don't really see it changing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I think the main missed potential was narrative anyway. Having generic secrets instead of properly drafting out the cults and writing a fuller system just didn't work well in my opinion.

I don't think this is going to change. You can describe Alexis' entire style as "generic secrets." Going back to Fallen London, the fact no one gets a proper name, and everything said is elusive at best.....that's just how he writes I believe. Specificity undercuts the magic he tries to create. Granted, go down a narrative path with him long enough and you'll arrive at something vaguely concrete. (I.e. the Dawn Machine.) But for big overarching concepts and themes and essences, which is really what Cultist Simulator boils down to, the fact they stay rather vague and nebulous makes them broadly applicable as themes to just about anything.

Not that I'm criticizing your wish, I've often wished this from his games as well. Maybe if he does it will turn out to be good. But after this many years and this many games hinging on his particular style and vision of content...I don't really see it changing.
I don't mean he should explain everything, I just want to to be a known unknown; if it's an unknown unknown then I'm not a part of the narrative at all. I found Sunless Sea to do this quite much better for the most part. Even there he tends to be less specific than, say, Lovecraft (whose monsters are memed as unknowable) but you still have a firm grasp on what's going down at least with regards to your own character, I found the individual island explorations to be individually interesting there, even if they didn't all stitch together so easily, I don't think they needed to. Cultist Simulator is, I feel like, the opposite. Everything is too connected while the elements (for example, the different cults) have too little going on individually.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:55:46 pm by Cruxador »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, yeah, there is the stylistic/game design arrangement of Cults <-> Elements <-> Themes. But that's straight up occult logic.

I think part of the problem was, in the initial release, there were just gaps. Only a few cult ideologies felt fleshed out. The rest existed and had some purpose but weren't fleshed out to the degree the big three were.

Also the more I played, the more I appreciated how everything is constructed from the Mythos of Mansus. No, it wasn't clear or as narratively grounded as Sunless Sea....but I felt like once you'd gotten a handle on the Hours, it made more sense and you could read more in to everything.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:47:12 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2019, 01:39:14 am »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:01:44 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2020, 06:27:34 pm »

Well I have my Ascended Forge Victory. .07% of players have earned it, according to Steam.

This took me much longer to figure out than my first Minor Forge Victory, and honestly, caused me way more heartburn. I love this game but below I'm going to do some griping.

Spoiler: MEGA SUB SPOILER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TLDR spoilers (click to show/hide)

All in all I'm glad I got my Ascended Victory but man it was a slog to get there, and I spent a lot of time trying stuff out and pulling my hair out thinking I was missing something, and the one thing I truly WAS missing, I ended up spoiling for myself because of inconsistent lore and generally just being burnt out on trying stuff.

TLDR: If you're going for an Ascended Victory, prepare for Long Hours.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:53:59 pm by nenjin »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2020, 03:44:13 am »

Congratulations! I didn't have the patience for this game's style of gameplay. I can understand the appeal of figuring out clues and advancing, but the level to which everything is made vague and deliberately obtuse to add a layer of difficulty turned me off from it. I admire that you were able to stick it out to handle such a complex achievement.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2020, 05:03:17 am »

Congratulations! I didn't have the patience for this game's style of gameplay. I can understand the appeal of figuring out clues and advancing, but the level to which everything is made vague and deliberately obtuse to add a layer of difficulty turned me off from it. I admire that you were able to stick it out to handle such a complex achievement.
It's really not so bad once you put some time in. The game encourages experimentation to discover things but it does give you hints along the way. Like rituals, you have no idea what to put in but the game will subtly guide you with hints if you start putting different aspects in. You can also get some clues if you carefully read the descriptive texts of some books, locations, item, etc. My very first minor victory was just to retire with a nice senior position at G&G and leave all the cult nonsense behind, heh.

Once you figure out a good steady stream of income you have a lot of time to mess about and explore the lore. If that is too slow for you, you can always look some things up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2020, 04:02:16 pm »

Yeah, I don't want to claim that it's some super feat of gaming to get an AV in Cultist Simulator, or that all the moving parts are necessarily that complex. It's just the figuring out of these things, what the game wants, the constant trial and error, and what feels like the obligatory 30 hours of play time to get everything you need. Taken as a whole then it feels like an ordeal, even for someone that felt they "got" Cultist Simulator after a Cult Minor Victory.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2020, 09:33:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't want to claim that it's some super feat of gaming to get an AV in Cultist Simulator, or that all the moving parts are necessarily that complex. It's just the figuring out of these things, what the game wants, the constant trial and error, and what feels like the obligatory 30 hours of play time to get everything you need. Taken as a whole then it feels like an ordeal, even for someone that felt they "got" Cultist Simulator after a Cult Minor Victory.
My biggest complaint about the ascension is that to even try it you need to have won in your previous game. Not "won at some point" but "if you didn't win the literal last time you played you have to spend 10 more hours winning again to even try it". Now, if you won after the ascension came out of course you would just try the ascension next, but if (like me) you won shortly after the release of the game you wouldn't have.
In order to avoid this problem I cheated by editing the start file so I wouldn't have to waste a dozen hours, but (like many things in the game) it is was a terrible design decision to do it that way.
My own ascension had my most glorious time with the game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2020, 09:46:48 pm »

Yeah I should add, I was lucky enough to get the Weary Detective for my Ascension playthrough. When you've got someone that semi-competent, you leave their ass alone.

Also the math on dealing with Damning Evidence is pretty savage I think. Even with 10 you're more likely to fail than not.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2020, 08:28:48 am »

So, I've pretty much achieved a Grail major victory, I have all the stuff I need to complete the ritual. Unfortunately it seems I've managed to get myself stuck in a very stupid way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know a good way to deal with rivals? I've tried googling around but haven't found a great answer.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2020, 11:27:36 am »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2020, 01:30:19 pm »

"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2020, 02:49:39 pm »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »

You can always just edit the save file to remove the problem via removing the problematic cards and then just putting them back after your event procs properly.

Yes, its cheating, but if the game is being stupid and doesn't give you any other choices due to presumably unintended interactions it might be the only thing you can do.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13