Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 32900 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can always just edit the save file to remove the problem via removing the problematic cards and then just putting them back after your event procs properly.

Yes, its cheating, but if the game is being stupid and doesn't give you any other choices due to presumably unintended interactions it might be the only thing you can do.

Yeah I thought of that. I might back up the save file and see if I can deal with them legitly without dieing. Then if I end up getting murdered I'll reload and edit the rivals out.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:22 pm »

FWIW, "Unintended consequences" is why the major victories are hard at all. You don't know what you're going to need or what will happen to it until after it's happened. It's almost like Major Victories were designed to have you fail at least once so you'd have to go through it all again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »

So I won. Wahoo.

Just loaded up the game 15 minutes ago intending to take the long way, but then TOA decided to stop being annoying and spat out the card I needed.

FWIW, "Unintended consequences" is why the major victories are hard at all. You don't know what you're going to need or what will happen to it until after it's happened. It's almost like Major Victories were designed to have you fail at least once so you'd have to go through it all again.

"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. Guess there's another DLC out today, "The Exile", where you can finally play a fully featured EDGE cultist.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=718670

It implies you'll play CS a very different way than you do with other Ascendancies. I'm curious but am a little burnt out of CS after my last go. I might dip my toe back in though, just to see how it starts.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's going to be out May 27.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hrm, I swear that wasn't there before. :\

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EXILE update arriving the 27th. Interesting note from their patch notes:

EXILE is now the same size as the entire of Cultist Simulator was at launch.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty different playthrough than any of the other DLCs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It's really very very different. And very very good.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile

Hmm, both the new cultist simulator DLC and Phantasy Star Online 2 pc release are on the 27th... hard choice.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I'm hoping they'll drop another batch of the Tarot of Hours to coincide with the Exile launch... so those of us with the Perpetual Edition can continue to throw money at them. Missed the last 2 (or more?) launches. -_-
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

I’ve been playing the Exile dlc and I must be missing something, because so far to me it’s just... not good?

Like there’s a lot of cool stuff but holy shit is it RNG-based. It’s RNG if you get the bad cards which immediately signal impending doom unless you move locations (which you can only do a certain number of times) unless you can afford the very expensive way of deleting said bad cards (and can do that in time).

It’s RNG if you actually get the opportunity to buy useful things. Want to do a heist or operation? Great! You just need 1-3 artifacts and 0-3 influences depending on said artifacts and heist.
What’s the only way to get these requirements? A single verb, which takes an annoyingly long time to run, has an annoyingly high chance to spawn the bad “trace” card each time it runs, and is very unlikely to give you anything useful. ESPECIALLY when you consider in order to buy things if you get lucky enough to even get the opportunity to buy things, you need funds which require operations or using some of your limited resources in a method that guarantees more trace cards for you.

So far to me it seems like there is some skill involved but it’s dwarfed by the metric ton of RNG at play. It feels like it’s just “explore your current location and hope you get enough good cards before you get a trace card, and there’s nothing you can do to affect these odds.”

So I really do hope I’m just completely missing some fundamental point of play here. Which is very possible.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spend those stolen years!, connections have a lot of influence.
Also kill those reckoners.
The game does give you more toys after the initial hurdle.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2020, 12:26:09 pm »

I actually had cultist for a while but I only got reaally into it this week.

And I'm hooked.

At a loss on how to explain the game to third parties though. Magic the Gathering solitaire with a lovecraftian bent?  Card based strategy/rpg?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2020, 01:42:23 pm »

Yeah, it's a hard one to classify.

It's a mix of story telling, time management and dice rolls, basically.

I found myself surprised how many times I've come back to Cultist Stimulator to replay it. It's one of those games, for me, where the story telling is a reason to replay where so many other games kinda fall down there. Granted, among the basic Cult motivations, most of them are the same. But the DLCs start mixing stuff up. Still have yet to play the Edge Cult DLC, looking forward to spending a week or so on that at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13