Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Cultist Simulator: Behold Our End (Kickstarter by creator of Sunless Sea)  (Read 33319 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since it seems a lot of you are more well acquainted with Alexis' work than I am(first of his games I'm playing), what's his post-release support like and how likely is it that future DLCs will touch those QoL issues apart from providing additional content?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bleh, just had a 10 hour game come to an end because I didn't notice a timer ticking down until it was too late.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Bleh, just had a 10 hour game come to an end because I didn't notice a timer ticking down until it was too late.
I lost my last one because I had no way to easily generate dread. I kept trying for the nightmare outcome from dreaming and just one dread would have saved me but alas...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Mmmmmm, I'd say 60% of what people complain about will get addressed. Upending core mechanics is unlikely. I wouldn't expect a ton of DLC either. Alexis has many games under his belt now, some still on going, some still cooking. He and Failbetter (which apparently is not who is made Cultist Stimulator) have said in many of their games that there'd be DLC. Sunless Sea got the one promised in the Kickstarter, and that's it. Fallen London is an ongoing game so there's loose "need to finish this up/expand this" bit all over the place.

Thing is with so many demands on him and a lot of the writing being his...he spreads himself around his games a little thinly IMO.

I think the Steam store page mentions something like two? DLCs for this at least?

If you're that on the fence about $17, I'd say so go play Fallen London for a little bit and see if you like what they're doing. Because there's a lot of similarities between it and Cultist.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:19:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I lost my last one because I had no way to easily generate dread. I kept trying for the nightmare outcome from dreaming and just one dread would have saved me but alas...
Yeah, it was the same for me. I only noticed when the timer was "find dread in 30 seconds or lose", though if I'd had 3 minutes I don't know if I could have done it either.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

By the way, the Perpetual Edition is the one being sold right now. If you pick it up before June 7th then you get all future DLC included. After June 7 it will just be the normal edition, same price, but no DLC included

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

That and I wish I could move whole stacks of cards.
You can actually move whole stacks by dragging the number in the corner instead of dragging by the middle of the card.
Yeah, it was the same for me. I only noticed when the timer was "find dread in 30 seconds or lose", though if I'd had 3 minutes I don't know if I could have done it either.
Dread is annoying, but presuming you catch it in time and don't notice it at the very last second you can deal with it, although wiping out a large stack of it is a pain.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:24:19 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

In my case I actually needed Dread to combat fascination. I lost due to getting 3 stacks of fascination and going bonkers.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I haven't figured out a good solution to fascination yet, but it comes very rarely anyway.

Very close to winning. So not to spoil, I'll just say I have 6 and seek 36.  And of course I've got a Fascination ticking, and can't find any dread.  Dreaming is risky, it can give you fascination.

I got a dread from an Old Unpleasant Far Off Things token, the temporary moth token that appears occasionally.

Spoiler: Thoughts on things (click to show/hide)

Esoteric hint:  The journey isn't one-way.  Once you Know you can come back, and if you Know, then you know what you can get for coming back.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:01:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Early on you'll go insane a lot, but once you're in deep hunters become the biggest problem.  They're not an immediate threat, but they nip away at you over time and they're very hard to get rid of.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:54:53 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love this game, I am obsessed with it, I dream about it, I am starting to literally connect elements of lore to real life (incidentally I love that the lore is waaay more literal and to the point than one might expect, underneath the symbolism, especially about numbers.) Yesterday around 4 am I realized how obvious the relationship between Moth and Lantern is, and how natural it is that Lantern should consume Moth. 

My aspirant died of despair, my cop who served Wood, in prison, my pretty young thing went mad from visions and fascination serving Chalice, my second aspirant starved in the service of Heart, begging in the streets, but my doctor, who serves Knock, endures.

Granted he nearly died when a run-away headless gorilla thing took his last health while he was already sick, but it turned out OK.

I have made it past the Door of Horn, I am among those in the Know. I have called on the Maid-in-Mirrors and sent her to destroy evidence, soon I will send her to gather a sacrifice, and the one who calls herself Teresa serves me full-time, sacrificing herself to herself, renewing herself endlessly.

I just figured out my Keys can burgle full-time.

This game is an amazing simulation of the Great Work, the total lack of guidance is an amazing feature.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:45:13 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Early on you'll go insane a lot, but once you're in deep hunters become the biggest problem.  They're not an immediate threat, but they nip away at you over time and they're very hard to get rid of.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes you will get a generally incompetent hunter who will only occasionally make and use evidence. Keep those alive and you are virtually safe from them, as long as you periodically send someone or something to destroy the evidence.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reading these threads is making me realize I'm just barely scratching the surface, despite what I thought was a pretty good amount of progress in four hours or so. I am happy about that.  :D
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13